High Trail Numbers on Size Small OPEN Up (Is 77mm too much trail?)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

Does anyone have a small Open UP that they could share their feedback on how it handles? The trail numbers calc out to be 77mm, which sounds really high.

Any thoughts or feedback?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I just checked, the 3T Exploro has the same front end (angle & rake) in S so will have the same trail (74mm for 622x40).

The are speccing the same forks on all sizes which is more economic but results in either toe overlap or high trail, unless you do a long front end / short stem setup like Meride with their new Silex, which is an interesting bike.

I wonder how the steering feels - personally I prefer the feel of longer stems so I design my frames with slightly shorter reach, but then I don't mind overlap and I rarely get any at my size anyway, except when running fenders.

Silex:

morganb

by morganb

Marin wrote:I just checked, the 3T Exploro has the same front end (angle & rake) in S so will have the same trail (74mm for 622x40).

The are speccing the same forks on all sizes which is more economic but results in either toe overlap or high trail, unless you do a long front end / short stem setup like Meride with their new Silex, which is an interesting bike.

I wonder how the steering feels - personally I prefer the feel of longer stems so I design my frames with slightly shorter reach, but then I don't mind overlap and I rarely get any at my size anyway, except when running fenders.

Silex:

This is super interesting to me. Its pretty similar to what Canyon is doing with the new Inflite. I've always thought the shorter top tubes on cross bikes don't make a lot of sense, since you generally want to run a shorter stem on them to compared to a road quicken up the steering. Also when you start to slacken out the HA the steering starts to get weird with long stems. I'm leaning towards similar, but lower geometry on a custom bike I am having built.