UCI compliant tires on wide rims <=33 mm

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

erik$

by erik$

In these days of wider rim is better the chance of getting a tire to fit inside the 33 mm envelope is not trivial. If anyone has examples of rim+tire combinations that fulfill the requirement I would be happy to know. Are there even any tires that top out at 33 mm on let's say 21-22-23 mm rims? Most of the new rims nowadays are in the low 20s so perfect if there is something that fits there. It is probably a given but I'll just add that tubeless compatibility for rims and tires is a requirement.

In case anyone is interested I will start with one datapoint: I do have a Vittoria Terreno Mix 31 mm tire on a 19.5 mm internal rim, which measures out at very close to 33 mm. They have been sitting at high pressure for some time so I will drop down to riding pressure and remeasure. From memory, the Maxxis mudwrestler is also a very narrow tire but I do not have one available for the time being.

I do also have a set of tubulars but flatting on those is not cheap, so I would like an extra tubeless setup or two.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Mud Wrestler (24PSI) on Iron Cross rim: 33mm
Baby Limus (24PSI) set tubeless on Iron Cross: 35mm
Iron Cross inner is 20mm
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

erik$

by erik$

Perfect, thanks!

Keep them coming :)

erik$

by erik$

I rechecked the Vittorias on the 19.5 mm rim, and they measure ~32.9 mm at 21 psi.
Will put them on an i24 today to see how big of a difference that will make.

For those still interested, some more numbers from this old thread https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&start=15:
the_marsbar wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:51 pm
OK, so I've measured some tires myself, and thought I'd share the measurements here. The have the following (claimed) inside widths: 18 mm (DT Swiss R24 disc), 21.3 mm (Notubes ZTR Valor).

Maxxis Mudwrestler 33C
DT Swiss R24 disc: 32 mm
Notubes ZTR Valor: 33.75 mm

iRC Serac CX 32C
Notubes ZTR Valor: 34 mm

Schwalbe X-One
Notubes ZTR Valor: 35 mm

All measurements done with callipers, and 25 PSI air pressure (measured with Topeak digital tyre pressure gauge).