Tubeless help

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MikeD
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:55 pm

by MikeD

JScycle wrote:Hey all,
Below is a link to a photo of the rim profile
I actually happen to be getting a set of tubeless tyres because of a warranty problem.
Does this rim look like it can be tubeless compatible?
Thanks Image

https://imgur.com/a/CSzvu6C
No. Looks bad. The part of the rim bed where the tire beads seat slope downwards. As a minimum, I would use a Stans rim strip if you want to try this. IMO, use a tubeless rim and don't convert a rim not designed for tubeless.

JScycle
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm

by JScycle

MikeD wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm
JScycle wrote:Hey all,
Below is a link to a photo of the rim profile
I actually happen to be getting a set of tubeless tyres because of a warranty problem.
Does this rim look like it can be tubeless compatible?
Thanks Image

https://imgur.com/a/CSzvu6C
No. Looks bad. The part of the rim bed where the tire beads seat slope downwards. As a minimum, I would use a Stans rim strip if you want to try this. IMO, use a tubeless rim and don't convert a rim not designed for tubeless.
Oh that really sucks! I can try a stans rim strip (with the attached rubber valve). Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy tubeless rims

by Weenie


User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

MikeD wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm
JScycle wrote:Hey all,
Below is a link to a photo of the rim profile
I actually happen to be getting a set of tubeless tyres because of a warranty problem.
Does this rim look like it can be tubeless compatible?
Thanks Image

https://imgur.com/a/CSzvu6C
No. Looks bad. The part of the rim bed where the tire beads seat slope downwards. As a minimum, I would use a Stans rim strip if you want to try this. IMO, use a tubeless rim and don't convert a rim not designed for tubeless.
Dunno, I don't think it looks too bad actually. There is sort of a bead shelf, and the centre of the rim is quite deep. I would give this rim a try for tubeless.

User avatar
WinterRider
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

by WinterRider

Burping via tubeless tires in my experience to date.. is a function of tire to rim fit.. need tight.. as in very. Inflation produces a reluctant snapping sound when the bead slides into place. Check the fit prior to inflation... a good fit can be inflated w a floor pump.. most of the time.

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 4108
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

I cant tell if there is the hump next to the rim or not. I dod not consider any rim without it tubeless compatible. for CX use to avid burping it is essential.

User avatar
WinterRider
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:27 pm
i would not put a tubeless tyre on that rim. it may seal but at low pressure id expect it to burp.
Be interesting/informative as to why one expects that rim to not perform.

UST rims .. observed some online w very marginal 'retaining well' measurements. Give that scenario a looser fitting tire... less tape to tire bead fit... burping can occur.

Fit is the bottom line... only determined by a good install.

JScycle
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:41 pm

by JScycle

Will I be able to see if it's a good fit with a tyre and bare rim or do I need to get the Stans rim strip valve combo thing and install before test fitting?

User avatar
Miller
Posts: 1388
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Reading, UK

by Miller

JScycle wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:27 am
Will I be able to see if it's a good fit with a tyre and bare rim or do I need to get the Stans rim strip valve combo thing and install before test fitting?
Looks like it's taped up already? Get a tubeless valve and some sealant and experiment to see if you can successfully inflate it.

User avatar
WinterRider
Posts: 440
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

by WinterRider

Miller wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am
JScycle wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:27 am
Will I be able to see if it's a good fit with a tyre and bare rim or do I need to get the Stans rim strip valve combo thing and install before test fitting?
Looks like it's taped up already? Get a tubeless valve and some sealant and experiment to see if you can successfully inflate it.
Suggest.. that is NOT tubeless tape on that rim in the pic. :roll:

Given... lack of experience by the user... NEED to find someone local w experience in tubeless. Be safe :thumbup:

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post