Largest tires on Trek Boone?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

req110

by req110

cunn1n9 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:06 am
I have a Boone and the biggest tyre I have run is a 37mm WTB Riddler. Fits but is close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If i understnading correctly, they are very close on the rear right? Front is fine?
37mm on how wide inner/outer rim please?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

TCRguy99

by TCRguy99

My dad rides a Boone and I have gotten everything from 25mm gp5000's in there to 32mm CX tubs to 35mm bontrager gravel tires. Its a CX bike so it wont fit a 40c or anything.
16' Madone RSL - Ultegra di2 - 7.5kg
84' Guerciotti GLX neo-retro - Centaur 10s - 9.07kg
18' Trek Speed Concept UCI build - Sram Red 1x10 - unknown weight ATM
12' Ciocc Volpe CX bike - Shimano GRX - 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The tight spot is the drive-side chainstay. My wife's Boone (2017, cantilever) has a 35c Panaracer GravelKing SK on a Bontrager Paradigm Elite rim (19.5mm internal) and it fits fine (opens up to 38mm), but I think anything beyond that would be pushing it.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

req110 wrote:
cunn1n9 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:06 am
I have a Boone and the biggest tyre I have run is a 37mm WTB Riddler. Fits but is close

If i understnading correctly, they are very close on the rear right? Front is fine?
37mm on how wide inner/outer rim please?
Yes front is fine but rear is close. The riddler is on the stock Bontrager alloy rims. Not sure of internal width so need to check.

TheRich

by TheRich

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:33 pm
The tight spot is the drive-side chainstay. My wife's Boone (2017, cantilever) has a 35c Panaracer GravelKing SK on a Bontrager Paradigm Elite rim (19.5mm internal) and it fits fine (opens up to 38mm), but I think anything beyond that would be pushing it.
That's correct. (for actual width when mounted)

I did one race with a 38 (40mm measured) that would rub and another later with 35 and there was no perceptable difference in comfort.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Omiar wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:37 am
req110 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:29 am

Considering some combo like 38c bit knobby front and 35c bit slick rear. Any ideas? Purpose is to smash the city, sometimes some park, sidewalk, pave, forest path, etc.
Wouldn't that mean your front will hold but your rear will slide out? I would say that means a worse crash than front sliding out.
I would say you have a better feel of grip available when the front will start to loose grip first.
Dude, with all due respect you are flat out crazy.

Any time you run offset grip tyres you run more on the front and less on the back. Rear wheel skids are fun, front wheel skids are crashes. Beyond that, at some point the rear will lose traction under heavy braking anyway so changing to a slicker tyre on the rear has less of an effect on braking and handling and more of an effect on rolling resistance than changing the front.

This is true across the board in offoad riding and has been very common in mountain biking since forever. You even get dedicated hardcore semi-slick rear tyres like the Maxxis Minion SS for trail/downhill, and lots of more aggressive XC tyres that manufacturers expressly recommend using on the front, paired with their lower profile, faster rolling tyre as the rear.

Omiar

by Omiar

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 am
Dude, with all due respect you are flat out crazy.

Any time you run offset grip tyres you run more on the front and less on the back. Rear wheel skids are fun, front wheel skids are crashes. Beyond that, at some point the rear will lose traction under heavy braking anyway so changing to a slicker tyre on the rear has less of an effect on braking and handling and more of an effect on rolling resistance than changing the front.

This is true across the board in offoad riding and has been very common in mountain biking since forever. You even get dedicated hardcore semi-slick rear tyres like the Maxxis Minion SS for trail/downhill, and lots of more aggressive XC tyres that manufacturers expressly recommend using on the front, paired with their lower profile, faster rolling tyre as the rear.
The Maxxis setup and similar are indeed so and you're correct on that. But Im not saying run uneven setup with "more" tire on the back.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Omiar wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:48 am
The Maxxis setup and similar are indeed so and you're correct on that. But Im not saying run uneven setup with "more" tire on the back.
But you did say you think it's better and safer to have a setup where the front tyre will slide before the rear does and again, in all honesty, that is flat out crazy.