Sram etap

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jowwy

by Jowwy

Has anyone gone large with their sram etap..........i'm talking 36, 40 or 42 cassettes and single chainring upfront. If so how is it going? what changes would you make to it?

is it for road? gravel? monstercross?.............

Last edited by Jowwy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jowwy

by Jowwy

Chatty bunch on here lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NickJHP

by NickJHP

SRAM only rate the eTap RD for up to 32t on the cassette (with the WiFli model). Means you might possibly eke out a 34, but probably not a 36, which is two thirds of an inch larger diameter. In the photo you show, it looks like a Wolf Tooth Roadlink has been used to drop the whole RD. I tried one of those a while ago with a Campagnolo RD to see if I could fit a larger cassette. There were two problems:
  • The shifting was crap on the smaller cogs because the top jockey pulley was too far from the cassette.
  • With short chainstays it was very difficult to drop the rear wheel out, because the whole RD had been moved forward.
SRAM 11s mechanical road shifters are completely compatible with their 10s MTB derailleurs - I have a couple of bikes using Force 22 shifters with an X9 RD and Shimano 11-40 cassette. SRAM list all the compatible components here: https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/tech ... -actuation.

cerro

by cerro

My Specialized S-Works Diverge. 10-42 X01 cassette with a 44t Garbaruk front chainring. Sram Red eTap Wifli RD with a Wolf Tooth roadlink. Works for the gravelriding I'm doing :)

Jowwy

by Jowwy

NickJHP wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 pm
SRAM only rate the eTap RD for up to 32t on the cassette (with the WiFli model). Means you might possibly eke out a 34, but probably not a 36, which is two thirds of an inch larger diameter. In the photo you show, it looks like a Wolf Tooth Roadlink has been used to drop the whole RD. I tried one of those a while ago with a Campagnolo RD to see if I could fit a larger cassette. There were two problems:
  • The shifting was crap on the smaller cogs because the top jockey pulley was too far from the cassette.
  • With short chainstays it was very difficult to drop the rear wheel out, because the whole RD had been moved forward.
SRAM 11s mechanical road shifters are completely compatible with their 10s MTB derailleurs - I have a couple of bikes using Force 22 shifters with an X9 RD and Shimano 11-40 cassette. SRAM list all the compatible components here: https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/tech ... -actuation.
Maybe the shifting was crap with the woolftooth as it's for designed for shimano and not campag.......and as you say shorter chainstays.

I've used the roadlink with the etap before in the alps with a 40t rear cassette and 46/34 front crankset and it shifted seamlessly. But then my chainstays are 440mm so not exactly short.

Also I'm talking etap here and not sram mechanical as per all the information you listed, but thanks anyway

Jowwy

by Jowwy

cerro wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 pm

My Specialized S-Works Diverge. 10-42 X01 cassette with a 44t Garbaruk front chainring. Sram Red eTap Wifli RD with a Wolf Tooth roadlink. Works for the gravelriding I'm doing :)
Looks good......would you change anything on the set-up???

grover

by grover

Nino Schurter was just spotted riding an etap rear derailleur with a clutch on his mountain bike. Means we may see an etap derailleur designed for your needs soon. Maybe just wait?

Jowwy

by Jowwy

grover wrote:Nino Schurter was just spotted riding an etap rear derailleur with a clutch on his mountain bike. Means we may see an etap derailleur designed for your needs soon. Maybe just wait?
Im not one for waiting.....and as i know its already been working without any issues with an adaptor attached thats designed for the job

No point waiting for more expensive kit that may not be compatible

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Jowwy

by Jowwy

Jowwy wrote:
grover wrote:Nino Schurter was just spotted riding an etap rear derailleur with a clutch on his mountain bike. Means we may see an etap derailleur designed for your needs soon. Maybe just wait?
Im not one for waiting.....and as i know its already been working without any issues with an adaptor attached thats designed for the job

It could just be happeningImage

moyboy

by moyboy

Oh boy! wonder if it will work with Red eTap shifters like how the Shimano road works with the XTR rear di2 mech
Jowwy wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:21 am
Jowwy wrote:

It could just be happeningImage

cerro

by cerro

Jowwy: Would have liked an 11t, so 10-36 would be perfect.

Jowwy

by Jowwy

KaneChang wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:54 pm
eTap wifil run a 36T cassette is no problem

https://youtu.be/DaJnUUYirq4
I run a 42t on mine no problem with the added woolftooth roadlink

Jowwy

by Jowwy

cerro wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 pm
I'm running 42t upfront and a 11/42 cassette, works like a dream

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

cerro wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 pm
Even better: https://r2-bike.com/LEONARDI-RACING-Cas ... 1-speed-XD