Tubeless options for CX racing

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bikeguy0

by bikeguy0

I'm looking at the Ritchey versions of tubeless CX tires. The Megabite 38c and the Shield 35c for dryer/faster courses.

At 175 lbs I run around 30R, 28F and go up/down from there depending on how rocky or bumpy the course is. The larger volume tires are FAR more appropriate for most racers as the 33c width is only a requirement in UCI races (I race in the US) and 99% of racers in the US at least, don't race UCI races.

I'm at 170 lbs now and really looking at just transitioning to tubeless for all my races. I've raced tubulars for a number of years and while they are good tires they are all 33c width. At my weight it is beneficial to run a larger volume tire, if I break a spoke or a nipple I don't have to pull the tire to fix it, the tires are MUCH cheaper and easier to repair if you flat, and you can have one wheelset and change tires for different courses. The weight is actually the same if you go with a light tubeless race wheelset and you can run a 35 or 38c tire for about the same weight as a 33c tubular tire.

I've had a broken spoke or nipple every year and it turns into a rush during the week to get the tire off enough to fish out the nipple, replace it, re-true the wheel, and then re-glue that section of tire before the next weekend of racing....... and if you can't do all of this yourself you have to hope you can find a shop that will do it before your next race or you're screwed.

I race them hard and am a Cat 3 CX racer in Colorado (which is very competitve) and I've not burped a tire running 30psi on the rear. HOpe that helps.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Im in the same boat as Bikeguy0, except i race in NC. Going tubeles this year year with my new bike, however using Donnelly MXP's for cross and still deciding on wider set for gravel/race spares. Havent heard any bad things about tubeless the last few years. I ran my MXP tubs the last 3 seasons at 25-28 psi and don't see there being an issue bumping that up to just under 30psi.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DOUG

by DOUG

I really like the WTB Cross Boss. Rolls very nicely and has excellent grip in corners. I normally run around 30psi and havent burped a tire yet but you do need to be careful with rim strikes at lower pressures. Thats not specific to tubeless obviosuly but as you can run lower pressures without risking a pinch flat its something to keep in mind.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm in much the same boat. I stripped my old tubulars down and moved the hubs to a set of new alloy rims (and then like a glutton for punishment, laced up the tubulars, again, but to a set of cheaper hubs). I plan on running Clement PDX's this season, and once they wear out, I'll probably switch to MXP's, like I have on my tubulars. I do like the fact that the PDX's open up to almost 38mm on my new rims, although they're advertised as only 33c. Given my size (100kg), it's nice to have that extra width.

commendatore

by commendatore

What rim is that?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm using H Plus Son "The Hydra" rims, laced to White Industries CLD hubs.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

The new Vittoria Terreno line looks good so far. I only tried one of their models and they look like they can take low pressure. I have a Bontrager setup tubeless to compare and my feeling is the Vittoria is a tighter fit to go lower.

Has anyone tried the Clement/Donelly ?

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Raced the Terreno MIX in back to back muddy (and rocks, roots) affair. I would have used the WET if I had them in stock but the MIX did well. I couldn't let the pressure down because of the hidden rocks but they managed a few rim strikes. Traction was good for those little knobs and higher pressure. I've trained on them at low 20's and they didn't have much problem, so far.

Now, I need to shop for some WET. Vittoria stuff looks tough, good tubeless, good rolling, grip but heavier.

sqber

by sqber

The topic states RACING, so it is quite odd to find suggestions for larger tires than 33mm. I presume that racing means tires up to 33mm (although not UCI races, even our local races demand to follow the 33mm rule).

My plan is to use Schwalbe X-One Allround (TLE) at the back and X-One bit at the front (both 700x33C). Currently waiting for my tubeless racing wheels to arrive ...

Packs

by Packs

Challenge have now got some tubeless versions of their cross tyres:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/07/24/eb18-c ... ss-racing/

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I was wondering why challenge was not into the tubeless game more. Very cool to see; Limus could be a great mud tubeless option ! Grifo as well (but so far my Vittoria MIX is doing fine).

Schwalbe X-One looks like a good all rounder as well that could handle slicker stuff.

Practiced on wet grass last night with the Terreno 22-24psi and it was smooth. Will try even lower see how it feels.

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

Terreno dry on my bontragers set up beautifully. Was riding down to 20psi on grass and its fine if dry, sketch when wet
PDX tubeless was an incredible PITA to setup however, but made the switch due to need for tread.
Man those were a pain to set up. Never wanna do that again.

LouisN

by LouisN

wheelzqc wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:57 pm
I was wondering why challenge was not into the tubeless game more. Very cool to see; Limus could be a great mud tubeless option !
I bought many high pressure "open tubular", and tubular Challenge tires, both road, and track. All of them had the same characteristics.
Supple, nice "feel". But the casing is not resistant. All of them had failures from torn casing material, leading to flats.
My track pair ( Challenge Pista) comes off the rim at 120 PSI.
I think Challenge is mostly known for their CX tubs, they can be ran a lower pressures. I have a pair of the Grifo. They're ok but not great in wet conditions ( I'm a newby at CX and a lousy bike handler though). I bought the Limus and will definitely try them this fall.
In Eastern Canada CX races, lots of racers use Clement PDX, or Challenge Limus.

Louis :)

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Interessant Louis ! one thing I don't like to do is mess with success and Vittoria G+ has been excellent on the durabiliy an tubeless front on my mountain bike .

I've always ran PDX in a clincher and tubular format. Hard to beat that grip on grass !

one thing I noticed with the Terreno MIX is how the side knobs seem much higher on the tire than other brands. Still not sure if I like that or not grip wise. Riding on a 20mm inner rim (Iron crosS). Anyone noticed ?

Packs

by Packs

I've just got the Strada Bianca TLR 36mm in Black/Brown. Appears they're a WTB casing with Challenge tred. Not sure if that's the same for the cross models (Grifo/Limus) but expect it would be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com