canti vs disc

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

euan

by euan

What isn't? Three Peaks? Or races that aren't around a leisure centre? How many World Cup courses are on pan flat fields?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

euan wrote:What isn't? Three Peaks? Or races that aren't around a leisure centre? How many World Cup courses are on pan flat fields?
I'd invite you to take a look at the course profiles and top speeds reached on CX world cup courses.

Again, I'm just struggling to understand how you'd burn through a set of organic pads in a race an hour long, with maybe 3min spent on the brakes, and relatively low top speeds.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Think the maximum variation in elevation on any of the top end races I've seen in the last ~15 years is about 50m. Probably less.

It's all about the short and steep.
Last edited by mattr on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

LeDuke wrote:Again, I'm just struggling to understand how you'd burn through a set of organic pads in a race an hour long, with maybe 3min spent on the brakes, and relatively low top speeds.
TBH, watching people take pads straight out of a sealed blister pack, then into the caliper 10 mins before a race on sand in the rain tells me all I need to know. Low speeds and minimal braking means the pads never get hot. They just get shredded.

Even for my MTB I don't have any "new" pads in my tool box. Every time I buy some, the new pads go straight into a bike for a few rides and a bit of vigorous bedding in. Then paired up and into my "pad box" for when I need them.

euan

by euan

See I'm not talking about World Cup level racing though. I'm talking about one bike privateers. Racing in a muddy wet race where mud is particularly gritty. With lots of climbing and lots of fast descending. These CX courses do exist, and I've seen guys go through a set of pads.

phm8147

by phm8147

I'll choose disc frame

Multebear

by Multebear

Those of you who mention guys going trough pads in an hour, are you talking about disc pads or canti pads?
Last edited by Multebear on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Multebear

by Multebear

Those of you who mention guys going trough pads in an hour, are you talking about disc pads or canti pads?

ms6073

by ms6073

Disc brake pads and mechanical calipers while riding primarily cyclocross or gravel with constant mud/slushy ice or snow.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Multebear

by Multebear

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:04 pm
Disc brake pads and mechanical calipers while riding primarily cyclocross or gravel with constant mud/slushy ice or snow.
Just to make sure, that I get what you're saying; in wet conditions, disc brake pads, will wear out very quickly?

I thought that canti pads would wear out quickly...

Timo

by Timo

For young Nys and his dad discussions about CX racing are all about tire pressure, tire profiles and where to attack, think I've ever seen him with cantis or even discuss the matter...

And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Multebear

by Multebear

Timo wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:19 pm

For young Nys and his dad discussions about CX racing are all about tire pressure, tire profiles and where to attack, think I've ever seen him with cantis or even discuss the matter...
Probably a weight issue, since he's still a youth rider with low body weight.

stormur

by stormur

I don't think it's about weight... he's riding mechanical Ultegra ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

euan

by euan

I'm just surprised he is running the Ultimates with a wide profile

Conza

by Conza

LeDuke wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:58 pm
Did someone mention brake fade, disc brakes and cyclocross in the same sentence?

That's absolutely laughable. Come on.
:o :lol:
It's all about the adventure :o .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com