Has anyone moved from discs back to canti?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Multebear

by Multebear

I’m sick and tired of all the different standards regarding axles and disc size. And soon everyone will probably moove to boost hubs and 12 speed and so on.....

I’m seriously thinking about getting rid of all my disc related gear, and just go back to canti bikes. The wheels are the same as my roadbike (rimbrake), the bike is lighter and everything is cheaper. Secondhand gear is extremely nice priced especially if you settle for 10 speed. Used top wheels in good condition are going for less than € 300.

Has anyone done it? And how does it workout for you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

:noidea:
We now have nothing but disc road, gravel, and mountain bikes, and I am slowly disposing of all our non-disc brake related parts.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Marin

by Marin

I built a caliper allroad bike so I could keep using my wheelsets across all my bikes. Still takes 48mm tires if I need them.

Multebear

by Multebear

Marin wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm
I built a caliper allroad bike so I could keep using my wheelsets across all my bikes. Still takes 48mm tires if I need them.
Very interesting. Do you have pics/link?

Multebear

by Multebear

Marin wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm
Sure, https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/86568
This bike is awesome.

Geoff

by Geoff

I still have both. I prefer the modulation and control of the canti system, but it is very obvious that the disc brakes are superior overall. The stopping power and consistency cannot be matched. Sure, there are some courses where cantis are superior. Generally speaking, I do not see that much mud during the season. If you do, then maybe cantis would be best. On really muddy courses, a set of disc pads might not survive a whole hour, but that would be a pretty rare case, I think.

In the end, it should come down to your preference. If you like the feel of cantis, they are still just fine for 'cross. Just be prepared not to be able to dive into an apex with those disc guys in every situation...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Rather then pull the fenders of my Trek Boone disc, I grabbed and old cross bike with mini V's for a gravel ride. They were fantastic. I'm going to leave the Boone for wet roads and ride gravel with the mini V's. I doubt I'd go gravel grinding in wet conditions so I'm not sure what I would gain from the discs. Certainly not more braking power - the mini V's are pretty insane. (I hate canti's though.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I was recently in the market for a gravel bike for my wife, and was leaning hard toward disc, but found a great deal on a Trek Boone 7 (canti) and couldn't pass it up. When compared to the disc brake models, given her riding style, I see no real need for disc brakes. She doesn't race CX, and I can use her old road wheels on the new bike. Plus, it's ligher, to boot!

nickf

by nickf

Don't need tires bigger then 38-40mm then you just don't need disc. Disc offer tire clearance and better modulation. Not more braking power.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

nickf wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:08 pm
Don't need tires bigger then 38-40mm then you just don't need disc. Disc offer tire clearance and better modulation. Not more braking power.
With you on that - on a loose surface braking power is definitely not the problem. IMO modulation comes down to talented hands, though discs make life easier for most.

Interestingly, I wanted to try my non-disc bike as a gravel rig precisely because it has massive tire clearance - more than my disc crosser. It's an old alloy Trek XO. With 40's on I have more then a centimeter in all directions. Any reasonable tire I could think of would fit with room to spare. I alway loved the way it handled and it indeed makes a fine gravel weapon.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Marin wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm
Sure, https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/86568
Sweet bike!

Do I see correctly in the photo notes that you use both 650b and 700c wheels on that bike? What kind of sidepull brakes do you use that have adequate pad adjustment range for the roughly 25mm difference in radius?

Marin

by Marin

TheKaiser wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 pm
Sweet bike!

Do I see correctly in the photo notes that you use both 650b and 700c wheels on that bike? What kind of sidepull brakes do you use that have adequate pad adjustment range for the roughly 25mm difference in radius?
Mid reach for 700c and long reach (r559) for 650b

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

Marin wrote:
TheKaiser wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 pm
Sweet bike!

Mid reach for 700c and long reach (r559) for 650b
So Marin, so you just change brakes depending on setup if I understand correctly? Agree that your bike is awesom looking! Cheers...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Yes, but I'm having a 2nd frame built so I can keep 1 bike on 700c and the other on 650b.