Di2 - Ultegra 8000 vs DA 9000 for CX/gravel (hydro)

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rynogee

by rynogee

I'm starting on build options for CX for next season and wondering if anyone has been using any of the newest Di2 hydraulic components for cross this season, and can report on any issues or reasons to go with dura ace over ulegra

Based on the research I've done to date it seems there are marginal weight savings on each component across the board (anything from 2g to 70g for crankset) , with most savings in the cassette. Some of the pirce differentials are really large (e.g. rear derailleur more than double for DA, but only 2g lighter?!). I'm mainly interested I think it differences between the di2 parts (shifters and derailleurs)

All the road test reports I've read seem to suggest you can barely tell the two group sets apart, but I reckon there must be more to it (but could be wrong) - perhaps in functionality and settings of shifters and derailleurs?). I don't want to buy 500-600 euro derailleurs or shifters for example and find they do something strange I'm not keen on (a la wired syncro settings you can't get rid of).

by Weenie

grover

by grover

I recall reading that the 8070 hydro/di2 levers were quite a bit larger in the hand than the 9170 levers. So ergonomics might be a reason to go DA with the shifters.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

The shape on ST-R9170 and ST-R8070 are the same
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

aaric

by aaric

Shifters are like 30g lighter each on dura ace. Either Shimano’s originally posted weights for ultegra shifters was low or dura ace was high. I can’t remember which. Either way, my pair was 319g without hoses/calipers, but with fluid. Derailleurs are supposed to be comparable shift performance. My recollection is the ultegra shifters don’t have the extra buttons on the hoods of the shifters to control bike computers.

I’ve yet to see real availability on the ultegra shifters and brakes though. I’m running 9170 on my bike currently: been waiting on availability of the 8070 pieces for the wife’s bike.

I’d really consider the ultegra derailleurs for cross: much cheaper to replace. I’ve not ridden the 8050 derailleurs but if they perform like ultegra usually does, there won’t be a noticeable difference.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

ST-R8050/70 do have extra buttons on top of the hoods.
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

rynogee

by rynogee

good info, thanks.

agree on the derailleurs

by Weenie