The new 2018 Kona Major Jake

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

Great video. Fun to see Kerry Werner do his thing on it in their promo video.

https://vimeo.com/225891948

A lot of great info on the frame here: https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/08/08/ko ... uper-jake/

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ms6073

by ms6073

Have to wonder if Ryan Trebon had some input on this latest iteration, as given the reach numbers, the frame looks to be long and tall.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

I think what is happening is that the trend in MTB geometry is slowly creeping into CX geometry, or at least the North American brands.

That said Focus were the first who seemed to be going in that direction. But Whyte were the first one I remember doing it, and adding in dropper post routing

rothwem

by rothwem

euan wrote:I think what is happening is that the trend in MTB geometry is slowly creeping into CX geometry, or at least the North American brands.

Yea, and I'm not really that wild about it. I obviously haven't ridden the new Major Jake, but I hate having a super long front-center on a bike that I will draft on or ride in a pack--the front wheel feels WAAAY out there, and I don't feel like I can "protect my wheel" as easily as something with a shorter front center. On a shorter front-center bike, you can more easily smack the hip of a rider that's drifting over across your wheel with your hand.

Its probably easier to shred gnar though, and technical terrain is probably more easily cleared. But the cross courses I've done don't have much gnar.