Ultimate CX drop bars?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

klook

by klook

Totally subjective of course, but I've been on the hunt for my ideal CX bar.
I run 40cm compact Enve's on Road and 42's an older CX bike. Have tried Easton EC70 SL, Zipp SL80, 3T ergonova in 3 sizes, and now testing some Zipp SL70's. Also run Salsa Cowbell 2's an all rounder cx bike.

It's a long shot, but on paper I'm looking for something the comes close to the following:

42cm wide at the hoods
4 - 8degree flare at ends
70 - 75 reach
120 - 128mm drop
7 - 10degree ramp (from centre bar to where hoods would be mounted)
Carbon, around 200grams.
No ergo sweep back at tops or in the bends just a smooth transition to the end of the drops
Flatish transtion to hoods (ramp) to loosley line u with the flattend end of the drops.
*not critical - Flat or oval like tops for comfortable gripp (aero not a priority). Smaller round bar also ok.

-I found the Eastons had to be rolled upwards to get a nicer flat ramp but the angle in the drops was sloping down too much. Also, when in the drops I hit my fore arms on corners of the tops.
-The Zipp SL70's feel quite good, but the angled drops aren't comfortable. Alloy and a bit heavy.
-The Enves mostly feel great but looking for something with shorter reach. They also seem to taper downwards slightly from the centre along the tops which I find tips you into corners more so than a bar with a flat top (e.g flat along tops running left to right)
-3t ergonova's never felt right.

The closest to what I imagined would be the 'ultimate' bar is this:
Profile Designs DVR/a "1/ZeroFive". http://www.profile-design.com/product/drop-bars/drv/

But... only in alloy and quite heavy at 285 grams! Still will probably grab some to test

Have I missed a lightweight brand worth checking?!

Thanks

jemima

by jemima

klook wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 am
re the above point, do you mean angled up (on the tops) from the centre, like this?
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/compo ... andlebars/
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would also be amazed if i could find the optimal handlebar.
I don't get the perfect angle for both hoods and drop.
Perhaps it's due to the shifters ergo. I would like Shimanos 785 body to be of closer reach, but the brake levers and pads should be same as it is (full out).

Talking bars, i am curious of 3T SuperGhiaia. But i am not sure about the drop handles for the 44cm version.
It looks like these will be prone to take a bad strike if the bike drop or if rider crash.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Miller

by Miller

There's the 3T Ergoterra, not too far from that spec.

Fiery

by Fiery

FSA Compact, whichever version fits your budget. Reach is 80 mm on paper, but is one of the shortest on the market in reality, shorter than some nominal 70-75 mm. The best part - you can try the cheapest aluminium version first, and be confident the carbon one will fit the same.

klook

by klook

jemima wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:58 pm
klook wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 am
re the above point, do you mean angled up (on the tops) from the centre, like this?
https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/compo ... andlebars/
Not quite. Ramp is the angle down or forward from the tops to where your levers are mounted.
In the link to the Profile bars you can see the 7degree ramp referenced.

klook

by klook

Miller wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:24 pm
There's the 3T Ergoterra, not too far from that spec.
Thanks for the suggestion but if you look at the side profile of the Ergoterra, to get a flatter ramp (from tops forward to hoods) you'd have to roll the bars upward, but then then with the angle in the drops you kind of feel like your sliding downwards

Zipp actually has the best reference. Notice how the bottom of the drops is not far off the same angle as the 7 to 10 degree ramp . Image

klook

by klook

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:21 pm
I would also be amazed if i could find the optimal handlebar.
I don't get the perfect angle for both hoods and drop.
Perhaps it's due to the shifters ergo. I would like Shimanos 785 body to be of closer reach, but the brake levers and pads should be same as it is (full out).

Talking bars, i am curious of 3T SuperGhiaia. But i am not sure about the drop handles for the 44cm version.
It looks like these will be prone to take a bad strike if the bike drop or if rider crash.
Yeah I get different brands, models of shifters will effect the feel but at least more options for bars a flatter ramp. I feel they're slowly coming in off the back of the whole 'gravel' trend. Even Salsa are now doing carbon versions of the Cowbell (68 reach, 115 drop, flatter ramp). Although I really like the alloy one's on my Ritchey Breakaway, they're too flared at
12degrees for a more dedicated cx bike, IMHO.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I immediately thought of the Thomson carbon cyclocross bars, which are super, but they appear to have too many outliers for your parameters sought.

morganb

by morganb

The one you are currently testing (SL70) is my favorite. They have a carbon version available now if you end up getting along with the shape but want something lighter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

klook

by klook

The Thomson's look nice, but way off for the fit I'm looking for.
I like a lot about the Zipp SL70, but I can't get use to the ergo style drops, I find I move around depending on terrain and frequently end up in the mid way between bends, it's uncomfortable to me.

I've taken a chance and orderd the 2018 3T SuperErgo Team. (the alloy 'Pro' are a different shape)

I emailed 3T: "the Superergo Team is measured 42 at hoods, and the flare is 6°.
The angle from top to drop, is almost horizontal, around 5-7° and you can adjust sligtly tilting the handlebar."

Fingers crossed the subtle changes agree with me more than the old 3T ergonova's