Canyon Inflite CF SLX

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

erik$

by erik$

Thanks, Arky!

PyotrGhimme

by PyotrGhimme

stormur wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:25 am
Except its ugliness ? ;)
Hmm I saw an actual bike with my eyes, it looked much better than advert images.
Anyway I do not deny that it's little bit exotic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PattiTalks

by PattiTalks

I think the bike looks way better in the "stealth" look in comparison with the yellow that Canyon has chosen for their flagship and thus advertisement campaign.
I like the fact that the same frameset can handle both electronic and mechanical shifting (given that the pro's ride the exact same frame as you can buy).

sib

by sib

Arky wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 pm
I cannot give an honest answer yet...
As you can see, I have swapped over to 28c road tires. I will be able to give a better answer of road feel with those.
How does the bike ride (esp. on the road)?
Are you happy with it?
Any weights?

Arky

by Arky

I am extremely happy with it as a road bike. What I like:

Design
-Industrial, very modern design. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I like how it looks. The appearance will eviscerate your average road bike and eat it alive. It has real presence in the dark color. I wish I did not post pictures of it previously. The pics are awful and do not do it justice. I will try to post more with better lighting, scene, and camera.

Quality
-Canyon quality is apparent everwhere, starting with packaging to the finished product. They seem to think everything through and execute good ideas.

Future proof
-Flat mount brakes, frame good for electric or mechanical, standard axle widths for road disc

Comfort
-The claimed comfort is real. Hiding an extra long seat post is clever. You basically get a very compact frame that does not look compact. I have about a foot of seat post above the low hidden clamp. There is probably comfort built in the frame as well. I have a feeling the kinked top tube and seat stays help somewhat. Bowed frame members obviously can compress and stretch small amounts better than straight ones, helping with comfort.

Little Aero Features
-Although not touted as having them, they did design kamm tails on the seat stays, seat tube, and fork. They are nice touches.

Integrated Bar and Stem
-I cannot fault the integrated bar and stem. It was a big selling point to me. Normally, I size down and go longer on the stem. Canyon has shortish stems on this bike to help with off-road control. To get proper reach, I had to get a larger bike than I am used to. The bigger bike feels surprisingly good to me. I am glad I was forced to go that route. The bar is also a little wider than I normally use. I like it more than expected as well.

While they break tradition, the “off-road” concepts of larger frame, shorter stem, and wide bar absolutely translates to a feeling of greater control on the road. You have to try it if you have not already.

FYI: Be careful with standover height. I am 6’2”/188cm and do not have much clearance when standing over the top tube.

Stiffness
-The frame is stout. It has to be, being built for off-road duty. My 200lb self does not flex it out of the saddle perceivably.

Stock Traditional Selle Italia SLR Saddle!!!!!
-Unbranded (not Canyon) with correct thin traditional padding. Bean counters do not get their way at Canyon. This is a quality piece. Very rare or non-existent on $3300 complete bikes of other brands. This one comes in a shape (concave at the sit bones) that seems to be hard to find these days.

Tubeless ready DT Swiss wheels
-28c tires tubeless on wide rims. They sound a lot like tubulars and ride ride smooth like tubulars. It seems like they are more round/concentric than tubulars, but it could be in my head.

Swiss Army Bike
Honestly, it has no downsides. Why have a road, cross, and gravel bike? This can do it all very well. It seems like it could serve as an occasional cross country mountain bike too.

sib

by sib

Thanks for the response - exactly what I was hoping to hear!

I'm also looking at getting a Cyclocross bike as an everyday bike (will ride it mainly on the road), and also thinking about a Giant TCX and Specialized Crux.
I think the Inflite looks great in real life, but I'm also a little worried it will feel dated in a year or two.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Thanks for the review. What size did you go for?

stormur

by stormur

sib wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 pm
Thanks for the response - exactly what I was hoping to hear!
Of course; if it sounds like advert... it is advert :mrgreen:

@"typical Canyon quality" - do not missinterpratate is "good quality"... it's average at best. Same as customer service after they'll take your money :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Arky

by Arky

It is a large. When you look at the geometry, don’t let the long head tube fool you. It is effectively a shorter head tube due to the B.B. being a little higher. The stack measurement tells the truth.

