Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomh79

by tomh79

frogtape777

by frogtape777

thanks, but not mega exo right, so more faffy than installing a shimano hollowtech II bb?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomh79

by tomh79

true...but I think so unfortunately...

TechnicalNut

by TechnicalNut

Thought I'd share how I saved 260g on my Tiagra Alloy Topstone (M), using saved bike parts ...& tubeless:
146g Tubeless
2g ti jockey bolts
3g swapped the cassette lock-ring from steel for alloy
18g swapped the two centre-loc rotor lock-rings from steel (silver) to alloy (black)
25g Changed the steerer fork bung to the Si Mod version
1g Headset dustcap and compression ring
1g Jagwire small front mech inline barrel adjuster
2g saved trimming hoses whist re-routing cables for UK brakes.
38g for push-in bar plugs!
24g swapped out the 11 cage bolts (from 4g each to 2g each)

Weighs 10.07kg (no pedals).

Devotional

by Devotional

Lads , without going through entire thread ,on an alloy 105 model can I stick on a new set of lighter wheels as is from the shop with 30-38mm tyres . Hunt, DT Swiss etc or do they need to be dished ?
Cheers

TechnicalNut

by TechnicalNut

Alloy Topstones don't need re-dishing, (unlike the Carbon models which do).

Devotional

by Devotional

Thanks pal

Sigurd

by Sigurd

frogtape777 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:06 pm
Anyone elses rear formula hub give kickback? If I stop peddling suddenly and resting foot at 6 oclock I get a thud and clunk as hub catches up. Also side to side play? My rear wheel moves 3-4mm between the stays. I think the hubs shot in less than 6 months, with not a massive amount of riding.

Looking at these, want DT Swiss around 1600 grams for gravel tyres, any other options?

https://www.bike24.com/p2334116.html
My rear wheel now has the same kickback symptoms. Disappointing, since the bike is less than one year old. I've used it through the winter here in Norway, which means plenty of road salt.

Will be looking for a new wheelset. Are Hunt 4Seasons any good, or are there better candidates in that price range? Must be able to withstand harsh winter conditions and easily servicable.

tomh79

by tomh79

frogtape777 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:40 pm
thanks, but not mega exo right, so more faffy than installing a shimano hollowtech II bb?
Hey @frogtape777 - have you installed your new crank on the Topstone? Any Feedback?

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

Just skimmed a lot of this thread, as a bike2work scheme Sora bike is on its way to me right now to replace the cobbled together franken-gravel bike I made out my old MTB.

I've seen various comments about replacing the cranks - word of caution on the Easton ec90. I've got those on my cross bike, and the bearings for a 30mm axle in a BSA thread frame aren't up to the abuse I'm going to give this Topstone (commute all winter whatever the weather, off roading, etc). I'll be using a 6800 crankset set up 1x anyway, as I have a stages power meter (hope it clears the chainstay!!)

I'm planning to move over a bunch of stuff from my other bike which should save a chunk of weight. 1x SRAM hydros (force lh, rival right!) With an old x7 type 2 rear mech and force 11-36 cassette. That should have a chunk of weight. I've got a Thomson post somewhere, and both 700 and 650b gravel wheels I built (novatec hubs, pacenti wheels on clearout, aci DB spokes, both about 1650g the pair). I'll try to be diligent and weigh everything as I take it off and post back the results. I'm not planning to spend loads of money on this, so let's see where it goes. Am hoping for around 9kg (size large)

tomh79

by tomh79

mr2scott wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:08 pm
My topstone is 9KG with computer mount, cages, sealant and pedals

dura ace 9000 53/39 crank
Isn't the Dura Ace 9000 chainline narrower than the one of the stock FSA crankset? And how does it work for you?
Thanks!

jemima

by jemima

Sigurd wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm
Will be looking for a new wheelset. Are Hunt 4Seasons any good, or are there better candidates in that price range? Must be able to withstand harsh winter conditions and easily servicable.

WheelProject might have a DT Swiss hub build to suit.
Curve Grovel ti.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Does anyone ride a Small here?

I'd naturally go for an XS.

Current road bike is

Reach 367
Stack 510
Seat tube angle 74
Stem 110, 6 Deg

Small Topstone frame

Reach 377
Stack 547
Seat tube angle 71
Stem (maybe slammed 90-100mm)

I looked at the pictures of an XS frame and as usual it's godamn ugly as sin. Im thinking a S would be ok but looking at the geometry, it'll be very very long and I'll probably use a 90-100 slammed mm stem (?)

XS photo:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-F81XdZCifzA/ ... CF2305.JPG

Am I good with a S frame?

Im slowly convincing myself to get a gravel bike after years of gravel riding with my fat bike. I forsee the chances of me doing those snow rides to be little to none in the future.

cerro

by cerro

I ride a Small Topstone Carbon 105.

Saddle height 72,8cm. 9cm drop with a 110mm -8 degree slammed stem.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B89OuyCldn1/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leonlikestrees

by leonlikestrees

So rebuilt mine. Since it arrived boxed, I never weighed complete, but I totally rebuilt with SRAM 1x (force left hand lever, rival right, flatmount front caliper, postmount rear), put a ritchey wcs stem and pro plt bar on, ultegra 6800 cranks (+stages power) with superstar raptor 40t ring, deda cork tape, X7 rear mech, force 11-36 cassette, Thomson elite post, ancient bontrager ti saddle (25 years old??), And pacenti cl25 rims laced with 28 aci spokes and alloy nipples to novatec d791/792 hubs, shod with gravelking SK 35 setup tubeless. Replaced all heavy steel boss bolts with alloy.

Total weight including m520 pedals, 2x plastic bottle cages , Garmin out front mount, and a pump: 9.039kg in size large. Happy with that! It'll go down slightly, as I haven't trimmed steerer yet, and I'm replacing the massive heavy conical headset spacer with a 5mm one.