Your Dream Wet Weather/CX/Gravel/Commuter Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Just got a Giant Toughroad SLR GX0... Funnest bike i have ridden. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/toughroad-slr-gx-0
It is pretty fast on the road and can handle singletrack.
Otherwise maybe a Cannondale Slate?

markdjr

by markdjr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

https://www.instagram.com/p/BltFWHCgEjd ... jonaslundb That one but with tubular wheelset with the new FMB graveltires. A THM Clavicula crank with a 46t Garbaruk chainring instead of 44t as on the picture. And a Berk handlebarcombo in the same shape :D

Conza

by Conza

Nice gents! Keep them coming. :D
It's all about the adventure :o .

TiFan

by TiFan

I am currently awaiting a custom Enigma Ti frame which is basically built for what you want. Endurance geo but short headtube so can get aggressive if desired, clearance for 35mm tyres, 32 with guards, DI2 routing and obviously disc brakes.
Building it with Ultegra DI2 1x, Hope wheels, Fizik finishing kit... really looking forward to getting it and will post up some pics when done!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm awaiting another Parlee Z-Zero (XD this time).. semi- endurance geo but still close to CX. Short headtube can run 40mm ..probably 35 with fenders, HED Ardennes wheels.. R8070 hydro Ultegra Di2, Easton EC70 AX bars. Plan to have midcompact 52/34 chainrings with 11-34t outback.. Got Schwalbe G-Speeds in 30mm for the mostly road I plan to be doing.. lots of single track in my neck of the woods that I have not been on in a decade. Not a WW build I hope to weigh most of it. Frame is coming tomorrow..excited.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Marin

by Marin

TiFan wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:05 pm
Endurance geo but short headtube
I thought the only thing Endurance geo meant was long headtube?

FreaK

by FreaK

Personally, if it's really meant for being thrown around and stuff, and commuting in particular I would second everyone else suggesting Ti, but I would stay away from alu. at least if it's a long term thing. Al dropouts and bb threads tend to get munched over time especially because city riding is far worse for filth getting into BBs and getting flats than is riding out on the open road or trails in the wilderness. So I would make the choice between Ti and steel.

I went for a CX frame with discs and a double ring. Full length fenders, because getting soaked on a sport ride is not the same as getting soaked on your way in to work in 8C. Were I in a flat place it would almost certainly have been singlespeed.

Edited to add: I 'like' internal gear hubs, but the extra weight right on the rear axle means that you're going to lose some comfort. If your commute is really bumpy and or long, it may be more tiring.
Last edited by FreaK on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

AJS914

by AJS914

emotive wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:05 am
I bought a used alloy Focus Mares with Rival, mounted some 35mm Compass slicks for smooth commuting, and on a $300 second set of wheels I put some 40mm Clement MSO's for weekend gravel riding.

snip but I find myself more often choosing comfort over speed when riding solo, and getting to work 1 minute later.

I've really enjoyed riding fire trails, rail trails, and the Amys Gravel Fondo route too, and can see more weekends exploring off road. (snip)
That is pretty much my experience with a Specialized S-Works Crux. I changed the gears and got a wheelset with the same Clement xPlor MSO tires. It was so much fun I rode it fall, winter, and spring. I was having so much fun on trails, gravel roads with it that I didn't ride my mountain bike all year.

aspender

by aspender

Long time lurker, first time poster but given I've just taken ownership of my attempt to answer the question of "what is the best all round go-anywhere, do-anything drop handlebar bike" question I thought I'd chip in. This will be used for work commute throughout the year, winter road rides, carrying my daughter in her Hamax bike seat on family rides, gravel sportives in the UK and if time allows and permission granted some audax events.

Kinesis Tripster AT 54cm frame
Shimano Di2 1x11 with a Deore XT rear mech, Ultegra hydro shifters and 11-40 cassette
40t Praxis Works Zayante crankset
Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc wheels
Schwalbe 35mm G-One Allroad tyres run tubeless
Brooks Cambium C13 saddle
Ritchey WCS finishing kit
Ritchey WCS VentureMax bars
Lizardskin DSP bar tape
Deore XT SPDs

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Getting there. Guard eyes fitted & resprayed now with a Dura Ace Di2 hydro group. Mudguards & 27mm tyres until I have 650b option built. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Stainless Heretic in Winter mode:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

only pic I have with fenders on
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

kytyree

by kytyree

Got a Trail Donkey frame waiting for me to pick it up today after work.

Hopefully the rest of the parts continue to roll in on time too, should be fun getting in some miles on it this spring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

karmaz

by karmaz

kytyree wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:48 pm
Got a Trail Donkey frame waiting for me to pick it up today after work.

Hopefully the rest of the parts continue to roll in on time too, should be fun getting in some miles on it this spring.
Congrats! Still in the process of building mine up. How are you gonna spec it?