Advice for new top end shoes for cx and gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Multebear

by Multebear

I've been snooping around for new shoes for quite some time now. I really like the Giro Empire VR90 design, but I'm fairly sure that I can't do laces. I've looked at the S-Works 6 Xc, which are at the top of the list. Does anyone have experience with them?

I would have bought the Shimano S-Phyre XC9 right away, if I didn't found the hidious.

Are there any other top end shoes, that I have missed?

Since I'm going to give these shoes a lot of riding time and km's, I'm not too concerned about pricetag.

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

The S Works are great. Used the at DK200 last year and all my training. Just like a road shoe in stiffness

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

Lake MX 241 Endurance ?
Curve Grovel ti.

boots2000

by boots2000

S Works are great- Most companies now have an mtb shoe that is parallel to their top road shoe.
I love my Bont gravel shoes- Exactly like the road shoe except for drilling and tread.

grover

by grover

Another saying S-Works are great.

In Australia they don't import a half size and their international webstores block shipping to Australia.

So I've transitioned to Northwave Extreme or Ghost which are equally good.

Point

by Point

I'm liking the Giro Empire vr90's. Great pair of shoes. Super stiff, good traction.
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've been using the Bontrager XXX shoes for two seasons, going on my 3rd, now. No complaints about them, at all. They're decently ventilated, incredibly stiff, and comfortable. I think they list for $400, but you can pick them up for less (I think I paid $250 for mine, back when they came out).

jcrr

by jcrr

grover wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:46 am
Another saying S-Works are great.

In Australia they don't import a half size and their international webstores block shipping to Australia.

Do you mind giving your opinion how the sizing compares SPECIFICALLY for those 2 ? I ride s-works and am really interested in Northwave's Rebels.

Thanks!

JC
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

LeDuke

by LeDuke

grover wrote:Another saying S-Works are great.

How do you like the Northwave shoes?

I have a wide but low volume forefoot and relatively narrow heel. Always have a hard time finding shoes that fit well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

LeDuke wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm
grover wrote:I have a wide but low volume forefoot and relatively narrow heel. Always have a hard time finding shoes that fit well.

This is exactly my dilemma. Old Mavic Fury's were awesome. Have some S-Works sitting in a closet because of too much forefoot volume and loose heel. Still looking.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

OnTheRivet wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm
grover wrote:I have a wide but low volume forefoot and relatively narrow heel. Always have a hard time finding shoes that fit well.

This is exactly my dilemma. Old Mavic Fury's were awesome. Have some S-Works sitting in a closet because of too much forefoot volume and loose heel. Still looking.
I’m riding a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Project Pro 3.0s now.

They are better than most I’ve had. But wondering about Northwave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grover

by grover

@jcrr. I am using the Northwave Extreme XC SLIM fit in 45.5 and the S-Works XC 6 in 46. I would use an S-Works 45.5 if I could get it. I think length is comparable for both shoes. That is, the S-works 46 is slightly longer than the Northwave 45.5. However that may just be the cut of the toes. Northwave is typically Italian with a pointed toe that has a little contact with the outside of my big toe. Specialized is straighter with the cut of the toes so no touching outside my big toe. I couldn't truly compare unless I wore the 45.5 S-works though. Being that the Northwave is their slim fit, and me having B width feet, I prefer the width of the Northwave. As you can expect the S-works is a standard D width and I have a little space on each side of my foot. I get no heal lift in either shoe. The retention system and heel cup hold me in. As you are looking at the Rebel which is not available in a slim fit I'd say that you are going to be looking at very similar fitting shoes to the S-works. The main difference being the cut of the toe box, a little more tapered on the Northwave.

@LeDuke and OnTheRivet. The Northwave is smaller volume in the toe box. It is cut more tapered. I'm using the slim fit of the Extreme XC which means it's 7mm smaller in circumference throughout. It's what I like most about the fit compared to the S-Works, I don't float around in the forefoot. I should point out Northwave's newext top end shoe, Ghost, no longer comes in a slim fit. Rather it comes with two foot bed options, one is higher volume for small volume feet. These may be available aftermarket. Last suggestion for those want to fill up their forefoot. Specialized sell forefoot shims for varus/valgus angulation. I've previously used one of each layered on top of each other as a forefoot space filler with neutral angulation.

jcrr

by jcrr

@grover- thanks so much for the thorough review and comparison, mate! That's interesting, and a bummer for you, that 0.5 sizes in spez are not available down under. I struggle with my feet not having sufficient volume in height. Based on your thoughts, I may give the Rebels a shot for cx racing in the same size as my s-works, seeing that I'm able to cinch the s-works down tight enough (more or less) with the 2 boas. I'm in the USA, if I can be of any help with your acquistion of spez shoes in the future, I'd gladly help a fellow weenie out....

jc
grover wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:50 am
@jcrr. I am using the Northwave Extreme XC SLIM fit in 45.5 and the S-Works XC 6 in 46. I would use an S-Works 45.5 if I could get it. I think length is comparable for both shoes. That is, the S-works 46 is slightly longer than the Northwave 45.5. However that may just be the cut of the toes. Northwave is typically Italian with a pointed toe that has a little contact with the outside of my big toe. Specialized is straighter with the cut of the toes so no touching outside my big toe. I couldn't truly compare unless I wore the 45.5 S-works though. Being that the Northwave is their slim fit, and me having B width feet, I prefer the width of the Northwave. As you can expect the S-works is a standard D width and I have a little space on each side of my foot. I get no heal lift in either shoe. The retention system and heel cup hold me in. As you are looking at the Rebel which is not available in a slim fit I'd say that you are going to be looking at very similar fitting shoes to the S-works. The main difference being the cut of the toe box, a little more tapered on the Northwave.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

markdjr

by markdjr

I've been happy with my Specialized 6xc, I also got some of the retul insoles which have been great as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Specialized S-Works 6 XC for me too, haven't tried a better shoe