Thoughts on CX build

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

So I'm FINALLY going to build my 2016 Stevens Super Prestige disc.... kind of torn between the build though (this is for racing application)

The following are the options...

1) Sram Force 1
2) Ultegra 6870 Di2
3) Sram Etap
4) Pull my Dura Ace 9070 off my Tarmac and move it over to the Stevens, and upgrade the Tarmac to 9150

Yes its a wide range of options.... my worry with keeping the "old" Shimano stuff on the CX bike is going to be product availability down the road..
I was also looking at the new Ultegra di2 option but haven't really seen anything out there yet... by the time it comes out it seems season will almost be done...

justaute

by justaute

Depends. I'm usually a Shimano guy, especially Di2. That said, I think there are a few questions to be answered first

Is this a strictly UCI-based cx race bike? Will you be using it for other types of ride? Terrain type?

1. Force 1: 1x11, clutch
2. No clutch. May need to use a chain-guide, if 1x11. Obviously finer gearing selection, but may be cumbersome.
3. Etap: Very nice, but still no clutch. Clean install. If you want to use wider, non-UCI tires in a 2x11 setting, the front derailleur may get in the way for clearance.
4. See #2.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Hi there,
Yes, strictly race / training for cross on... maybe a "few" gravel road rides. but in general Im a road guy so when I say "few" I literally mean 1 or 2...

The terrain type around here is mostly flat.. no excessive climbs... most of the courses here run near rivers so if it rains, that thick gummmy muck is what we get..

Courses here are well.. I'll refer to them as obstacle courses more than anything...

justaute wrote:Depends. I'm usually a Shimano guy, especially Di2. That said, I think there are a few questions to be answered first

Is this a strictly UCI-based cx race bike? Will you be using it for other types of ride? Terrain type?

1. Force 1: 1x11, clutch
2. No clutch. May need to use a chain-guide, if 1x11. Obviously finer gearing selection, but may be cumbersome.
3. Etap: Very nice, but still no clutch. Clean install. If you want to use wider, non-UCI tires in a 2x11 setting, the front derailleur may get in the way for clearance.
4. See #2.

justaute

by justaute

How about option #4b? :)

4b. Assuming you want 1x11 -- move 9070 to Stevens and buy just an XTR rear derailleur so you can run Shimano 1x11. This way, you can have both 1x11 and 2x11 options for that bike. Other than the rear derailleur, everything else is transferrable and can be shared.

joshpeck

by joshpeck

Sram 1x is the truth.

How muddy are you races? Is your frame internally cabled? if not the electronic shifting is probably worth it.

stormur

by stormur

your truth ? :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

ooo

by ooo

if you want 11-36 cassette -> 1)
if you want 11-32 cassette -> 2) or 3)
if you want 11-28 cassette -> 3) or 4)
if you want 11-40 cassette -> xt/xtr di2

Use the same number of front chainrings as most other participants in your races use
(american riders way: they use 1x at home and 2x in Europe)
'

simoncx

by simoncx

If it's disc go hydro brakes, the 9070 or 9150 are going to be cable pull. Another option is you could get last years 785 levers are run 2x dura ace derailleurs or 1x with a xtr. Personally I like the bigger lever for cross at first I hated the look but after riding it I prefer it. Sram hydro is also nice, after riding both shimano and sram hydro I really can't say anything bad about either both work very good.

moyboy

by moyboy

Sram 1x is what i would build. Have it on my UP with a 10 - 42 on the rear with 42 front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com