Advert? Stormur, you must have a Canyon voodoo doll or at least a Canyon shooting target! Does everything that is said of Canyon need a heckling comment? You hate this bike. Got it!

sib

by sib

Arky wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 pm
It is a large.
Ah, that's interesting.
I'm 178cm, and my usual top-tube and reach measurements are closest to an Inflite XS (although I'd have to switch out for a 110mm stem/bar combo).

You don't find the top-tube and/or reach unnaturally long, or the stem too short?

Arky

by Arky

I don’t find it long because it is close to sum of reach + stem measurements I had before. Add it up for what you have now, pick the closest Canyon combo, and keep the stem/bar they give you. The size of bike I ended up with is not what I would normally choose.

You would normally be 376 reach + 110stem = 486
The medium frame/stem combo is actually closest to that. I rolled the dice on this unconventional combination and am pleasantly surprised. I know some may be screaming heresy on this!

stormur

by stormur

Arky wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:17 pm
It is a large. When you look at the geometry, don’t let the long head tube fool you. It is effectively a shorter head tube due to the B.B. being a little higher. The stack measurement tells the truth.

Advert? Stormur, you must have a Canyon voodoo doll or at least a Canyon shooting target! Does everything that is said of Canyon need a heckling comment? You hate this bike. Got it!
No, you don't. You're very wrong.

"Most people don't think. They judge".

I have no feelings about it. Just visually not appealing ( kind name for ugly ).
My personal opinion about this frame design has nothing with Canyon service nor product quality.
It is as it is. Far from decent. Ask customers which had any issues with Canyon products still under warranty... many stories aren't with happy end, and quality issues aren't uncommon to this brand. Dealing with Canyon service may teach you meaning of "German arrogance"- that's impression of fellow Canyon (ex)owner.

I'll make your life easier ( or harder ) : anytime you read my post you can be absolutely sure it's not paid content. Also it's not biased because I do have/use products of this -that brand. Just personal opinion/ experience . Clear now ?

And yes, IMO bike is ugly. How it rides - no idea. And I don't want to know. I'm not interested in riding ugly bike .

BTW : If you consider anyone not sharing your opinion as "hater"- you have serious problem with yourself. Really serious.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Snabb

by Snabb

Considering this bike as a gravel bike. I am 184,5 cm. Should I go with M or L ?
If I compare the geometry to the Supersix it seems it runs Large. I have had a 56 and 58 cm supersix previously. Not a cyclocross bike but anyway.
Ride lots!

nonamed

by nonamed

I am also thinking about getting Inflite but as normal - I am between S and M (179cm height , inseam 85 cm , Torso: 63 cm , Arm length: 65 )

Going to use this bike mainly on a paved roads and some gravel paths on winter season.

BUT comparing to my current road bike my reach is 378mm+110 stem = 488 in total. Frame stack 570

according to Canyon Inflite geo chart -

Inflite has reach of 393mm (M) and 388 (S) frame . Stack on M size is pretty close to my current frame (572mm vs 570) BUT it has pretty long TT = 562(!)

If I get Inflite in M size with st. stem size of 90mm I will get total reach of 483.

You think I will be fine on M ? Looks like new Inflite in fact promo longer TT + shorter stem combo. i wonder how it will handle on road.

dontpanic

by dontpanic

Iam 184 cm and sitting on 79 cm saddle height, Iam looking att Inflite in size medium. I think it is a bit tricky with the integrated bar/stem from Canyon.

On my Ultimate CF SLX (Aero cockpit H11) the actual lenght is the same as my Ritchey 130mm stem + Ritchey classic bars that I rode earlier.
When I messaure the stem center/center it is more close to 125mm than 110mm.

Does anyone know if you can route a dropper-post wire internally on the Inflite 2018?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com