Cannondale SuperX power meter, spider, and chainring options

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

mr2scott

by mr2scott

I swear I went to put my wifes superx chainring on her slate and it was not even close to fitting correctly. I could fit my hand behind the chainring.

119 spindle on superx is becuase the BB is 83mm wide not 73mm.

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

This is a little off topic but I think that the Topstone Carbon uses the same bb30ai-83 as the SuperX. If I was going to fit a hollowgram sisl2 what size spindle do I need to find? 128mm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

menkar

by menkar

Relientk1202 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:41 pm
This is a little off topic but I think that the Topstone Carbon uses the same bb30ai-83 as the SuperX. If I was going to fit a hollowgram sisl2 what size spindle do I need to find? 128mm?
A 2X SuperX uses a 125 mm spindle and the spacers described here:
https://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Canno ... _6092.html

grover

by grover

119mm for 1x, 125mm for 2x with hollowgram cranks in the 83mm Ai bb shell

jever98

by jever98

grover wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 am
Hoven, use the 125mm spindle. Chainline will be fine.

Your P2M spider is designed around a 109mm spindle and 130mm rear dropouts for a chainline of 43.5mm.

The SuperX uses a 55mm chainline (to the big ring, not the middle of a double ring)

So with 125mm spindle your chainline is 51.5mm + half the spacing between a big and little chainring which will be very close to 55mm.

If it ends up too wide then use a SRAM CX1 chainring. The teeth are offset over the middle of the spider which will narrow the chainline compared to any aftermarket Narrow-Wide chainring (WolfTooth, Raceface, Garbaruk, OneUp, etc etc)
Hi Grover,

coming back to your tip of using the CX1 chainring for its offset: I have been running a p2m on my superx with a FSA Megatooth 44T for gravel. I got the chain ring with the p2m, so didn't really look at it in detail: the chainline was fine.

For CX, I went back to a 40T and got a RaceFace chainring (no offset), and the chainline isn't great.

The question I'm pondering: if I get a FSA Megatooth 40T, will it have the same offset as the 44T (which worked fine), or should I go with a SRAM CX1? I can't find documentation on the offsets.

Thanks for tips.
----
No longer in the industry

ceilersen

by ceilersen

Reviving this thread - since I am also looking to add a power meter to my 2018 Superx di2 - and having trouble finding an definitive answer on what fits and what doesn't..

I have good experience with Quarq on my roadbike and mtb and would like to fit a Quarq to the SuperX aswell.

So far I have 2 possible options:

Option 1: DUB 83 Force crankset with add-on DUB Dzero Spider
Have been in contact with Quarg product support, who has been very helpful in trying to solve the "problem" with Cannondales AI-standard :)

Quarq suggest that I buy this combination:

SRAM Force Crankset 12-speed - DUB 83 für Cannondale Ai
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=348180

Quarq AXS DZero DUB Power Meter Spider
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=344225

(Adding a DUB Bottom bracket to the Superx + a suitable 110bcd N/W chainring.)

This setup is fitted to some of the 2019 bikes in a 2x12 setup, but I am unsure whether the chainline will be reasonable when using it in a 1x setup mounted on the big ring position.

Option 2: "Standard" Dzero BB386 crankset
In this article it looks like 2 pro riders are using a standard BB386 dzero.
https://www.cxmagazine.com/gravel-bike- ... h-ted-king

Anyone had any experience with either of these setups?

/Christian

RyanH

by RyanH

I would go with the BB386 since you'll have the most flexibility on placement of the spider by using spacers. 1x chainrings come in various offsets so you should be able to get the correct chain line.

ceilersen

by ceilersen

ran this by the Quarq product team - they tell me that the bb386 evo probably will fit, but I risk having problems with chainline and asymmetry of the crank arms in the frame. I will probably try out the ASX /DUB route,

ceilersen

by ceilersen

Ran this by the Quarq product team - they think the bb386 evo probably will fit, but I risk having problems with chainline and asymmetry of the crank arms in the frame. I will probably try out the ASX /DUB route,

JasperTT

by JasperTT

I have been after a pm for my Super x for a while and recently found that 4iiii have also decreased their prices following the Stages price drop. A factory fit on a Hollowgram SI is $299 which worked out at £256 for me in the UK. That was p&p and duty included, turn around time was 9 days. I have 4iiii's on my other bikes so was happy with their performance. I did an 80 mile gravel ride in crappy conditions last week and the new 4iiii's performed as expected.

Pottermouse

by Pottermouse

I have a Stages on my SuperX... got a good deal before the price drop in the UK. I noticed that US prices are down to $350 or so, but European prices much higher. Not ideal for me to have single sided in a crank, but did not want to sacrifice the Spiderings etc. by going to Power2Max or similar. Just vanity!

nisse01

by nisse01

Anyone know if the Power2Max Hollowgram spider and the FSA Powerbox/P2M spider is the same thing? By looking at the spider interface of Hollowgram and FSA they look very similar, and this Bikerumor article implies so also https://bikerumor.com/2016/03/05/tpe16- ... -and-road/ Or does the FSA Powerbox have some proprietary interface?

There is some good deals on FSA Powerbox so I figure buying one of those and mount on my Hollowgram cranks if it works. I have not found any useful info when searching.

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

jever98

by jever98

They are not, unfortunately.
----
No longer in the industry

nisse01

by nisse01

I see, kind of guessed that. Otherwise I would have found someone trying I suppose. Thanks!

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

akdmx

by akdmx

Edit: nevermind

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com