Ultegra RX road clutch RD for 2x11 and 2x10

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

zmjones

by zmjones

j0dan wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:52 pm
I finished my setup with a 50/34 crank and a RX805 with 11-40t cassette. In the end I did need the RoadLink DM to get good shifting performance. If you *don't* have a RoadLink you will need a longer b-screw.

EDIT: I had an every so slightly bent hanger causing issues that the RoadLink mitigated. With a new hanger even the original hanger works great.
how slack is the chain in 34-11 or other small-small combos? i'm about to try this out. it is definitely over capacity by quite a lot so imagine there must be *some* shifting performance degradation.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Calnago wrote:You should be fine. The separate piece of housing that is included with the newer rear derailleurs is very flexible (not stiffer as you mention above) and the steel is wound like a brake housing cable versus a standard derailleur cable housing. This makes it easier to route a short tight radius bend from the end of the chainstay exit port to the attachment point on the rear derailleur. But with your Crocket, the housing runs along and outside of the chainstay so you should be able to get a nice easy loop all the way to the derailleur. In other words, you’ll be fine. With a larger loop, you don’t want the derailleur housing to be too flexible back there or it would be flopping all around which is not what you want next to the rotating sprockets, chain and spokes.
I can confirm this on a 2017 Crockett. The housing I used for a 6800 derailleur need to be shortened for the 8000. Standard housing from the top tube to the derailleur.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Ordered one of the Di2 units for the Allez, overkill for road but it will be nice to not have chainslap on some of the choppy descents we have here.
Using Tapatalk

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

I've just noticed a problem with my RX-805 where I'll shift into 1x1 (smallest chainring, largest cog) and then a couple seconds later it will automatically shit up to 1x2 (smallest chainring and second largest cog). Anyone else seen this happen?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Check your low limit setting. The motor is probably encountering resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Thanks for the suggestion. So get this. In order to shift into and stay in the largest cog, you have to double tap the shifter. What the f Shimano?

ooo

by ooo

check hanger alignment
'

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So if you do a single tap the RD will shift but then drops down. If you do a double tap it'll shift but stay up?

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:58 am
So if you do a single tap the RD will shift but then drops down. If you do a double tap it'll shift but stay up?
Correct.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Will it still do this if you remove the rear wheel? Can you try it without the wheel?

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 am
Will it still do this if you remove the rear wheel? Can you try it without the wheel?
So it seems I lied. Another day another different behaviour. The double clicking won't keep the RD shifted into the lowest cog anymore. I tested your scenarios and the the upshifting takes place with the wheel removed, with a different wheel and the RD detached from the hanger.

You can hear it making the resistance noise in the video but clearly nothing is resisting it from staying shifted into the lowest cog. It's even detached from the hanger so there should be no resistance at all.

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

I just tried putting the di2 system in crash recovery mode and it didn't change anything.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

That multiple clicking sound indicates the motor hit resistance and can't move any further. You need to back off on the limit screw like I suggested earlier.

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:00 am
That multiple clicking sound indicates the motor hit resistance and can't move any further. You need to back off on the limit screw like I suggested earlier.

You are totally right. I backed off the screw and it's shifting fine. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Quick question, anyone know of any issues (or Shimano guidance) on using the RX805 with an oval ring? I have it set up on my Hakka with a wolftooth elliptical (42x) and the clutch doesn’t seem to be holding (certainly not as well as I would expect).

Not sure if it is the derailleur itself or my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk