Cannondale TOPSTONE 2019 is released

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

MountainAddict wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:22 pm

The Cannondale KP253 is what you're looking for to slam your stem. Worked perfectly on my CAAD12 and was much cheaper than a slamthatstem.com bearing cover.
Brilliant, thanks MA 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Shrike wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 am
MountainAddict wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:22 pm

The Cannondale KP253 is what you're looking for to slam your stem. Worked perfectly on my CAAD12 and was much cheaper than a slamthatstem.com bearing cover.
Brilliant, thanks MA 8)
No problem.

Just a heads up, I needed to use some FSA Microspacers in order to avoid the bearing cover rubbing on the frame. You may or may not need one of these (or a couple), just something to look out for.

triteacher

by triteacher

The Radavist has a great piece on the Apex model:
https://theradavist.com/2019/01/capabil ... ll-road/#1

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Damon any ideas is the cannondale save 15mm layback seatpost has a longer (or simply lower down) tapered part of post than the 0mm? It looks like the layback has to be run higher up than the inline, to not foul the narrower tube half way up.

Eg.

I've bought the 0mm one and the seatpost collar for my saddle height is around 10mm below the tapered area, just where the ruler starts here. I'm going to order the 15mm layback but on every picture I can see the tapered area seems to finish much lower down, meaning i'd be clamping the tapered area which wouldn't be good. Can you confirm they both stop the taper at the same measurement on the 27.2 / 380mm one?

Or is the taper lower down on the setback, to account for the curve at top and setback clamp?

tomh79

by tomh79

frogtape777 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Fitted the SKS Blumels 53mm mudgaurds next, went with the outside bosses, but the axle skewer wouldn't close past the boss bolt after the mudguard stays were in place, even tried undoing the skewer, repositioning, and tightening again, but it needs at least 2 full turns at that point to tighten fully, and didn't fancy undoing again to get another turn, especially in a puncture situation etc.
@frogtape777 do you think the 45mm Bluemels would work as well?

frogtape777

by frogtape777

Hey Tom,

I doubt it, would leave literally 2.5mm to clear each tyre which just wouldn't be enough, the 53mm is just spot on, literally just clears the tyres sticky outy loose rubber bits and in any super filthy mud doesnt jam up. The 53mm need perfect bolt fettle so each side is even and doesn't rub.

tomh79

by tomh79

thanks! will order 53mm - but the matte black one, I think.

Mark81

by Mark81

Just got my Topstone, 105 spec. My bike shop managed to get it in earlier than expected, wasn’t due until April. Had an hours ride on it this afternoon during a rare dry spell.

Even from such a short ride I know I’m going to enjoy using this bike. From previous comments I can confirm that the tyres roll really well on tarmac for a knobbly tread, I’ll have to wait to see what they are like on muddier trails as I’ve only been on gravel bridleways. I really like the new 105 groupset, the hoods are very comfortable and the shifting is so much lighter action than the 10speed 105 groupset on my road bike. I’m also glad Cannondale specked the fabric saddle, I have the same one on my mtb and I personally find it very comfortable.

Has anybody set theirs up tubeless yet? And if so was it a simple process? I’m contemplating doing it. Other than that all I have to do is get mudguards and put my rack on and I’m all set.

triteacher

by triteacher

My APEX1 arrived about a week ago and I‘d like to give some initial thoughts...

1) bike (size L) weighed in at 10.44kg right out of the box
2) when lifting up the bike you immediately feel that it is pretty heavy towards the rear end, probably due to the cheap cassette and the dropper post
3) changed tires to Gravel King Sk 43mm wide - still PLENTY of room front and rear
4) tubeless conversion was an absolute no-brainer - almost no weight gain, but much better performance I guess
5) exchanged Apex cranks with Force1 (175mm) - saving 174g
6) so far really not sure about the dropper post but will leave it on for a couple more weeks. The thing is definitely heavy as f...

Overall ride quality is superb. The bike feels super comfy yet surprisingly agile! High front end places me somewhat upright, so I placed the stem as low as possible right from the start.
Coming from Shimano road I needed to get used to SRAM‘s double tap, but must say the Apex system works really smooth and is very quiet. Jumps in between gears are pretty big at times though.

Need to get in some longer rides now as last week has mostly been commuting to work. Already thinking about some stiffer (and lighter!) wheelsImage... we‘ll see.

grover

by grover

If you do keep the dropper, get some shifter guts for your left brake lever. Then use the left shifter to actuate dropper instead of fiddly remote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7pAMLQsBmg

triteacher

by triteacher

Thanks - definitely worth considering. I change hand positions quite frequently when riding and the remote seems to be “in the way“, no matter where I place it.
Still - so far I am pretty sure I will ditch the whole thing... used to ride my Slate without a dropper for two years and never felt the need for one.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

If Cannondale is reading. Please make a 29er Slate with full internal routing, the Topstone is a first step in the right direction.

triteacher

by triteacher

Yeah, the Slate‘s 650b along with its relatively small clearance is what made me sell the bike in the end. I totally agree, a 29“ Slate would be rad Add a carbon frame and the bike will become one hell of a weapon...

Rhys1987

by Rhys1987

Hi new to the forum. I received my topstone apex last night Removed the dropper seat. With nuke proof plastic pedals and my old C4 seatpost it weighs 10.1 kg (medium) will change the set post for a zipp one as soon as it arrives through the post. Not yet worked out how to post pics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sigurd

by Sigurd

Hi

I'm new to this forum and currently looking for a bike to replace my old Giant FCR1 hybrid. I'm looking at the Cannondale Topstone, and wondering what size would be correct for me. I'm 186 cm tall (ca. 6' 1'') with a 89-90 cm inseam (ca. 35 7⁄16 inches). Cannondale doesn't seem to have any sizing charts for their bikes, so for inexperienced buyers like me, choosing the correct size becomes confusing. I guess I'm a size L or XL? I tried a Topstone in Large yesterday, and it felt fine, but wondering if an XL would be even better. They didn't have an XL for testing. They did have a Medium though, but didn't try it.

Tried a Trek Checkpoint AL4 as well in size 58. It felt lower in the front end with more weight on the hands/wrists. Is an even weight distribution between the hands an seat preferable on this kind of bike?

I have a Thule Chariot Lite carrier that I need to pull using the bike. Is the bike compatible with any of Thules thru-axles? The axle is 142x12mm, but is it coned or straight? What brand is it? What's the thread pitch? The information (page 4 and 5) from Thule is confusing: https://www.thule.com.au/wp-content/upl ... _All-B.pdf

Any help would be very appreciated. :D