Ultegra RX road clutch RD for 2x11 and 2x10

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Add some more tension?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

emotive

by emotive

Beancouter wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:07 am
Quick question, anyone know of any issues (or Shimano guidance) on using the RX805 with an oval ring? I have it set up on my Hakka with a wolftooth elliptical (42x) and the clutch doesn’t seem to be holding (certainly not as well as I would expect).
I ran the RX800 with Absolute black oval rings for a few thousand kilometres with no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Can you post a photo of your setup? Maybe the chain is too long, but I agree with Nefarious86 - not enough tension (or the clutch is disengaged).

Beancouter

by Beancouter

On hols at the moment - will do when I get home. Should have said, running a wolftooth roadlink DM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Beancouter wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:07 am
Quick question, anyone know of any issues (or Shimano guidance) on using the RX805 with an oval ring? I have it set up on my Hakka with a wolftooth elliptical (42x) and the clutch doesn’t seem to be holding (certainly not as well as I would expect).

Not sure if it is the derailleur itself or my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also used absolute black rings... my RX805 would not shift (with the clutch on) down to the high gear.. like 11-12-14... with clutch off I never had an issue. I went 1x and XTR Di recently.. no problem.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

brinjo

by brinjo

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 pm
I also used absolute black rings... my RX805 would not shift (with the clutch on) down to the high gear.. like 11-12-14... with clutch off I never had an issue. I went 1x and XTR Di recently.. no problem.
What do people reckon about the clutch/motor combo in the RX805? I've got a brand new one, and same issue, the motor struggles to change to larger cogs with the clutch on. Does the tension need to be backed off heaps for it to shift properly? I need to experiment with backing off the clutch tension, but hopefully it doesn't need to be so low that tension is similar to that with the clutch off!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yeah I never could get an explaination for it.. my tension was set to medium... you can try low and see if it helps. It was a downer so I just used it as and excuse to jump to XTR :)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I had to set the tension on my XT RD low, in order to get the shifting correct. I was constantly trying to trim the derailleur with the clutch on, but once I turned the tension down, the problems went away. Also, even at low tension, it is nothing like having the clutch off.

Hex

by Hex

Is there an issue with the RX800 (mechanical) RD as well?

Would the tension need to be dialed down in order to shift properly?

I'm considering either getting that or an XT+tanpan for my next build and I'd like to know some experiences with the RX mech.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hex wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Would the tension need to be dialed down in order to shift properly?...
Haven't had to do any adjustments on mine and it shiifts fine with 36/46 & 10-42 cassette

Hex

by Hex

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:31 am
Hex wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Would the tension need to be dialed down in order to shift properly?...
Haven't had to do any adjustments on mine and it shiifts fine with 36/46 & 10-42 cassette
Cool. Thanks for the reply!

gummee

by gummee

I've got 2 of the Ultegra RX rear derailleurs. Best thing ever for gravel riding! Haven't raced CX on em yet, but I can't see why they won't be the bee's knees there too

No more chain slap!

I jumped on my XTR 10sp mtn bike without the clutch and had to remember to shift up to the big ring to keep the chain slap down.

M

brinjo

by brinjo

gummee wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:51 am
I've got 2 of the Ultegra RX rear derailleurs. Best thing ever for gravel riding! Haven't raced CX on em yet, but I can't see why they won't be the bee's knees there too

No more chain slap!

I jumped on my XTR 10sp mtn bike without the clutch and had to remember to shift up to the big ring to keep the chain slap down.

M
Great to hear it's working well for you. Are your RX derailleurs di2? Did you have to back off the clutch tension to get them to shift?

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

I think I am having the opposite problem with my Di2 RX with a 50/34 and 11/34 set-up-in the big ring, I can shift down to the 11 tooth cog, but then it will not come back up the cassette. I have to shift down to the small ring (34) in semi-sync mode so that the chain will move up a few cogs (since Di2 will not let you cross chain in the small ring) and then I shift back up to the big ring and shifting is normal again unless I go back down to the 11t. This is a recent problem and I have had the setup for about 6 months. The problem disappears and all shifting is good when I disengage the clutch. I originally experienced this when the battery was running really low, but the problem is still there after charging the battery back up and updating all the Di2 components. Will check with the builder and my LBS, but any thoughts on what could be causing this? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Do you have access to the PC1 connector? You might want to plug it into the RD and the battery to see if there's anything wrong with the devices.