Lightest 700c ~40mm Tubeless Gravel Tire?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Marin wrote:I have the 35mm Compass Bon Jon pass extralites. They work really well on gravel I rode in Austria and Croatia. Knobs are for mud but don't help at all on gravel in my experience.

No experience with Compass.... just Schwalbe G-One 700*35 and Hutchinson Overide 700*38.
These are not not as good as the side knobbed tires i have.
I talk only of cornering (leaning bike). But i ride where it's very much loose over hard.
Btw, i talk of dry condition.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ooo

by ooo

Can you recommend anything for loose sand in that range?
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Marin wrote:I have the 35mm Compass Bon Jon pass extralites. They work really well on gravel I rode in Austria and Croatia. Knobs are for mud but don't help at all on gravel in my experience.
Ah, good to know. I’m new to gravel, yet contemplating whether Bon Jon will be cush enough. If so, I could forget about 650b rim brake conversion. I assume ride quality will be superior on 42mm Babyshoe.

From direct experience, 32mm Panaracer GravelKing (non-SK) didn’t satisfy my needs on gravel. I understand that Bon Jon extralights is a big upgrade from my GravelKing.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Marin

by Marin

mpulsiv wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:07 am
32mm Panaracer GravelKing (non-SK) didn’t satisfy my needs on gravel.
Why didn't you like them?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Marin wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:04 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:07 am
32mm Panaracer GravelKing (non-SK) didn’t satisfy my needs on gravel.
Why didn't you like them?
I like them on pavement, supple ride, expecially on chipseal. However, on gravel it was quite rough. I start wondering how extra ~3mm (e.g. 35mm Bon Jon) can make difference. Granted, it will have to be extralites to make a fair comparison. This is the reason I start looking at 42mm Babyshoe with 650b rim brake conversion. :-?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

Marin

by Marin

Did you run low enough pressure?
- The ride of Compass ELs is better than GKs, but not *massively*.
- The ride of 35mm tires is is better than 32s, but not *massively* either.

FWIW, I'm running 2.7 bars on the Bon Jovies, and 3.5 on 32mm tires when I'm on mixed surface rides. Pure gravel would be lower, but I almost never have that. 77kg rider.

This is interesting: https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/from-t ... vel_468329

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Marin wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:21 am

FWIW, I'm running 2.7 bars on the Bon Jovies, and 3.5 on 32mm tires when I'm on mixed surface rides. Pure gravel would be lower, but I almost never have that. 77kg rider.

I was also running 3.5 bar (~50 psi) on my 32mm GravelKing. I'm a bit below 72kg. Sound like I may need to look into 650b conversion and mount 42mm Babyshoe for pure riding pleasure.

CBJ

by CBJ

Cool info on the Gravel king and stan's avion. I just got a bike with the wheelset and I really like the Graveking.

thefuzzycow

by thefuzzycow

On my Exploro,’I have a couple different wheel/tire options I like to choose from.
700 wheel is Roval SLX 24 (20mm internal)
I like running the GKSK tires as do most others. 700x38
LOVE my Teravail Cannonball 700x42 tires
WTB Nano 700x40

650b wheels are Reynolds ATR (23mm internal)
Donnelly X’plor 650x50
Schwalbe Thunder Burt 27.5x2.1”

I REALLY want to try the Panaracer Driver Pro 27.5x2.2” tires but I’m not sure if they’ll fit or not. They have a little bit more tread than the thunder Burt’s but still a minimal fast XC tire to ride gravel/trail/singleteack with. Good for winter trail riding!

FWIW, I’d be more willing to take a heavier tire with better performance than worry about weight. I’d rather have top performace, comfort and confidence in my tires over anything else. Especially if it’s coming down to riding in gnarly gravel or some trail and single track.
"moo"
Cervelo Aspero
Specialized Epic
Quintana Roo pr5

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

thefuzzycow wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:29 am

I REALLY want to try the Panaracer Driver Pro 27.5x2.2” tires but I’m not sure if they’ll fit or not. They have a little bit more tread than the thunder Burt’s but still a minimal fast XC tire to ride gravel/trail/singleteack with. Good for winter trail riding!
I've seem Bob Cummings set up his Exploro (3T / Panaracer team) with the Driver Pro on Stan's wheels. He complained of eTap F/D rub, but not tire/frame rub.

-SD

Aeo

by Aeo

mpulsiv wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 am
Marin wrote:

I was also running 3.5 bar (~50 psi) on my 32mm GravelKing. I'm a bit below 72kg. Sound like I may need to look into 650b conversion and mount 42mm Babyshoe for pure riding pleasure.
Gravelkings are available in more sizes now. 700x35 and also a few 650b versions.

I don't know if the higher price for Compass is justified.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

MattMay

by MattMay

I personally had trouble when I originally tried going the weight weenie route for my 3T Exploro. Tired a number of widths, makes and models. I had two wheel sets for gravel, 650 and 700, and found I prefer the 700s (23mm internal Ridefast Racing wheels) for where I ride (So California), so I sold the 650s. After much trial I finally settled on WTB Resolutes, 42mm. Love them. Not exactly light at 460g, but they are fast and trouble free. Just the right grip needed for dry and dusty roads/trails (many of which are rocky single track I ride w mtb). Easy to mount and air. 2 oz sealant is all you need. 38psi front, 40 rear. I’m 170 lbs. Total bike riding weight is 16.5 lbs.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Gran Fondo online site has just posted a comparison test of 10 37 mm to 43 mm gravel tires.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Aeo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:41 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 am
Marin wrote:

Gravelkings are available in more sizes now. 700x35 and also a few 650b versions.

I don't know if the higher price for Compass is justified.
I tested 38mm GravelKing slicks (320 grams) with Vittoria latex tubes. At 30-35 psi they are OK, but not as supple as I expected.
To answer your question - yes, Compass is worth paying for.

Same experience as Marin mentioned earlier, knobs are worthless on gravel and dirt. They only add weight and slow you down.
The only scenario I can think of is climbing out of saddle on steep hills. Your watts will make the tire chirp.