Your Dream Wet Weather/CX/Gravel/Commuter Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kytyree

by kytyree

Rival 1x with a 10-42, nothing to exotic but I am planning to add a p2m meter to some praxxis cranks. I'll start working on it soon.

Edit to add:

I've held off on a gravel bike for awhile but I'm really looking forward to some of the riding I have planned. And I've become more interested in gravel events, they line up well with my mood these days.

I've thought I might not ride a gravel bike often enough to justify it but I think what I do get in is going to be some fun stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

You'll be suprised how much you ride it once you have it! Don't set it up too offroad-focused (mostly a tire thing) and it becomes *the* bike you grab when you just want to go out and ride.

kytyree

by kytyree

I'm planning to go with a middle of the road tire to start, something general purpose. I like the idea of an "all road" and some of the big tires but for my mostly prairie farm road riding I don't think trending toward a mountain bike would be that useful.

Truth is I ride a lot of the roads around here now on tires measuring 28mm but there's a definite limit to how much of that ride my body can asorb, and when the gravel is new/deep/muddy a wider tire is necessary before it goes from sketchy to unridable.

It will be handy around here to get out onto some roads with lighter traffic, there are plenty of farm roads paved and unpaved around here but a lot of my two lane "farm to markets" also have plenty of 75mph traffic including the big cattle trucks.

Conza

by Conza

Re-birthing this - given:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=170847
Conza wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:03 am
Hi team,

Newly minted dad. The BMC Team machine + Giant TCR haven't seen the road since she was born. Dusting off the cobwebs now. Looking to transition from walks in the Thule Glide 2.0 to the bike.

Goal:
* Safe road rides with the young one. Ideally her being comfortable, but also trailer being aero. Bring on group rides? :shock: :lol:

Scenario:
* The old Giant TCR has DA mechanical, Pioneer PM, light, rim brakes, and more of a climbing bike. But does have 52-36, 11-30.
* The BMC Team Machine has Ultegra di2, no PM, disk brakes, and is more of the dream bike - for group rides etc. 52-36, 11-30.

* Knowing myself - if I have to spend time manually connecting the trailer every time; it will hardly get used. The bike would likely stay attached to the trailer in the garage; and it becomes the 'adventures with daughter bike'.
* We already have the Thule Glide 2.0 for walks etc. so this trailer doesn't need to really do that - it can be bike only focused.
* I am looking at a PM for the BMC Team Machine. Since I am heavy on Garmin ecosystem and shimano spd-sl, the Rally 200 pedals are top of list. I would want the ride PM data.

Initial thoughts:
* I saw this from Rick Zabel on Cyclingtips -> https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce4AbINDQwn/. I asked him and he said it's a Cybex Zeno.
* I would need to get a thru-axle adaptor, if I was going to use it on the BMC Team machine. Idea being: disk brakes; better, safer stopping, and happier wife.
* I imagine thru axle is safer to a degree?
* Would get Garmin PM - Rally 200 for BMC. How would that work with trailer though - I change my weight by the trailer, and my daughter? haha. How would that effect things Power to weight; when I ride solo on other climbing bike? Data would be messy on strava, or should be like for like to an extent?

Request:
* Please shill me your recommendations.

Are there better trailers out there? What would you recommend?
Except I have come to the conclusion - maybe a new bike is best - instead of the dream bike BMC, and giant.

So - given my initial wet weather/cx/grave/commuter bike category - that'd be perfectly fine for adding on the above to it (i.e. kid trailer)?
It's all about the adventure :o .

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

This but with mudguards.

robertbb

by robertbb

Steve Curtis wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:31 pm
This but with mudguards.
What is that?

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

robertbb wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:46 am
Steve Curtis wrote:
This but with mudguards.
What is that?
A Pickenflick. Probably one of my all time favourite frames regardless of cost or material.
It's not light or super fast, but it's a brilliant ride.

robertbb

by robertbb

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:58 am
robertbb wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:
This but with mudguards.
What is that?
A Pickenflick. Probably one of my all time favourite frames regardless of cost or material.
Totally understand. My fav all time bike is a $300 flat bar aluminium Giant I got on gumtree... (No shit!).

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

My Sturdy gravel bike which runs 50mm 650b slicks with mud guards. 2.2" 650b mtb tyres for knarly gravel, 35mm 700c CX tyres for cross and light gravel
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

smartyiak

by smartyiak

For all those requirements, I think I would pick a Salsa Warbird.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

robertbb wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:33 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:58 am
robertbb wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:
This but with mudguards.
What is that?
Totally understand. My fav all time bike is a $300 flat bar aluminium Giant I got on gumtree... (No shit!).
It's great when you find one like that. Reminds you that riding isn't all about KOMs and PB's. Just enjoy, and go for a spin.

Conza

by Conza

Conza wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:22 pm
Re-birthing this - given:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=170847
Conza wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:03 am
Hi team,

Newly minted dad. The BMC Team machine + Giant TCR haven't seen the road since she was born. Dusting off the cobwebs now. Looking to transition from walks in the Thule Glide 2.0 to the bike.

