Titanium Frames

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MAsshole

by MAsshole

So I'm looking to build up a bike that will be used primarily for gravel rides (DK200, R2R, etc. ) as well as bad weather and winter conditions.

I figured titanium is the best (albeit pricey) option for this kind of usage. Unfortunately, I'm lacking on brands to look at.

I know there are a bunch of custom options like Moots, Mosaic, and Firefly but frankly I don't need (nor can I afford) a custom frame as it stands. I'm generally pretty comfortable with my Scott Addict and BMC RM02's geometry which is why I am looking for more "stock" options.

That being said, I'd prefer a racier fit than an endurance fit as it will still get a bit of road time.

Where should I be looking? I know of No. 22, T-Labs, and Seven but that's it.

Anyone have any recommendations on who else I should be looking at?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Seven might be on the more expensive side- But you will get 100% custom.
They do offer straight guage options to keep cost down.
That said, they are really pushing the limits with what ti can do with a material, especially for disc and gravel type applications.
Lighter tubing options, chainstays that allow for really big tires while remaining short, curved seat tube, shaped seatstays, and many other things like this- All of these things cost $ but you can build a really cool bike.

http://www.sevencycles.com/options/xx.php

http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/sevend ... ambler.php

also this on on Instagram-

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjQX2DEByxp ... lby_pearce

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Litespeed range is generally cheaper than the custom options, but their "all-road" range has a more relaxed / endurance geometry than their road range. You can also consider Lynskey: bit cheaper, and also more relaxed on their stock geometry options for "gravel" frames.

If you are brave enough, you can go to one of the custom Ti chinese manufacturers - I had a good experience with Waltly. They can do any geometry you want, and give you tons of options. Just be aware that they will not give you the same level of "advice" that you would get from a good US or EU-based builder... they will just say what is possible and/or feasible, but in the end it is up to you to decide. Finish is not at the same level as a Moots, Firefly, No22, or Seven, but it will cost you just a fraction of any of those.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

A start here:
Van Nicholas
J Guillem
Lynskey
Enigma
Planet X
Kinesis UK

All of this brand have a gravel frame.
This shop have a lot of them: https://fatbirds-titanium.bike
Quality depends.

Marin

by Marin

MAsshole wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 pm

nice nickname

morganb

by morganb

Full custom from Carver is cheaper than a lot of off the peg Ti options. My frame isn't super light but I also didn't go for butted tubing and have a bunch of extra mounts on it, and the ride is fantastic. I drew my own geo in CAD and sent it to them then they sent me back drawings with more detail and we made a few changes before finalizing. The total process from first contact to frame was about 3 months.

sholiday

by sholiday

Lynskey. I just bought the PRO GR and love it. It's replacing my OPEN UP frameset. It's heavier but has a smoother ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parlee Z3 4.94kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101920
Wilier Cento Uno SL 5.52kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101957

wai2fast

by wai2fast

I conducted a similar search late last year for a ti gravel bike and ended up choosing a Why Cycles R+. Incredible bang for buck. Plus, they ship all their bikes in an EVOC travel bag, which you get to keep.

jemima

by jemima

Stock 'racier' fit:-
- Planet X gravel frameset for a cheap option
- Mason Bokeh ti
Curve Grovel ti.

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Anyone have any experience with Foundry or Wittson? Looks like a fully custom frame with Wittson can range from ~3,000-$3,900 which isn't bad when compared to No. 22, Moots, Mosaic, Firefly, etc.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

A fully custom Waltly will cost you <1k (fork, headset, BB excluded)

MAsshole

by MAsshole

AndreLM wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:58 pm
A fully custom Waltly will cost you <1k (fork, headset, BB excluded)
I'm trying to stay away from Chinese-produced bikes. I know the cost is VERY attractive but I'm nervous about QC.

Anyone heard of Naked Bikes?

dim

by dim

I was keen for titanium, but I've read too many posts on different forums where welds fail .... stick with carbon

and as for the saying 'steel is real' .... I've been there and done that (several times) .... it's bollocks
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

MAsshole

by MAsshole

dim wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 pm
I was keen for titanium, but I've read too many posts on different forums where welds fail .... stick with carbon

and as for the saying 'steel is real' .... I've been there and done that (several times) .... it's bollocks
The failure is why I'm trying to stay with more well-known brands but there are always some that just don't have the same online presence as others.

I thought carbon but rock strikes, crashes, etc. make me shy away from a carbon bike for gravel events.

If I was go to carbon I'd just go for the Scott Addict CX/Gravel bike. Stack is higher but reach is almost the same as my Addict Team issue.

Steel is a big no-no living in New England. Salt would destroy it way too quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MAsshole wrote: Anyone heard of Naked Bikes?
They’re on Quadra Island off of Horseshoe Bay north of Vancouver, right? Years and years ago took a little ride over there and remember passing a sign on the side of the road saying “Naked Bikes”. Out in the middle of nowhere really. Ha!... figured it was some kind of hippy nudist colony that had some vague connection to bicycles somehow. Never ventured down the long dark gravel road to check it out as it was getting dark and my gf and I were in a hurry to catch the last ferry back to the mainland. Don’t know anything about their bicycles but I think I have seen some online presence.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