Looking for a Cyclocross bike-need help

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hey guys, I know nothing about cyclocross bikes. A couple of my buddies joined a local cyclocross club that do a lot of climbing on roads while descending down fire roads on their cyclocross bikes. Based on the video I saw from the ride, Im jealous. So I checked out Giant's website and liked the bike listed below. I can get it for $2400 out the door. What do you think? Anything better at that price? Thanks!

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcx-a ... pro-2-2019
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Point

by Point

You cant go wrong with a TCX.

Depending on your skill level for off road riding, consider the alu version first.

I have the alu version and love it.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

Fellrunner

by Fellrunner

I'll second that, the TCX is a great bike, aluminium or carbon. You will need to upgrade the wheels though, they're as heavy as lead !

mattr

by mattr

How are your offroad skills?
A point and shoot CX race bike might be "a bit" skittish. Until you either get used to it. Or fall off.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

mattr wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:47 am
How are your offroad skills?
A point and shoot CX race bike might be "a bit" skittish. Until you either get used to it. Or fall off.
I MB, mostly single track, as much as road. Heck I even have a rigid 29er with flat bars that I ride single track on occasion.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Multebear

by Multebear

Hydro discs, Sram Rival 1 grouppo, thru axle front and rear. No, there's nothing wrong with that offer. Most brands have similar offers, but Giant is a very good bikemanufacturer. But as others mention, the wheels are heavy. But no reason to upgrade them right away. Just ride it as is and upgrade later, if you feel the need for it.

Fellrunner

by Fellrunner

I agree, enjoy the bike and the all the fun that comes with it, upgrade the wheels when you can afford. I have only just upgraded my wheels and its made a world of difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I have a TCX and love it. Also check out the Focus Mares, that was my first pick but didn't quite happen.
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.