ETAP 1x

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

stormur

by stormur

Miller wrote:Does anyone worry about putting a super-expensive rear mech on a gravel bike or is that just me?

Welcome to the club :mrgreen:

From my point of view it is sometimes reasonable to sacrifice some weight for durability and reliability.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

dalgas

by dalgas

Nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bream

by Bream

If/when I upgrade the CX bike from CX1 I'd be tempted to go eTap, seriously impressed with it since I fitted it to my road bike.

stormur

by stormur

don't fit to CX bike anything you can't easy ( for the wallet ) replace. If €/£/$ is not a problem... why not ? Nturally if you won't ride it in cold environment. By cold I mean COLD. It can and will drain any battery faster than you expect.
Mark Twain

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I agree with you Stormur, i have noted a really big difference in battery drainage.
However, (6870) Di2 is a blast over mechanical.

I wouldn't use Etap for gravel. I am a bit sceptical on that battery on the RD in case of a crash.
Weather here, snow, ice then rain and again cold, more ice aso..
A crash (or a few) is imminent,... sadly
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

stormur

by stormur

Di2 is or is not " a blast". It depends from your gloves thickness ;) I found 6870 buttons to small for me, so regardless shifting ( which wasn't better or worse than my anything mechanical, was just ... slower ) operating issue make me change it. New Di2 has bigger buttons ( wasn't my issue isolated ? ) so maybe some day....
If I have to go electronic and cold weather, then would like to have 1 big battery instead of few small ones. Just physics.

Installing few hunderd € component (for cross) which is most prone to damage in case of crash... No.
Mark Twain

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would be amazed if you damaged a Di2 so easily.
I have in a few crashes ended up with bruises at the shifters. I used Sugru and made a bumper on my RD which works great.
No problems what so ever with my Di2. I heard a few guys managed to crack exploro ltd frame.
I had a tire deflate in a few seconds in a turn from tarmac to gravel. Did a serious flip and smashed myself and the bike pretty hard.
Nothing got damaged except cosmetics (looks like i've been using a file) on the shifters.
It's a freaking tank, the Open UP.
Back to Di2, if anyone says Di2 or a carbon frame doesn't stand a beating, It's not my experience
Sure a frame can crack, but that's most likely a thin wall and/ or a frame with stiffer/ brittle carbon.
I have one of those to...
Needles to say, if my Ax had seen a fraction of what my UP been through, i've had the worlds most expensive puzzle.

Sure, batteries can drain, but that is another thing.
Shimanos new battery (shimano bt-dn110) is better than the sm-br2. I had two of these failing.
The new, no problems what so ever.
Only thing that cracked was a helmet and a jacket got torned up.
Oh, and me :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

md255

by md255

I was hoping that this thread was going to feature an update on if/when SRAM was going to introduce an ETAP clutch rear derailleur. Anyone have any intel on this? I would pay big shekels for that.

cassard

by cassard

Hi guys !

I'm just contributing to the thread, since it rare to see this kind of build. I'm building a Stinner Gibraltar-D in 1x11 etap. I'll receive the components next week.

It won't be for cyclocross, but mostly for a mix of road/gravel 60/40.

As for now I'll use a 50T chainring with the wifli eTAP and I'll try to fit the new ultegra 11-34 cassette. Since the eTAP take up to 32t, I think I could squeeze the 34t. worst case scenario, I'll use the wolftooth extender.

Quick question for 1x11 eTap users. Chain drop, is it really an issue ? my cassette ratios aren't bigger than 3 teeth and I won't be doing mountain biking with it, but I'm still worried. Also, if I make the chain length the shortest possible (but to keep good shifting) can it help prevent chain dropping ?

I'll keep you updated !

cerro

by cerro

You don't have to worry with such a small cassette. I dropped my chain twice with 10-42 cassette and wolf tooth roadlink but that's when I've been on the 12-10 teeths so pretty slack chain.

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

cerro wrote:Image

Works for me too ;) Wolf Tooth Roadlink and Wifli derailleur.
That’s a great setup! Wolftooth say their roadlink is not compatible with a 42 end cassette. What are your experiences? Works well? Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it!

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

eliflap-scalpel wrote:not finished yet, waiting for Lefty

http://eliflap.it/2017/10/12/graveliflap-17/

little video with my way of feeling the ETAP disc

LTK 027 disc frame, 2013 cheaper chinese cyclocross frame
Hell yeah! Great build, how’s the experience?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

cassard wrote:Hi guys !

I'm just contributing to the thread, since it rare to see this kind of build. I'm building a Stinner Gibraltar-D in 1x11 etap. I'll receive the components next week.

It won't be for cyclocross, but mostly for a mix of road/gravel 60/40.

As for now I'll use a 50T chainring with the wifli eTAP and I'll try to fit the new ultegra 11-34 cassette. Since the eTAP take up to 32t, I think I could squeeze the 34t. worst case scenario, I'll use the wolftooth extender.

Quick question for 1x11 eTap users. Chain drop, is it really an issue ? my cassette ratios aren't bigger than 3 teeth and I won't be doing mountain biking with it, but I'm still worried. Also, if I make the chain length the shortest possible (but to keep good shifting) can it help prevent chain dropping ?

I'll keep you updated !
Care to share your experiences with us? Cheers!

cerro

by cerro

steelisreal79: Works well for me but not the best shifts on the small rings. Happy I had the 42t on Dalsland runt last weekend :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jowwy

by Jowwy

steelisreal79 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:29 pm
cerro wrote:Image

Works for me too ;) Wolf Tooth Roadlink and Wifli derailleur.
That’s a great setup! Wolftooth say their roadlink is not compatible with a 42 end cassette. What are your experiences? Works well? Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it!
I'm also using a woolftooth and a 42t cassette with no issues...........