Canyon Grail

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Roel W

by Roel W

I wonder how long it will take before Canyon will enter the gravel bike market.

https://twitter.com/canyon_bikes/status ... 3786042369
Last edited by Roel W on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

What's going on with those bars?

tetedecourse

by tetedecourse

Canyon has just launched a new bike called Canyon Grail. We have looked into the new bike that fits the gravel people.

Gravel, country roads. new roads or adventures. Several people begin to get their eyes on gravel roads or other terrain than the "just" straightway road. Whether it's about driving in other areas or just getting away from traffic, more people have started combining gravel and asphalt to get their daily fix.

There are many that are open to interpretation when it comes to building the "perfect" grind bike. From custom roadway frameworks to mechanical suspension components developed from mountain bikes, focus on this area has often been a little blurred. Now more and more manufacturers are starting to make a bike between a mountain bike, cross country and road bike.

The search for a bike that is adhered to the smooth - and stable on the uneven, has inspired Canyon to find the point between speed and comfort. The brand new Grail is their most "adventurous" road development ever.

Comfort was the area where Canyon engineers set the barren high to give Grail its skills in all terrain. To help neutralize the increase of shocks and vibrations that hit the moment. As you turn the asphalt, they came up with "Hover System".

Focusing on the key touch points including a uniquely integrated cockpit, documented VCLS 2.0 seatpin technology and the latest tires and rim systems, Grail is built to float over uneven surfaces - without the rider being pierced.

The most eye-catching element of the grail is the Hover bar. Its unique double-deck configuration is born to better meet the rider's requirements for a steering wheel that is resilient on the top, providing comfort when cruising around uneven surfaces and stiffening in the bend of spurts or downs.

The fluid Flex range utilizes the elastic properties of the carbon to gently divert and absorb shocks and vibrations that are transmitted through the rider. The Hover control adds only 120 grams to a conventional cockpit setup and is easier than alternative suspension systems and is free of maintenance.

Several features at Grail take rider control to a higher level. Its increased axle distance creates a super steady ride, while the mountain bike inspired cockpit with short and effective crankshaft lengths and wider steering delivers the necessary agility when it becomes technical.

All Grail models come equipped with 40 mm. Schwalbe G-ONE Bite tire matched with a tubeless ready rim with inside minimum width of 22 mm, allowing riders to ride with lower tire pressure for greater traction.

The frame is made of carbon, which keeps the weight down. In a size medium, the Grail CF SLX frame has a weight of just 830 grams, and it's still strong enough to handle the punishments that come when driving off-road. Shimano gear group with a new low 1: 1 gear ratio offers a wide range that will be used to tackle varied terrain without having to work with heavy gear from gear to gear.

2018 Grail series comes in six models: Five Grail CF SL models are now available for ordering including a women-specific model with Grail CF SLX at the top of the row.

http://www.feltet.dk/nyheder/produktnyt ... ige_grail/ by Google Translate [smile]

Interestingly, the story is "Published 15 March at 11:00"

Roel W

by Roel W

Unfortunately no AL version.
CF frame, CF bar, Ultegra groupset,.... this is gonna be expensive.

I would be interested in an affordable gravel bike for occasional use (alloy frame, 105 groupset).

guyc

by guyc

Is that lower section on the bar for strength or to be held by the rider? It looks like the regular tops will get in the way of the latter....

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nope it's not expensive....

The top section is free from the stem, which means you can benefit from the flex not interrupted by the stem
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Roel W

by Roel W

I've seen this kind of bar before:

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Roel W wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 am
I've seen this kind of bar before:
Was thinking the same thing. Put some drop in extensions on some of the 15mm rise AeroFly bars and turn them upside down and you have similar to what Canyon did here.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's a bit strange Pinarello (S-models), Wilier NDR, Specialized Roubaix, Trek (Iso speed) etc offer suspension on road bikes, but still all gravel bikes are stiff (Lauf True Grit is the exception.
I had been more interested if they had invented some sort of suspension fork, 20-30mm.
Fitting a handlebar that flex more doesn't affect traction one bit.
Might aswell use a Lauf Grit and a carbon handlebar, it will probably offer both better traction and less fatigue.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

cerro

by cerro

Cannondale Slate was the first what I know with suspension in front too. The bad things with suspension fork is when you're standing and sprinting on asphalt and such things.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yes, sprinting provokes Grit, which a stiff fork will not suffer from.
Also noted if you ride at higher speeds and cornering.
Lateral stiffness is not on par with a stiff fork.
There are some trade offs, that is true.
Question is if there will be a ligher fork than Grit, with higher lateral stiffness and no bob.
For now it seems gravel is such a small genre which make typical gravel specific forks too costly.
I think this is why we see very limited options.

Grit makes more sense if you ride a bit harsher terrain. Fatter tires will not function on par with Grit.
I have tested this back and forth myself.
With Grit the bike just keep on bombing.
A stiff fork in direct comparison, rattle like hell.

What would be cool is if 3T made a fork together with THM (which they now own).

I don't see a true benefit with a handlebar made to flex. The front end is still stiff.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

silvalis

by silvalis

cerro wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm
Cannondale Slate was the first what I know with suspension in front too. The bad things with suspension fork is when you're standing and sprinting on asphalt and such things.
that's what the lockout is for.
Fox also make a 40mm gravel fork.
Chasse patate

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Predictions: Will the weird handlebar increase sales by drawing people to the "innovation" of it and the associated weird frame or will it hurt sales because people don't want to be stuck with a frame that only works with one weird handlebar? I'm guessing the latter and think Canyon took a sketchy gamble that they'll backpedal after one year.

A reference could be the Future Shock. I was told by a Specialized dealer that Roubaix sales are way down now that they all come with disc brakes and the shock. Too much complexity and weight for some buyers. I think that particular feature will sell much better on the Diverge line.

Marin

by Marin

I think all the gimmicks will disappear, and clever component design and good tires will stay.

Someone should think about how to make rigid disc forks more compliant. And no, the solution is not called "Zertz".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com