30+ teeth Campagnolo cassette?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Timo

by Timo

I run a long cage 10sp Campagnolo rear derailleur and a single 39t chainring. I've noticed that Campagnolo makes a 12-30 Centaur cassette but are there any options (aftermarket or with some DIY) to run 32 or 34 in the rear?
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

RussellS

by RussellS

IRD (Interloc Racing Design) makes a 10 speed Campagnolo compatible cassette with 11-32, 11-34, and 12-32 cogs.
http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes ... cassette-1
There are a couple other companies that make Campagnolo cassettes (fit Campagnolo hub bodies). Miche is one. Think there is another as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The RD still has to clear the large sprocket. 32T should be OK though not guaranteed. Clearing the 34T may or may not depending on the hangar + frame dimension.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

duende

by duende

Potenza 11-32

Timo

by Timo

Thanks, I think the long cage derailleur with only a 39 chainring in front leaves sufficient clearance. Potenza is 11sp, I suppose the sprockets from the cassette cannot be mixed use as 10sp?
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Potenza is 11-speed. OP is 10-speed. Buying a Potenza cassette just for the 32T is hardly cost-effective.

OP, I ran a Centaur 12-30 cassette on an older Centaur RD and was able to adjust it, but it was at the limit of the "H" screw.

There are enough variances in frame dropouts and hanger lengths, that giving definitive answers to your question is not possible.

Another thing is that the fact that it is long cage is irrelevant here. In fact a short cage would work fine in your case with a single front ring. The cage length is nothing to do with upper jockey to sprocket clearance.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have a 53/39t chainset on my commutor bike. For the rear cassette I have a miche 10 speed 12-29 but I replaced the 26T cog with a 27t and I replaced the last cog with a Miche 11 speed 32T cog. The limit stop does it's job as the spacing is incorrect but it does not matter as that gear is not indexed.

I use a record 10 speed med cage mech and all is well with good jockey wheel clearance but there is a lack of chain tension in 39/12 and 39/13T big deal I think as those are not gears I use but part of the issue is my chain is too long. I must shorten it.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I assume a Wolftooth extender would work if there was any clearance issue.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Timo wrote:Thanks, I think the long cage derailleur with only a 39 chainring in front leaves sufficient clearance. Potenza is 11sp, I suppose the sprockets from the cassette cannot be mixed use as 10sp?

11T sprockets in general are different thickness so if you were willing to do all the measurements and find a spacer / have a spacer made up, a loose sprocket might do - but the bottom 3 sprockets in Potenza are a triplet, not loose sprockets so you would have to use a third party sprocket like Miche.

As Bikerjulio says, the issue is sprocket clearance. You could use an extender to run the RD further away from the cassette so allowing big sprocket clearance but this is always at the cost of accurate indexing in the middle and smaller sprockets, plus the extra leverage exerted on the original hanger and on the upper pivot of the RD are not without their own ramifications.

As ever when you try to work outside a designed spec, a key question to ask yourself is one of "how many compromises in performance or longevity am I willing to accept" alongside of "if it all goes horribly wrong, what's the worst case scenario"? In this case, if you use a hanger extender, for instance, worst case might be that the original hanger bends or fails, rear mech goes into the rear wheel and you end up on the tarmac. It's a low risk but is it a risk you want to take? I wouldn't advise it ... but you might consider that kind of thing an acceptable chance to take.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

havana

by havana

Max for Miche is 30T is I'm not mistaken.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Edco (swiss) make up to a 32t in campy 11s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com