Your Dream Wet Weather/CX/Gravel/Commuter Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

psi

by psi

I got my father a Focus Paralane on sale right as the pandemic hit. It was a crazy good deal - $1500 CAD for a carbon frame with Tiagra 4700. The shop must have been kicking themselves after as it was just before the bike demand went crazy. It comes with built in fenders (removable) that look really sleek.

Honestly Tiagra 4700 is the best deal going. It's hydro and basically has the same shifting mechanism (and cable pull) as the 11 speed mechanical 105/Ultegra/Dura ace, but they just limited it to 10 speeds. I cannot tell any difference between how it shifts vs my Ultegra bike. The hoods look a bit odd with the big hydraulic bulge but for the price I could learn to love those chubby suckers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

Tiagra 4700 was the new 105 5800 with ST-RS505. There were some really good deals until march 2019. Now everything is expensive. Hopefully prices come down by the end of year or next year as most will have to spend money on mortgages, electricity and rising prices across the board.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

smokva

by smokva

Here are my thoughts about bike that i'll use for commuting and touring which can include some gravel riding too

Frameset/fork should be:
- rather cheap
- be very robust so that it doesn't flex arround while loaded for touring
- have desired geometry (I like standard road racing geometry with fast handling and with STR of 1,5 on frame size 60, don't like touring and gravel geometries)
- have clearance for wide tires AND mudguards (atleast 35mm with mudguards)
- have all possible mounts (mudguards, fenders, lights, easy rider....)
- be able to accept double leg kickstand (after first touring you'll understand why)
- have external cable routing for easy maintenance (important for touring)
- have BSA/ITA bottom bracket (no place for press fit on this bike)
- have mounts for mini v-brakes (it gets alost imposible to find it these days)

Wheels should:
- have atleast 32 strong spokes (I suggest 2.3/2.0 spokes like DT Alpine) and brass nipples
- have easy servicable hubs (I prefer cup and cone bearings)
- dynamo front hub (to power up lights and usb charging)
- have strong durable rims with internal widths of at least 18-19 mm

Braking system:
- preferably mini v-brakes (disc shouldn't be you first choice - don't want to overheat hydraulics or change pads after every two descents)
- if using disc brakes I suggest cable actuated ones (mechanical like TRP spyre or hydraulic like TRP HY/RD) with atlest 180 mm rotors 2,3 mm thick (works nice with brakes designed for 1,8 mm rotors)
- use good pads and always have few spares in saddle bag as loaded bikes burn them like crazy. This is especially important for disc brakes...one long descent and you have no more pad material.

Groupset:
- Triple chainring at the front is still best whatever they tell you. Imho best combo is 50-39-26 (I modified 105-5703 series 50-39-30 to 50-39-26) with something like 12-32 cassette.
- Rest of the groupset at your own preference, but there is no place for di2/eps or such nonsences (I have built my arround Campagnolo 11 which was especially hard to combine with TRP HY/RD due to different pull ration of Campagnolo and everyone else. At the end I had to install modified actuation arm on brakes to make it compatible with Campagnolo pull)
- Have in mind to build with strong (not light) components that are easyly servicable with widely available spares

Lights:
Dynamo powered front and rear lights (for front headlight i suggest Busch and Muller IQ series of lights)

Rear rack:
- must be able to carry heavy loads and muptiple positions for bags (like Tubus Logo).

uppis

by uppis

freakforti wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:30 pm
My Seven EvergreenSL gets the job done for years now - I just alter the tires 😉

https://www.flickr.com/gp/freakforti/c8J3827Ac8
Which mudguards are those?

vinc

by vinc

I recently got a giant tcx for gravelcrosswinterallroadbike and I must say it is a splendid good do-it-all bike. Great handling and riding on the roads with 28mm slicks as well as in the fields with 33 or 40-45 mm cross/gravel tires. I sure could recommend one Image

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

freakforti

by freakforti

uppis wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:22 am
freakforti wrote:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/b ... y-designed

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

vinc wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:48 pm
I recently got a giant tcx for gravelcrosswinterallroadbike and I must say it is a splendid good do-it-all bike. Great handling and riding on the roads with 28mm slicks as well as in the fields with 33 or 40-45 mm cross/gravel tires. I sure could recommend one Image
From what I can see no fender mounts so not a proper wet weather/commuter bike.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

vinc

by vinc

Mr.Gib wrote:
vinc wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:48 pm
From what I can see no fender mounts so not a proper wet weather/commuter bike.
That’s true

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

uppis

by uppis

freakforti wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:19 pm
uppis wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:22 am
freakforti wrote:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/b ... y-designed
Thanks, not cheap but looks good. Any rattles, do they hit the tires at all?

freakforti

by freakforti

not a bit - they work just fine 👍

naska7942

by naska7942

Very similar to the bike I'm looking for

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Just built this Flanders up for commuting and wet weather!

Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Carbonda 696 - pic was taken after I rode to work on a rainy day. With a couple of strategically placed neoprene washers and o-rings the fenders are completely silent (save the pebbles that occasionally go between the tire and fender).

Speedplay is the devil!