Titanium Frames

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:59 pm
MAsshole wrote: Anyone heard of Naked Bikes?
They’re on Quadra Island off of Horseshoe Bay north of Vancouver, right? Years and years ago took a little ride over there and remember passing a sign on the side of the road saying “Naked Bikes”. Out in the middle of nowhere really. Ha!... figured it was some kind of hippy nudist colony that had some vague connection to bicycles somehow. Never ventured down the long dark gravel road to check it out as it was getting dark and my gf and I were in a hurry to catch the last ferry back to the mainland. Don’t know anything about their bicycles but I think I have seen some online presence.
That's what it looks like!

I saw it mentioned on another forum and was somewhat hesitant to google it at work :mrgreen:

Price is right, but I don't know much regarding weld quality

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calv1n

by calv1n

I was considering Seven custom ti for a while but found a new Reilly frame (ex-partner of Enigma I believe) for 1/4 the price.
Rides a treat, pretty happy. I may go custom one day, but doubt I’ll notice that much of a difference. Weighs 7.8 with ultegra gruppo, which ain’t bad. Perfect for a durable ride to work, winter bike (minus discs).

zmjones

by zmjones

MAsshole wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:48 pm
dim wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:30 pm
I was keen for titanium, but I've read too many posts on different forums where welds fail .... stick with carbon

and as for the saying 'steel is real' .... I've been there and done that (several times) .... it's bollocks
The failure is why I'm trying to stay with more well-known brands but there are always some that just don't have the same online presence as others.

I thought carbon but rock strikes, crashes, etc. make me shy away from a carbon bike for gravel events.

If I was go to carbon I'd just go for the Scott Addict CX/Gravel bike. Stack is higher but reach is almost the same as my Addict Team issue.

Steel is a big no-no living in New England. Salt would destroy it way too quickly.
steel is fine if you take care of it. frame saver the inside and put clear coat on any chips. i've ridden steel bikes through a few central pennsylvania winters w/o any problems.

robertbb

by robertbb

Why is "real steel" bollocks?

Theologian

by Theologian

How about chromoly? Does chromoly frame rust? I'm getting conflicting info about this. I also live in PA, near Philly. Wife is getting a folding bike with a chromoly frame.

Marin

by Marin

Theologian wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 pm
How about chromoly? Does chromoly frame rust?
Yes it will.

Only stainless steel doesn't rust in normal conditions.

Theologian

by Theologian

Marin wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:27 am
Yes it will.
Only stainless steel doesn't rust in normal conditions.
So, what's the best way to prevent chromoly from rusting? I've read about frame saver somewhere, but it seems to be used for the inside of the tube. Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

Marin

by Marin

A modern steel frame in normal conditions won't rust to an extent that's in any way causing problems. I have a Dahon steel folding bike that used through several Austrian winters where there's lots of salt on the road and it's still going strong.

If you have a 2000$ custom lightweight steel frame you can use frame saver or boiled linseed oil, but for a folder with a 75$ frame you just ride it.

Theologian

by Theologian

Marin wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:40 pm
A modern steel frame in normal conditions won't rust to an extent that's in any way causing problems. I have a Dahon steel folding bike that used through several Austrian winters where there's lots of salt on the road and it's still going strong.

If you have a 2000$ custom lightweight steel frame you can use frame saver or boiled linseed oil, but for a folder with a 75$ frame you just ride it.
That's good to know. Thank you, Marin. :beerchug:

RussellS

by RussellS

Small addition to this thread. A friend's son just got a Lynskey titanium gravel/CX bike with carbon fork and disc brakes. He seems happy as a little kid with it. He's only about 24 so the kid part may apply but not the little part. He was riding on the gravel shoulders while the old men were riding on the pavement last Saturday. Bike looks good. I would not be unhappy to own it. Don't know how racy or light it is. Sort of low cost.

Sort of unrelated to the topic. But if going stock, aluminum is a fine frame material. For all bikes, not just gravel/CX. Light enough, stiff enough, cheap enough, fairly impervious to the elements. Some will say it will dent like a soda can especially with gravel. Not my experience using three different aluminum bikes. The tubes are thick enough to resist anything less than a catastrophic crash. But I know it does not have the mystique of titanium.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

FYI - Did you guys see the Bikerumor article about the new Kestrel Carbon cross / gravel bike? Seems bikesdirect has these instock now. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm
but also saw some complete Titanium Force 1X bikes with DT Swiss wheels for $2300 ! They also have the Titanium frame, fork, dt swiss wheels for $1700

markdjr

by markdjr

I have been very happy with my Lynskey ProCross. Picked up the frame off of ebay on the cheap, they are regularly available through Lynskeys ebay store. I've done a bit of singletrack with it during some longer gravel rides and it has held up very well, no worries on welds as far as I'm concerned.

froze

by froze

For those odd reports of TI breaking well guess what? CF breaks more often! Even my mechanic at my LBS won't buy a CF bike! Most of the TI bikes that break are generic jobs, but CF has been all over the map from generic to name brand.

Moving on before the war starts. I have a Lynskey road bike and love it, no problems with it for 5 years and around 8,000 miles.

Having said that, Bikes Direct sells TI bikes called Motobecane, they are made by Ora last time I checked, and ORA has a solid reputation of building TI frames, I know a guy who has a road version for about 10 years and not one problem with it. But if you do get one from Bikes Direct you have to make sure everything is lubed (including BB's), no stiff chain links etc, etc, etc, because they don't do a real good job at pre inspection, so that's going to be up to you or your LBS, anyway see this and scroll down to you get to the TI bike selection: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/cross_bikes.htm Oh, and Moto bikes do not have a good resale value if that's important to you.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

My two main rides use CF ('15 Cannondale) and Ti ('94 Merlin w/threaded bb).
The Merlin Extralight gives away nearly 750gr on the frame, alone.
All the other components widen the overall weight penalty to almost 2kg.
However, it gives a supreme ride that will last forever. It takes massive amounts of abuse.
My recommendation would be to find a used Merlin or Litespeed.
That Reilly posted earlier looks stellar. Suspiciously similar to my Merlin, in fact. :)
Oldbie

Finx

by Finx

I'm currently pondering a Moots Routt RSL vs a Sage Cycles Gravel.

On paper, the two bikes are nearly identical. I know Sage has a good reputation in 'Cross racing, but I'm not looking for a super stuff race bike.

The Sage is considerably cheaper, but the Moots would likely have a better resale value of I ever sold it.

I would assume both would have similar customization options, pre and post sales support, etc... Moots will definitely have excellent build quality. Not sure about this on the Sage (?).

Anyone have any experience with Sage?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com