9120 Dura Ace Hydro shifters arrived! - Somewhat disappoint - *weighed/compared*

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Factory

by Factory

Starbike seems to be the First/Only vendor that has these in stock at the moment. Thanks Starbike!

264 + 268 = 532g – Listed weights in press materials are 505 total. These are 27g over listed weights.

For comparison, BR-685 actual weights are:
Right lever assy - 325g
Left lever addy - 323g
For a total of 648g.

What’s more they are HUGE. Literally the same size as my janky RS-685 shifters. Same exact size.

So, I paid $650 bucks to save 116g, with no improvements in ergonomics. Hopefully they shift better…

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Nice comparsion. Didn't think would be so big. Got a pair at work last week but missed have a look at them when I was there.

boots2000

by boots2000

Are you also using the new brake calipers? Or 685 calipers?

Factory

by Factory

S785 calipers. Post mount frame.

madik

by madik

Its quite a dissapointment that Shimano changed the shifters to worse that what was presented at the announcement 15 months ago! Looks like they took the RS-685 concept and just redesigned it with lighter materials but the sizes remained the same. Probably just the body is now from some composite rather than alluminium which saved those grams..

Wonderting what are gonna be the real weights of ST-R8020 Ultegra shifter. Expecting like 20g off the ST-RS685 :))
Functionality > Performance > Weight

morganb

by morganb

How do they feel in the hands compared to a standard rim brake lever either R9100 or 9000? I am still considering them for my build even though the weight isn't as light as expected as long as they feel decent in the hand.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

morganb wrote:How do they feel in the hands compared to a standard rim brake lever either R9100 or 9000? I am still considering them for my build even though the weight isn't as light as expected as long as they feel decent in the hand.

I haven't put big miles on Shimano hydros, but my experience mirrors what many of the pro reviews have said. Namely, that with Shimano hydro levers, while they may be somewhat ungainly in appearance, the extra material is forward and above the typical hand perch, so the feel in the hand is actually very similar to rim braked models...as long as you don't look down.

P.S. I know some people who like to ride with the palm of their hands atop the mound of the hoods, in a sphinx position, when trying to get aero. I have heard a few argue that the bigger extension of the hydros actually offers more hand positioning options, although the utility of that would also depend on how great a reach you already have to the bars. If you are maxed out, then the additional extension may not be as usable.

Factory

by Factory

morganb wrote:How do they feel in the hands compared to a standard rim brake lever either R9100 or 9000? I am still considering them for my build even though the weight isn't as light as expected as long as they feel decent in the hand.

Theyre not too bad. Theyre narrower at the pinch point of the hood where you grip with thumb and fore finger than the 685s and not too terribly far off the 9100s. I cqn measure with calipers if you need me to.
Shifting quality is definitely excellent. And they improved the reach adjustment mechanism. Less digital. Easier to access.

Factory

by Factory

madik wrote:Its quite a dissapointment that Shimano changed the shifters to worse that what was presented at the announcement 15 months ago! Looks like they took the RS-685 concept and just redesigned it with lighter materials but the sizes remained the same. Probably just the body is now from some composite rather than alluminium which saved those grams..

Wonderting what are gonna be the real weights of ST-R8020 Ultegra shifter. Expecting like 20g off the ST-RS685 :))

9120 is composite body yes.

L3X

by L3X

Weren't all 91xx shifters supposed to be roughly the same size? Are the 9170s equally big as these?

Factory

by Factory

L3X wrote:Weren't all 91xx shifters supposed to be roughly the same size? Are the 9170s equally big as these?

9170 bodies are tiny compared to 9120. 9170 DO virtually look like 9100.

dogrange

by dogrange

Thanks for the real world comparison. Can't believe these are so big. Guess I'll keep looking for suitable replacement for the 685 system on my rando bike.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

R2-bikes has ST-R8020 real weights available553g for a pair, merely 30g more than ST-R9120 for a 160EUR less.

shotgun

by shotgun

TheKaiser wrote:
P.S. I know some people who like to ride with the palm of their hands atop the mound of the hoods, in a sphinx position, when trying to get aero. I have heard a few argue that the bigger extension of the hydros actually offers more hand positioning options, although the utility of that would also depend on how great a reach you already have to the bars. If you are maxed out, then the additional extension may not be as usable.

I've got 685s. Agreed that they don't look the best, but as mentioned above it makes the "sphinx" position much easier to do and maintain.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

simoncx

by simoncx

At first I really didn't like how shimano or sram hydro levers looked but having both I really like the shape especially for cross. The new 9170 look like regular levers it's hard to tell there hydro.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com