What Pedals Are You Using For Gravel/CX?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

NickJHP

by NickJHP

jeanjacques wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:22 pm
Didn't see any mtb shoes on the Sidi website that looks light and not bulky, do you have a model ?
My Sidi Dominator MTB shoes and my Sidi road shoes are identical apart from the cleat drilling and walking lugs on the MTB shoe. On their web site, look at the Ergo 4 road shoe and Dragon 4 MTB shoe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

jeanjacques wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:22 pm
Didn't see any mtb shoes on the Sidi website that looks light and not bulky, do you have a model ?
Compare Sidi Shot and Sidi Tiger...

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Thank you for these models, not lighweight but still good (between 700 and 800 for Dragon and Tiger).

Finally, I'm wonder if there is a real problem to use road shoes for gravel (not CX). With a large cleat (SPD-SL or Time) you can still walk and mud/thin gravel doesn't make a bigger problem than with SPD and it's easy to protect the carbon sole with tape or thin rubber sheet. In definitive the only problem will be the cleat wear but if it's the price to pay to enjoy a lighweight shoes, why not ?

And to answer to the OP: Xpedo CXR Pro, SPD, 240g with some sides support.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

jeanjacques wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:54 pm
Finally, I'm wonder if there is a real problem to use road shoes for gravel (not CX). With a large cleat (SPD-SL or Time) you can still walk and mud/thin gravel doesn't make a bigger problem than with SPD and it's easy to protect the carbon sole with tape or thin rubber sheet.
Yeah, I've always thought that for most gravel (not CX though) you can do fine with normal road pedals. I've done a fair bit of walking in them, and sure, its awkward, but doable. I had the same thought about adding rubber that you mention. Thin would be enough for grip without excess weight, but I've considered even gluing on some thicker tread in spots at the heel and toe which would make walking far more natural as it would make the shoe sole more closely match the profile of the cleat, like if you just imagine a Sidi MTB shoe but with more tread removed to allow for 3 bolt cleat mounting.

Theologian

by Theologian

I've been using an Intey flat CNC, 235g for pair. I've been happy with them, but I'm a noobie, so I don't know what I'm missing.

Marin

by Marin

jeanjacques wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:54 pm
Thank you for these models, not lighweight but still good (between 700 and 800 for Dragon and Tiger).

Finally, I'm wonder if there is a real problem to use road shoes for gravel (not CX). With a large cleat (SPD-SL or Time) you can still walk and mud/thin gravel doesn't make a bigger problem than with SPD and it's easy to protect the carbon sole with tape or thin rubber sheet. In definitive the only problem will be the cleat wear but if it's the price to pay to enjoy a lighweight shoes, why not ?
If you get the least amount of dirt on your soles, you won't be able to clip in. And you can't really walk in road shoes. But if you never get off the bike, why not.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Time Atac / Mavic CrossMax SL
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

fogman

by fogman

Time ATAC XC8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

foreigngreg

by foreigngreg

Shimano PD-A600 with Sidi MTB shoes

Light, decent support (minor defference from my 'Look' road setup), and sheds mud fine.

One sided means you have to sometimes pay attention when clipping.

LouisN

by LouisN

All 3 of the people in this house were riding on Crank Brothers candy and eggbeaters. We're doing CX excusively.
Almost all of them were reduced to pieces in less than a year riding.
We will all switch to Time ATAC XC8 this fall.

Louis :)

MattMay

by MattMay

I use Crank Bros Candy, cheaper ones but replaced spindles with Ti. But I don’t ride in mud (So Cal) and not cx, just gravel and mtb. 233g with the Ti spindles.

markdjr

by markdjr

Atac XC12 here as well.

CBJ

by CBJ

Shimano XT and XTR.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I used to use Eggbeater 3's with Bontrager XXX mountain shoes, but switched over the SPD's (XTR M9000's) about 2 years ago. Mud clearing hasn't been much of an issue these last two seasons where I race (east Texas), but even when there's been some on the ground, the only thing I've had to deal with is a slight delay in being able to clip in. Yes, the eggbeaters were better in this respect, but the larger pedal platform more than makes up for the inconvenience.

I never had a problem with my eggbeaters needing to be rebuilt, but I did recently have a problem with my XTR pedals. The spindle on the drive-side pedal recently started clicking, and when I examined it, I discovered that the pedal/spindle interface was loose. I sent them to Shimano and received a replacement within a week, so I can't complain about that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com