Orbea Terra 2017 Gravel/CX Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Hello guys,

As some will remember, Orbea introduced their Gravel/CX bike, last year in Interbike.
Photo: Jayson O'Mahoney | Gravel Cyclist

Here are some information about the bike;
http://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-te ... avel-bike/

Orbea said, bike will be officially introduced in the 3rd week of March (so most probably this week) and will be shipping will be start at the first week of April.
Link is here but not active yet: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/brands/terra/

Even if it is not introduced yet, you're able to order your bike through an Orbea dealer. I did order one with the Force 1 groupset and will be reviewing the bike here around May, after I had some kilometres on it.

edit:
Here is the review: http://www.g2cycling.club/orbea-terra/
Last edited by ToffieBoi on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lecter77

by lecter77

vision wheels looks very strong thanks for good information

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If you contact Orbea you will be setup for contact with a dealer. This way you can get a bike in the first run.
I contacted them, but when i told them i have an UP, it was silent.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Teaser is here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loscGeqNpKM

Official release will be 3rd of April. The MyO custom colours will be also available at the same date.
But still, I didn't get any update about the shipping dates

saeie1

by saeie1

I am currently riding a bicycle Orbea Orca. Thank you very much a good information.
Orbea a really good bike!

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

saeie1 wrote:I am currently riding a bicycle Orbea Orca. Thank you very much a good information.
Orbea a really good bike!

Same here. I am riding an Orca and really happy with it.
But my "go anywhere" tires are 27mm Challenge Paris Roubaix's and my rides always has some gravel part. So I thought, a gravel bike will be more useful for me.

Marin

by Marin

Same here, my go anywhere tires are usually 27 or 28mm, which means I can use my normal road bikes on all the roads & trails I usually ride, gravel included.

30+mm just feels slow even if it isn't, and this way I can use caliper brakes and enjoy a light bike :D

The Orbea looks nice, but gravel bikes are becoming the SUVs of the road bike world.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Jumping from 40-38-35-34mm's down to Schwalbe S-One 30mm, they're feeling like really fast tires.
Acceleration is incredible!
But they do not handle as well in the gravel. Much more bumpy, also much harsher and not same grip/ traction.
I just mounted Hutchinson Overide 38mm version. Hutchinson is not very wide in their sizes so these are the largest Hutchinson gravel tires.
Also used Black Mamba 34mm version. Really fast gravel tires with much better grip than i first assumed (very low knob pattern)
Overide seems to be more suited to both tarmac and gravel. I think the Black Mamba are the most supple of the less wide gravel/cx tires.
Also very light!
You should check Overide though!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Marin wrote:Same here, my go anywhere tires are usually 27 or 28mm, which means I can use my normal road bikes on all the roads & trails I usually ride, gravel included.

30+mm just feels slow even if it isn't, and this way I can use caliper brakes and enjoy a light bike :D

The Orbea looks nice, but gravel bikes are becoming the SUVs of the road bike world.

Maybe you are right. But I don't think a well designed gravel bike will be less efficient than a road bike, on a regular road.
But still, I can't say for sure until I got my new bike...

wheelsONfire wrote:Jumping from 40-38-35-34mm's down to Schwalbe S-One 30mm, they're feeling like really fast tires.
Acceleration is incredible!
But they do not handle as well in the gravel. Much more bumpy, also much harsher and not same grip/ traction.
I just mounted Hutchinson Overide 38mm version. Hutchinson is not very wide in their sizes so these are the largest Hutchinson gravel tires.
Also used Black Mamba 34mm version. Really fast gravel tires with much better grip than i first assumed (very low knob pattern)
Overide seems to be more suited to both tarmac and gravel. I think the Black Mamba are the most supple of the less wide gravel/cx tires.
Also very light!
You should check Overide though!

I have 27mm Challenge Paris Roubaix open tubulars at home, and bike will come with 40mm Schwalbe G-One's. I think for the beginning, this two tires will be enough for me. Around summer time, after I spend more on the gravel, I will decide what kind of tires I need.

About the Terra. The website is active now and there are two surprises. The distributor in Turkey, didn't have the Ultegra Di2 and Ultegra mechanical bikes on the list, while I was ordering my bike.
Here is the bike I ordered and can't wait to ride it!
https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/terra-m21-d

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's a pity they didn't have a version with better wheels.
Sadly there is no perfect chainring combo so far.
I would prefer 32/44.

Frame looks nice though!
A bit more heavy than i thought at 1190g.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Junior7

by Junior7

Excelent bike, I had orbea orca for 2 years

oldmac

by oldmac

The standover of size XS is 828. Is it correct?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Marin wrote:Same here, my go anywhere tires are usually 27 or 28mm, which means I can use my normal road bikes on all the roads & trails I usually ride, gravel included.

If you ride a gravel bike off-road, maybe even on rather rough terrain, i wonder if the lighest weight is prio one?
I imagine the stress on the frame is higher than that of pure tarmac.
Some seem to put gravel in same type of riding as a road bike.
But sure, if you ride fatter tires like 40mm they won't even feel as Schwalbes (ex) S-One tire.
I ran 7 different tires and the last was S-One. It felt like the bike almost would do a burn out compared to some other tires.
But when i finally hit the gravel, loose over hard and really crappy roads and trails, the 30mm tire felt harsh, bumpy and had not at all same grip and traction.
Finally, the fatter tires where actually faster on these types of terrain.

Fastest tire i have used which have better traction than you might think, is actually Hutchinson Black Mamba CX (34mm) tubeless.
Only tire i guess could be near this, is perhaps Panaracer Gravel King SK 35mm.
But i am not sure as i have not tested my pair yet. The Black Mambas works well on tarmac to.
To date, these are unquestionably the fastest gravel/cx tires i have tested.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

justaute

by justaute

wheelsONfire wrote:

If you ride a gravel bike off-road, maybe even on rather rough terrain, i wonder if the lighest weight is prio one?
I imagine the stress on the frame is higher than that of pure tarmac.
Some seem to put gravel in same type of riding as a road bike.
But sure, if you ride fatter tires like 40mm they won't even feel as Schwalbes (ex) S-One tire.
I ran 7 different tires and the last was S-One. It felt like the bike almost would do a burn out compared to some other tires.
But when i finally hit the gravel, loose over hard and really crappy roads and trails, the 30mm tire felt harsh, bumpy and had not at all same grip and traction.
Finally, the fatter tires where actually faster on these types of terrain.

Fastest tire i have used which have better traction than you might think, is actually Hutchinson Black Mamba CX (34mm) tubeless.
Only tire i guess could be near this, is perhaps Panaracer Gravel King SK 35mm.
But i am not sure as i have not tested my pair yet. The Black Mambas works well on tarmac to.
To date, these are unquestionably the fastest gravel/cx tires i have tested.

WOF...another interesting option is the Maxxis Rambler 40 (120tpi). At 40mm wide, the 120tpi version has a stated weight of only 375g. The couple of reviews I have read so far are quite favorable.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Have these tires to ofcourse. The issue is getting them seated (you'd need a compressor) or insert an inner tube and get them seated. Brake the bond at one side, take out the inner tube and then inflate them to get them seated. Last issue is to get them to actually hold air! Proved a bit difficult even with sealant.
This is with No tubes rims!
Otherwise a nice tire! But be aware you may need to use an innertube.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com