Cannondale SuperX power meter, spider, and chainring options

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

grover

by grover

The quoted text you replied to states that you can install both 30mm spindle and GXP spindle SRAM cranks into the new SuperX. They are both just a standard road crank q-factor.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

It can be done with a power meter!
Look at this video:

https://youtu.be/gCCaTU5ldpo

Almost my dream setup. Only a lefty up front is missing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njyeti

by njyeti

I ran my SuperX with the Pioneer single leg power meter last fall. No issues with clearance - even with muddy courses.

Thedaniel

by Thedaniel

Cattiy wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:04 pm
I want to come back to this and need some clarification.
grover wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:35 am
For what it's worth, I just use a stock Quarq BB30 110BCD crankset with SRAM CX1 chainring.

Remove the 5mm spacer and threaded preload ring from the non-drive side of the spindle. Install a 2.5mm spacer and a wavy washer. Slide through bottom bracket/frame. Install stock 13.5mm spacer on driveside and driveside arm as you would any other frame. By using the stock driveside spacer you end up with the 5mm wider Ai chainline simple because the bottom bracket shell is wider.

Yes the crankset is not centred in the frame and the non-driveside crankarm is very close to the chainstays. But it works. I don't notice it when riding. If you wanted to be particular you could put your cleats to the outside on one shoe and the inside on the other shoe. Or use pedals with adjustable spindle lengths such as speedplay.

If you wanted to get it centred you could buy a longer BB30 spindle from Cannondale/RaceFace/Stages (SRAM don't sell them) and install. You'd need 128mm spindle to get it perfect (stock spindle in SRAM road crank is 118mm). Yes the non-driveside bolt says do not disassemble, but that's never stopped anyone. Just put the stock spindle back in before you ever send it off for warranty :D

You can also install a stock SRAM GXP crankset using the Wheels Manufacturing Universal BB30/PF30 to GXP adaptor (not the BB30A specific one - it's designed for BB30A73 on road bikes not BB30A83 on CX/MTB). You can probably also install a normal SHimano road crankset with the Wheels Manf Universal BB30/PF30 to Shimano adaptor but I've not tried it. Again, the cranksets will not be centred in the frame.
As I understand it, every way I end up with a wider q-factor than standard road cranks? The 155 mm q- factor of the the new SuperX is a deal breaker for me!
I need the lowest q-factor possible.
Any particular reason why you need the lowest Q factor possible? I’m running a sram red crankset on my super x with a race face 134mm spindle installed in it, and while yes it does widen the Q factor quite a bit it’s hardly noticeable..and my cleats are not positioned to the inside on my shoe

jever98

by jever98

Hi,

did I read it right that if I want to use a p2m with the Cannondale Hollowgram SI crankset, 1x40T at the front, that I need to buy the longer spindle (125mm)? In the photos where rings were touching it looked like it was a 2x setup.
----
No longer in the industry

Hoven

by Hoven

It's not the chainrings that touches the frame its the powermeter itself that is very close to the frame. But talked to a guy last weekend when racing and he had the NGeco mounted on the superx with original spindle it was still close but not that close as the typeS.

jever98

by jever98

Thanks Hoven, that's very useful.

Out of curiosity - if you use an NG Eco: do you put the chain ring on the outer side (big chain ring position) or on the inner? Which chain rings would one use in this case?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a 1x newbie.
----

britter440

by britter440

How about a powertap hub laced into the rear wheel?

otoman

by otoman

Here’s my set up:
Stock SI crank
40t Wolf tooth mounted on the outside of a P2M NG

Here’s the gap between the P2M and chainstay

Here’s the NDS crank FWIW:

Everything turns nicely and I have ridden it in some crap conditions
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

jever98

by jever98

Great! Original length axle?

How does the chain line compare to the original?
----

otoman

by otoman

Yep original axel length

Sorry maybe not best photo but end of tape measure was on single ring center. Seems to be at 55 mm to seat tube bottle bosses
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

RyanH

by RyanH

Since this is the first thread that came up when I searched for this, I'm going to revive it.

SRM on 119mm spindle doesn't work, it touches the shell.

Quarq Dzero with 2mm spacer NDS works with good spider clearance and maintains road Q factor.

jever98

by jever98

Power2max ng eco works fine with the original axle and 1x. It maintained the same chain line as ther spiderring.
----

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, the only problem with that (depending on rider) is that the standard axle is +10mm greater q factor than road cranks. For some that's meaningful, for others they won't notice it. I injured my ITB by going too narrow so I'm hesitant to make a change with anything concerning Q factor and deviate from what has kept me injury free since then.

jever98

by jever98

Ah ok - I was worried about clearance of the PM with the DS chain stay. That aspect is OK.
----

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com