Goal:
* Safe road rides with the young one. Ideally her being comfortable, but also trailer being aero. Bring on group rides? :shock: :lol:

Scenario:
* The old Giant TCR has DA mechanical, Pioneer PM, light, rim brakes, and more of a climbing bike. But does have 52-36, 11-30.
* The BMC Team Machine has Ultegra di2, no PM, disk brakes, and is more of the dream bike - for group rides etc. 52-36, 11-30.

* Knowing myself - if I have to spend time manually connecting the trailer every time; it will hardly get used. The bike would likely stay attached to the trailer in the garage; and it becomes the 'adventures with daughter bike'.
* We already have the Thule Glide 2.0 for walks etc. so this trailer doesn't need to really do that - it can be bike only focused.
* I am looking at a PM for the BMC Team Machine. Since I am heavy on Garmin ecosystem and shimano spd-sl, the Rally 200 pedals are top of list. I would want the ride PM data.

Initial thoughts:
* I saw this from Rick Zabel on Cyclingtips -> https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce4AbINDQwn/. I asked him and he said it's a Cybex Zeno.
* I would need to get a thru-axle adaptor, if I was going to use it on the BMC Team machine. Idea being: disk brakes; better, safer stopping, and happier wife.
* I imagine thru axle is safer to a degree?
* Would get Garmin PM - Rally 200 for BMC. How would that work with trailer though - I change my weight by the trailer, and my daughter? haha. How would that effect things Power to weight; when I ride solo on other climbing bike? Data would be messy on strava, or should be like for like to an extent?

Request:
* Please shill me your recommendations.

Are there better trailers out there? What would you recommend?
Except I have come to the conclusion - maybe a new bike is best - instead of the dream bike BMC, and giant.

So - given my initial wet weather/cx/grave/commuter bike category - that'd be perfectly fine for adding on the above to it (i.e. kid trailer)?
Thoughts on this - https://www.99bikes.com.au/norco-search ... rey-2020-1 ?

More Information
SKU 20NorcoSearchXRS1WarmGrey
Season 2020
Click & Collect Yes
Wheel Size 700c
Frame Material Chromoly
Fork Material Carbon
Colour Grey
Groupset Brand Shimano
Groupset Shimano GRX
Rear Gears 11 Speed
Front Gears Double
Brake Type Hydraulic Disc Brake
Bottom Bracket Easton PressFit BB86
Brakes Hydraulic Disc Brake
Brake Levers Shimano GRX RX600 Hydraulic
Cassette Shimano CS-HG700 11-34T
Chain Shimano CS-HG700 11-34T
Crankset Easton EA90 46/30T
Derailleur Front Shimano 105 FD-R7000
Derailleur Rear Shimano GRX RD-RX810
Fork Search XR Mid-Modulus Carbon
Frame Search Reynolds 725 Chromoly Steel
Grips Norco Griptacular Shockproof
Handlebar Easton EA70 AX Aluminum, 16deg Flare
Headset FSA 44mm Cartridge Bearing
Hubs F: Sealed Bearing 12x100mm TA R: Sealed Bearing w/Alloy Freehub 12x142mm TA
Pedals Not Included
Rims WTB ST Light i23 TCS 2.0, Tubeless Ready
Saddle Norco SL Race, Cromo Rails
Seatpost X-Fusion Manic Gravel 50mm Dropper, Drop-Bar Remote
Stem Norco SL Aluminum - Custom Painted
Spokes Sapim Race Butted, Black, Black Brass Nipples
Shifters Shimano GRX RX600 Hydraulic
Tyres WTB Resolute TCS 700x42c, Tubeless Compatible System, Tanwall
Speeds 2 x 11

$1,000 off atm. Specifically for wet weather/cx/gravel/commuter AND mostly in the near term: carrying the bike trailer for new young one.?
It's all about the adventure :o .

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

kytyree wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:31 pm
I'm planning to go with a middle of the road tire to start, something general purpose. I like the idea of an "all road" and some of the big tires but for my mostly prairie farm road riding I don't think trending toward a mountain bike would be that useful.

Truth is I ride a lot of the roads around here now on tires measuring 28mm but there's a definite limit to how much of that ride my body can asorb, and when the gravel is new/deep/muddy a wider tire is necessary before it goes from sketchy to unridable.

It will be handy around here to get out onto some roads with lighter traffic, there are plenty of farm roads paved and unpaved around here but a lot of my two lane "farm to markets" also have plenty of 75mph traffic including the big cattle trucks.
I found a big change just not chasing marginal gains. I'm using a Ti Enigma Escape with 28mm on some road wheels and some 38mm Gravelkings SK for everything else. I had to shim my rear disc to make it a perfect alignment but now it's a 2minute job switching wheels and pedals to go from road to gravel, also swap my 28mm tyres out to 32mm and gaurds in winter.

Only things I would change if I started again would probably be to go for cheaper cassettes and chainrings as they get chewed up quicker on gravel/winter than I was used too on a road bike

Anders

by Anders

Have a look at the Canyon Grail AL 7 with Rival AXS. You can fit the Canyon mudguards and run the 24mm wide wheels tubeless with 30-32mm for great comfort.

freakforti

by freakforti

My Seven EvergreenSL gets the job done for years now - I just alter the tires 😉

https://www.flickr.com/gp/freakforti/c8J3827Ac8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com