how do you keep your carbon cx frame/fork from chipping?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i don't worry too much about my road bikes. there's not a whole lot of debris that gets kicked up. but riding the dirt and mud a lot more damage can happen. after only 1 year with my ritchey swiss cross, its looking pretty battle-scarred.

do you just let the "chips fall where they may" with your carbon bike? or what? i'm mostly thinking the stays, back of seat tube, under the bb shell, under the down tube and the fork blades.

AJS914

by AJS914

Put helicopter tape on it if you want to protect it.

I have a Crux and haven't really noticed any chips from gravel riding but it is a matte carbon finish without much paint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gummee

by gummee

I haven't seen any real chipping from riding. ...but I've lent out the bike I'm riding now and there have been pedals rubbing against my chainstay causing damage.

Grr

M

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Yeah, helicopter tape, bike saver, ski saver, clear self adhesive vinyl as used in car detailing (which is available in many thicknesses), etc... It's all remarkably tough stuff, and is hardly noticable when initially applied. Over time, I find that dirt will stick to the little edge of exposed adhesive around the perimeter, but it is still 100% functional. If you are concerned about aesthics, you could perhaps try putting a coat of wax or polish over the tape, once it's fully adhered, which could help "de-stickify" the edges.

Mrseasons

by Mrseasons

Invisiframe! this stuff is amazing http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/