Has anyone moved from discs back to canti?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Multebear

by Multebear

I’m sick and tired of all the different standards regarding axles and disc size. And soon everyone will probably moove to boost hubs and 12 speed and so on.....

I’m seriously thinking about getting rid of all my disc related gear, and just go back to canti bikes. The wheels are the same as my roadbike (rimbrake), the bike is lighter and everything is cheaper. Secondhand gear is extremely nice priced especially if you settle for 10 speed. Used top wheels in good condition are going for less than € 300.

Has anyone done it? And how does it workout for you?

by Weenie

ms6073

by ms6073

:noidea:
We now have nothing but disc road, gravel, and mountain bikes, and I am slowly disposing of all our non-disc brake related parts.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

Marin

by Marin

I built a caliper allroad bike so I could keep using my wheelsets across all my bikes. Still takes 48mm tires if I need them.

Multebear

by Multebear

Marin wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm
I built a caliper allroad bike so I could keep using my wheelsets across all my bikes. Still takes 48mm tires if I need them.
Very interesting. Do you have pics/link?

Marin

by Marin

Multebear

by Multebear

Marin wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm
Sure, https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/86568
This bike is awesome.

Geoff

by Geoff

I still have both. I prefer the modulation and control of the canti system, but it is very obvious that the disc brakes are superior overall. The stopping power and consistency cannot be matched. Sure, there are some courses where cantis are superior. Generally speaking, I do not see that much mud during the season. If you do, then maybe cantis would be best. On really muddy courses, a set of disc pads might not survive a whole hour, but that would be a pretty rare case, I think.

In the end, it should come down to your preference. If you like the feel of cantis, they are still just fine for 'cross. Just be prepared not to be able to dive into an apex with those disc guys in every situation...

by Weenie