Cannondale SuperX 2017 headset

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

PedersenDK

by PedersenDK

Dear weeners,

After only a handfull of rides on my SuperX 2017 the lower bearing in my headset is frozen. When disassembled it showed that the bearing balls were rusted and I therefore assume that the standard bearing quality is poor. I would like to avoid replacing with another poor standard bearing as the original KP454 replacement headset. The bearing measures 39,7x50,8x7mm and has 45 degrees on the inner race.

Anyone has a solution for this?

(The bottom bracket was frozen too but is now replaced by a Token TF4630 which I have been very impressed by on both road bike and MTB)

Best
Supersix Evo '15
FSi '17
SuperX '17

jever98

by jever98

Hi there,

Did you find a good replacement bearing? I ran into the same issue with my headset.
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamchrisone

by iamchrisone

Hey you guys did you ever find a lower bearing replacement? I'm looking for one too.

jever98

by jever98

You can only get it from Cannondale
----
No longer in the industry

iamchrisone

by iamchrisone

Found it!

I emailed round a few Cannondale dealers and Cameron Smart from Cannondale Experts got back with a link to the correct lower headset bearing for Cannondale SuperX 2017 onwards is:

Cannondale Si to 1.5" Adapter Lower Mountain Headset Bearing
https://cannondaleexperts.com/collectio ... 5698683017

I'm in the UK so sourced one closer from Qwerty Cycles. Can't remember how I figured out that this was the same bearing but trut me, I fitted it yesterday and it;s the one:

Replacement Headset Bearing for KP205 and KP119 HDL008
https://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/hdl008

iamchrisone

by iamchrisone

Found it!

I emailed round a few Cannondale dealers and Cameron Smart from Cannondale Experts got back with a link to the correct lower headset bearing for Cannondale SuperX 2017 onwards is:

Cannondale Si to 1.5" Adapter Lower Mountain Headset Bearing
https://cannondaleexperts.com/collectio ... 5698683017

I'm in the UK so sourced one closer from Qwerty Cycles. Can't remember how I figured out that this was the same bearing but trut me, I fitted it yesterday and it;s the one:

Replacement Headset Bearing for KP205 and KP119 HDL008
https://qwertycycles.co.uk/products/hdl008

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

As a UK extra, the whole KP119 headset was available for not much more than a single bearing and comes with 2x 1.5" bearings that fit the lower SuperX.

NLC86

by NLC86

Hi, could you confirm me that lower bearing is pressed into headset? I have a Superx (2019 model) and to replace it (and reinstall) I had to use an extractor tool, while the upper bearing fits normally. Is this normal? Generally, on other bikes, the lower bearing seats on the crown race and you don't need to use any extractor at all...

iamchrisone

by iamchrisone

Sounds about right. I think i remember hitting mine out with a drift. Can;t remember too much abotu installing it again though. I'm thinking that it mustn't have been too traumatic or I'd remember.

This parts diagram seems to suggest it;s rpessed in the way you say.

https://www.cannondalespares.com/SuperX ... uperx-2017

sebejo

by sebejo

Does anybody know the dimensions of the upper headset bearing?

After some digging I have found these dimesnions but hopefully someone in the know can confirm it:

External: 41mm
Internal: 30.2mm
Height: 6.3
Angle: 45°/45°

Especially the external diameter which I'm not sure as I can find a few 41.8mm ones with 45°/45°angle but not with 41mm.
I know it is included in the Cannondale part KP454, but I need only the upper bearing and not the full assembly.

iamchrisone

by iamchrisone

Hi. Did you find a replacement upper bearing? Currently looking for one...

sebejo

by sebejo

iamchrisone wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:49 pm
ended up buying the complete Cannondale set. which I never had a chance to install as my bike got stolen. if you are in Europe we can make a deal..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamchrisone

by iamchrisone

sebejo wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:49 pm
iamchrisone wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:49 pm
ended up buying the complete Cannondale set. which I never had a chance to install as my bike got stolen. if you are in Europe we can make a deal..
Hi sebejo, I missed your post back in February. If you still have the full headset kit and want to sell it check your PMs.