Tire options for gravel riding

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Marin wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm
That's not a Gravelking in the Heine pic.

Roadside reinflation with a hand pump is a fantasy IMO, if the tire deflates you put a tube in.
Yes is not GK.. but same maker.. same tire essentially. Just a slightly different 'wrapper'.

If I had to carry tubes I would not bother tubeless. Bonafide tubeless tires will reseat/reinflate roadside .. the Gravel Dog will not after seeing some use.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have had tubeless flat with a road tyre and lost all air then plugged well enough to get 30 psi to get me home. It's not a fantasy if the tyre remain seated.

IRC broken is the latest gravel tyre. They are properly tubeless too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

stoney wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:08 am
I love Maxxis Ramblers 40mm on my 21 inner width MTB rims.
What is their actual width on 21mm rims? SilkShield or EXO model?
'

Marin

by Marin

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 pm
I have had tubeless flat with a road tyre and lost all air then plugged well enough to get 30 psi to get me home. It's not a fantasy if the tyre remain seated.
Sure, if the tire remains seated it's not a problem. But I thought WinterRider was taking it off to patch it or something - then you're lost.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

His complaint was the tyre had flexible sidewalls. Never used that tyre do j am not sure what his issue is but I think it's tyre bead stretch so when it's flat it unseats. The kinlin rim with IRC tyres for example are well seated and the rim prevents unseating so you can ride the tyre flat and it still won't come off. But even these tyres stretch a big meaning if you remove it and refit, more tape might be needed. Hense I repair a tubeless tyre externally unless I really can't.

stoney

by stoney

ooo wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:49 pm
stoney wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:08 am
I love Maxxis Ramblers 40mm on my 21 inner width MTB rims.
What is their actual width on 21mm rims? SilkShield or EXO model?
They're the EXO 120 TPI model. I don't have calipers so I don't know the actual width on the rims, sorry.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:02 pm
His complaint was the tyre had flexible sidewalls. Never used that tyre do j am not sure what his issue is but I think it's tyre bead stretch so when it's flat it unseats. The kinlin rim with IRC tyres for example are well seated and the rim prevents unseating so you can ride the tyre flat and it still won't come off. But even these tyres stretch a big meaning if you remove it and refit, more tape might be needed. Hense I repair a tubeless tyre externally unless I really can't.
More tape w the Kinlin 22T + Gravel dog won't work. Sidewall stretch makes the tire useless for roadside reinflation on tubeless rims w UST standard dimensions. Hence I believe the 'Dog' is being marketed tubeless is in error.

I did get a good fit w the 'Dog' on NON tubeless rims.. Kinlin 200's. Tight w the tape.. reinflation is iffy.. CO2 the best route. I do not run this combination.. the Continental wire bead NON 32mm tubeless running tubeless outperforms the 32mm Dog by miles.

ooo

by ooo

@WinterRider, do you ride any "summer" gravel tires in winter?
'

WinterRider

by WinterRider

ooo wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:30 pm
@WinterRider, do you ride any "summer" gravel tires in winter?
Winter occurs on the calendar in southern locations. I winter Tx... yet actually the tread pattern would be decent if I remained north. I only ride dry clean rds winter north.

The Gravel Dog is a tubed tire.. plain and simple. Tube-ass it aint worth a d*m.