Ultegra RX road clutch RD for 2x11 and 2x10

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Very nice. It looks very similar to the XT M8050 rear derailleur.

emotive

by emotive

I have just removed my Dura-Ace 9100 RD and installed the RX-800 to eliminate chain slap.

The shifting is not quite as crisp as the DA, but as good as the Ultegra 6800 SS on my road bike. I can live with that, plus, I have an 11-34 going onto the off-road wheels for lower gearing. Fun times!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I recently set up an RX805 DI2 rear derailleur with a 34/50 crankset and an 11-40 cassette.
It shifted great with clutch off- But with clutch on, it lagged adn did not want to climb the cogset.
I discovered that it worked better with the cluth tension dialed down- near bottom of recommended range. 3nm.

boots2000

by boots2000

Another thing that I noticed is that the clutch derailleur is more sensitive to battery life.
I was adjusting with a low battery and it stopped working while the clutch was engaged- Charged it back up and all is well.
Seemed like it used up the battery more quikcly but I may have not truly had a full charge (new bike)- I have charged it fully now and I will watch it.

boots2000 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:19 pm
I recently set up an RX805 DI2 rear derailleur with a 34/50 crankset and an 11-40 cassette.
It shifted great with clutch off- But with clutch on, it lagged adn did not want to climb the cogset.
I discovered that it worked better with the cluth tension dialed down- near bottom of recommended range. 3nm.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

boots2000 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Another thing that I noticed is that the clutch derailleur is more sensitive to battery life.
I was adjusting with a low battery and it stopped working while the clutch was engaged- Charged it back up and all is well.
Seemed like it used up the battery more quikcly but I may have not truly had a full charge (new bike)- I have charged it fully now and I will watch it.

boots2000 wrote:
that switch is fully mechanical... so I have my doubts in that thoery
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

j0dan

by j0dan

I finished my setup with a 50/34 crank and a RX805 with 11-40t cassette. In the end I did need the RoadLink DM to get good shifting performance. If you *don't* have a RoadLink you will need a longer b-screw.

EDIT: I had an every so slightly bent hanger causing issues that the RoadLink mitigated. With a new hanger even the original hanger works great.
Last edited by j0dan on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boots2000

by boots2000

I know But the motor has to work harder to overocme the clutch.
spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:28 am
boots2000 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

boots2000 wrote:
that switch is fully mechanical... so I have my doubts in that thoery

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

j0dan wrote:I finished my setup with a 50/34 crank and a RX805 with 11-40t cassette. In the end I did need the RoadLink DM to get good shifting performance. If you *don't* have a RoadLink you will need a longer b-screw.
Do you have the GS or the regular version? With the GS you shouldn’t need the RoadLink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romanmoser

by romanmoser

the RX is only in the longer version ...

j0dan

by j0dan

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:54 am
j0dan wrote:I finished my setup with a 50/34 crank and a RX805 with 11-40t cassette. In the end I did need the RoadLink DM to get good shifting performance. If you *don't* have a RoadLink you will need a longer b-screw.
Do you have the GS or the regular version? With the GS you shouldn’t need the RoadLink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right. I had a bent derailleur hanger causing my problems and they appeared to go away with the RoadLink.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I am curious on the derailleur housing. I've seen in the past the new non-clutched shadow road derailleurs sometimes require a stiffer cable housing to work properly. I am looking into getting this RD for my CX bike (2019 trek crockett) , but it runs full length housing. Will regular housing work fine with the clutched RD?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You should be fine. The separate piece of housing that is included with the newer rear derailleurs is very flexible (not stiffer as you mention above) and the steel is wound like a brake housing cable versus a standard derailleur cable housing. This makes it easier to route a short tight radius bend from the end of the chainstay exit port to the attachment point on the rear derailleur. But with your Crocket, the housing runs along and outside of the chainstay so you should be able to get a nice easy loop all the way to the derailleur. In other words, you’ll be fine. With a larger loop, you don’t want the derailleur housing to be too flexible back there or it would be flopping all around which is not what you want next to the rotating sprockets, chain and spokes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

Hi I'm new here. So I don't know wether I should start a new thread or not. Sorry if this is OT
So I have a 2018 Caadx Tiagra and after reading this thread I started wondering about buying a RX800 derailleur to use with the 4700 shifters and a 10sp cassette. Can anyone actually confirm that this will work?

I have searched around different forums quite a bit and am starting to get confused.

Also I have a FD-CX70 front mech and I am wondering if that will mate with the 4700 brifters?

ooo

by ooo

ST-4700-R should be compatible with RD-RX800
ST-4700-L should not be compatible with FD-CX70
ST-4703-L should be compatible with FD-CX70-F-D and FD-CX70-B-D
ST-4703-L should not compatible with FD-CX70-F-T and FD-CX70-B-T
'

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

Thanks ooo. I will get the RD then as I will want to touring on gravel and a bit of single track next summer.

Btw found another thread about the CX-70. Apparently it comes on the Cannondale Slate paired with 11sp brifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com