Tubeless help

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

JScycle

by JScycle

Hey WW,
I have a Kona Jake the Snake CR 2016.
Did my first CX race today and got a pinch flat so I want to move to tubeless.
If I buy tyres such as the Vittoria Terreno Mix can I set them up tubeless on my wheels.
I think they are some generic Alexrims ones.

Simply put, can I just put tubeless rim tape on and then use tubeless cyclocross tyres?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Are your rims tubeless? If so, then yes.

JScycle

by JScycle

Marin wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 am
No I don't think they are. Can they be converted?

motorapido

by motorapido

Try a Stans CX rimstrip, not to be confused with Stans rim tape, it is a rubber strip (band) that fits in your rim with a valve stem attached, your tyre then seals against this to create an airtight seal with some sealant solution. allowing you to run non tubeless rims tubeless. Not sure what the max pressure rating is as they are normally MTB and CX only so lowish pressures.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Marin wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 am
Please.. define *tube-ass rim?

What makes said different? Bead configuration/height? No.. think not... get out the calipers and do some measuring.. no joy. Have read the consternation per those that supposedly set specs and or standards for such not being able to disagree agree on how to slice that one. Simple fact remains.. if the tire bead mates into the bead recess w some hook for an upward limit.. one has joy. That simple.. otherwise the rest is just more male cow dung.

So.. then the relief groove centered to allow easier mounting? Could be the angle.. but try roadside RE-inflation w them and some flavor's of tires.. not gonna happen. This design per mounting is actually a deficit then... not always but can does present another variable in the game... that is gonna be short lived for the many.

*tube-ass is my moniker for road tires sans tubes.. been the 10 rds w it. My primary mistake following 'instructions' from 'xperts.. LOL. Valve mounting.. how to tape.. only accomplishes the loading of another U-boob segment.. not much more.

My next move in tube-ass is sans "sealant".. which mostly is worthless. DOES initially seal the minor bleeding on tire beads.. good for that. Yet I was born under the star or genetic deficiency that does not allow me to divide when this orange pumpkin sealant she*t is gonna go dry... which means your screwed roadside. DOES vary per drying out... this whole generation of current sealant is junk... pure and simple. Going to burn off the many going road tube-ass... carrying a tube makes sooo much more sense... unless one wants grief in sizeable doses. :smartass:

Bottom line.. rationale for the *... get this sealant she*t right. Enough of this junk pumpkin colored sealant she*t............. et al.

Did buy a bottle of the 'promise to never go dry' stuff recently. I have fashioned repair kit to fill the punctures w slivers of inner tube.. drop of gel glue... de-tales to come.

AND... did try the 'speriment whereas I ran this orange pumpkin sealant she*t in the tube. Puncture.. no joy.. the stuff ran between the tube and tire. Mmmm.. e'd the maker and another time sans attitude.. informational inquiry.. NO joy... nodda drop of educate.

Hence the label... "orange pumpkin sealant she*t".
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

stuh

by stuh

TL;DR

You can try to convert them to tubless, but it becomes a very real posibility that you'll burp and get a flat anyway. =[

Get some Tubeless sanctified rims and tires and setup will be easy, performance reliable

Kurets

by Kurets

Yes, tubeless for CX (especially on non TL rims) is not smart. As you are much more likely to burp on a non tubeless compatible setup, you'll have to run higher pressures, negating any benefit wrt decreased risk of pinch flats.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

JScycle wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:07 am
Hey WW,
I have a Kona Jake the Snake CR 2016.
Did my first CX race today and got a pinch flat so I want to move to tubeless.
If I buy tyres such as the Vittoria Terreno Mix can I set them up tubeless on my wheels.
I think they are some generic Alexrims ones.

Simply put, can I just put tubeless rim tape on and then use tubeless cyclocross tyres?

Assuming the tyres are tubeless or tubeless ready.... maybe.

Having used the Stan's CX rim strips in the past to setup non-tubeless rims with road tubeless tyres, it can be done, but it's not going to be a sure thing, and it's not going to be as easy to setup as true tubeless ready rims. As others have mentioned you're probably not going to be able to do it with just tape, but using the Stans CX strip, you probably will be able to run tubeless without burping air (again, compatibilty is not a sure thing). Also, from my experience it was EXTREMELY DIFICULT to get the bead of tubeless tires onto the rim with the extra thickness. I have broken multiple tire levers trying to do so and have found that you really need something like the super large Pedro's ones to get the job done.

My recomendation would be to buy some tubeless ready wheels.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

stuh wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:33 pm
TL;DR

You can try to convert them to tubless, but it becomes a very real posibility that you'll burp and get a flat anyway. =[

Get some Tubeless sanctified rims and tires and setup will be easy, performance reliable
One does not burp on tube-ass rims?

Think.. that happens too.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

JScycle

by JScycle

Thankyou everyone for your replies.
Money is a bit tight at the moment and I have not been able to find any cheap tubeless wheels.
I could consider buying a rim and using my current wheelset but I would probably need more spokes at different lengths etc which would also cost.

The Stans CX rimstrip looks good. I emailed stans no tubes for their thoughts and I got a reply saying 'yes that should work really well for you'.

I have mounted tyres on a mountain bike with some tubeless rim tape on what I think are normal wheels. I found once I filled with sealant and took the valve core out I could pump them with a compressor. That was reasonably easy

I just want to be able to do a few CX races without puncturing but also having grip.

I may try and send a photo of my rim bed today and get everyone's thoughts

stuh

by stuh

WinterRider wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:44 pm
stuh wrote:
TL;DR

I'm not trying to say it never happens, but IME, it is far less likely.

MikeD

by MikeD

WinterRider wrote:
stuh wrote:
TL;DR

Rim humps prevent burping. Unfortunately, there are so called tubeless rims that don't have them.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

just put more pressure in for your next race. an extra few psi isnt the difference between winning and losing but burping a non tubeless tyre/rim is
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

JScycle

by JScycle

Hey all,
Below is a link to a photo of the rim profile
I actually happen to be getting a set of tubeless tyres because of a warranty problem.
Does this rim look like it can be tubeless compatible?

https://imgur.com/a/CSzvu6C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com