flat mount or post mount for 2016 trek boone

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jjones

by jjones

Hi,

I picked up a 2016 trek boone disc frame. This is my disc bike and I am very unfamiliar with disc systems. I am going to go with a mechnical set up paired with standard 10 speed sram shifters.

Frankly, I am confused whether the frame takes flat mount or post mount calipers (maybe even either?). I will be looking for something on the light side whether flat mount or post mount. The bike will be used for road/gravel road riding mostly.

I apprectiat any clarification regarding post mount vs flat mount. Once I know my target I should be able to figure a light and function set up. Any advice regarding 140mm or 160mm would be appreciated too. I'm am planning 140mm at this point.

Thanks,
Jeff

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Post-mount. I definitely wouldn't go larger than 140mm in the rear. 160mm front is probably the way to go and even Trek eventually went to 160mm front on the Boone.
2016 Diverge Expert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

My 2014 or 2015 Crockett is post. 140mm with a 20mm spacer. I'm 86kg, and I'd go 160mm F&R all the way. Dirt is deformable and gripy, so you can get more traction than on asphalt. 140mm is fine for road only.
Pad choice is more important - go organic/resin for everyday as it gives good initial cold bite. Metallic only for hills/long braking.
On rotors, they're all the same for the most part, the biggest decision is 6 hole v centerlock. 6 hole can be converted to centerlock easily.

That's a QR frame right? Get a DT Swiss dt swiss rws skewer in front as the fork will shimmy under hard dirt braking (not dangerous, just annoying)