Cannondale SuperX power meter, spider, and chainring options

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

akdmx

by akdmx

ceilersen wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Option 2: "Standard" Dzero BB386 crankset
In this article it looks like 2 pro riders are using a standard BB386 dzero.
https://www.cxmagazine.com/gravel-bike- ... h-ted-king

Anyone had any experience with either of these setups?

/Christian
How did you gather that these are the 386 cranks?

NLC86

by NLC86

Hello, do you know which bottom bracket should I buy to mount a 1x Quarq AXS DUB Powermeter on my SuperX (model 2019)?

Basically, I would like to replicate this: https://www.cxmagazine.com/cyclocross-b ... -rochester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

So is the BB30-83Ai symmetrical? It seems plausable if they just took a road chainline and pushed it out a 6-7mm. I would think you could then just add another 7mm to each side of a normal 68mm BB30 to arrive at 83mm?

grover

by grover

Yes the 83mm shell is symmetrical. So the chainline is pushed out a similar amount to the extra width of the BB shell. So the spacers used on the driveside to get the right chainline will be the same as a road bike with 68mm shell width. You just need the spindle to be 15mm (83-68) longer so that the non-drive crank has the same q-factor as the drive side crank.

rothwem

by rothwem

Awesome, thanks for the info. I also didn't realize that is was a 46mm ID BB instead of a 42mm. Makes things a bit easier to install, IMO.

sebejo

by sebejo

I'm still confused a bit with my options for the 83mm Ai after reading through this thread so hopefully someone more experienced can help.

I basically want to replace the Hollowgram Crankset to the current SRAM RED DUB cranks (8 bolt interface). So no power meter needed just a simple 1x crank swap as I have different plans for the Hollowgram on a gravel build.

for the Superx:
  • can I use the spindle of my 1x Hollowgram crank for the Sram RED DUB crankarms?
  • if yes then basically no additional spacers are needed right? just swap the crankarms. or am I missing here something?
for the gravel build (slightly off topic but maybe I get lucky):
  • can I use the Hollowgram cranks with a T47 bottom bracket? if yes which BB and spindle do I need?

jever98

by jever98

Re using Hollowgram spindle with Red arms: 99% no. Afaik the Sram cranks are bonded to the spindle on one side. Even if not it's extremely unlikely that they have the same spindle to crank arm interface as Cannondale.

Re using Hollowgram on t47: depends on the width. If it's a 68mm t47, then I'd say yes, just need to add 15mm spacers to get to the 83mm of the cannondale ai BB. If it's 86mm wide then your spindle should be 3mm too short. Maybe you could fiddle something, not sure if it would work.
----
No longer in the industry

sebejo

by sebejo

jever98 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 pm
Re using Hollowgram spindle with Red arms: 99% no. Afaik the Sram cranks are bonded to the spindle on one side. Even if not it's extremely unlikely that they have the same spindle to crank arm interface as Cannondale.

Re using Hollowgram on t47: depends on the width. If it's a 68mm t47, then I'd say yes, just need to add 15mm spacers to get to the 83mm of the cannondale ai BB. If it's 86mm wide then your spindle should be 3mm too short. Maybe you could fiddle something, not sure if it would work.
then I'm wondering how this setup was made possible:
https://www.cxmagazine.com/cyclocross- ... -rochester

jever98

by jever98

Looks like a SRAM crank. I guess you need a DUB bottom bracket and then install the crank in it, add spacers as needed.

Or just get a power2max and add it to your Hollowgram.
----

sebejo

by sebejo

ok, so basically I'm just overcomplicating and a regular SRAM Red DUB crankset with it's standard spindle can be installed using the appropiate DUB Bottom Bracket and spacers

jever98

by jever98

as far as I understand, yes. The Dub should fit BB86 or BB386, which are 3mm wider than the SuperX BB. So you should be able to get it fitted.
----

grover

by grover

There is an Ai specific Force AXS crankset. It has a longer spindle.
There is not an Ai specific Red AXS crankset.

So to install a Red AXS crankset in a SuperX you need one of two compromises.
1. The chainline is too narrow but cranks are centred in the frame.
2. The chainline is correct but cranks are offset towards the driveside. That is, the non-driveside crank will be 5mm closer to the midline of the bike and the driveside crank will be 5mm further away from the midline of the bike.

I'd suggest you just use the Force Ai AXS crankset with the PF30-83A DUB bottom bracket.

If you must use the Red AXS crankset there is no plug and play option. Your options are
1. Use a PFRight DUB bottom bracket and remove 4mm of spacers from the non-driveside. Result is correct chainline but offset crankarms.
2. Use a PF386 DUB bottom bracket and add 3mm of spacers. You could add to either side, and/or redistribute existing spacers, to fine tune a balance between chainline and crankarm offset.

The PF30-83A DUB bottom bracket won't work with the Red AXS crankset because the spindle isn't long enough.

NOTE: The spindle is attached to the non-driveside arm. So it is possible to replace the driveside arm with a Red AXS arm. It is quite possible that Curtis' setup uses a Force AXS Ai non-driveside arm and spindle but SRAM put Red graphics on it.

NLC86

by NLC86

Do you know if the Hollowgram crankset (with OPI SpideRing 40T) mounted on the SuperX Force 1 (mechanical) works with a SRAM Eagle AXS derailleur and a Eagle chain?

sebejo

by sebejo

NLC86 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 am
Do you know if the Hollowgram crankset (with OPI SpideRing 40T) mounted on the SuperX Force 1 (mechanical) works with a SRAM Eagle AXS derailleur and a Eagle chain?
I'm running this setup - it does work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NLC86

by NLC86

sebejo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 am
NLC86 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 am
I'm running this setup - it does work.
Which cassette? How did you size the chain? The B-Gap? So far I did not reach an optimal shifting perfomance (GX 11-50 Cassette, Eagle XX1 AXS, GX Chain and of course Hollowgram Si with OPI SpideRing 40T).......