Orbea Terra 2017 Gravel/CX Bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

justaute

by justaute

wheelsONfire wrote:Have these tires to ofcourse. The issue is getting them seated (you'd need a compressor) or insert an inner tube and get them seated. Brake the bond at one side, take out the inner tube and then inflate them to get them seated. Last issue is to get them to actually hold air! Proved a bit difficult even with sealant.
This is with No tubes rims!
Otherwise a nice tire! But be aware you may need to use an innertube.

Yeah...read about the tire seating issues, both good and bad. It's interesting in that Maxxis MTB tires are so good, consistent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Got my bags for bikepacking today. I will strap my sleeping mattress to the handlebar and I am ready to go. (I need my Terra to be delivered first, of course)
Maxxis distributor here will send me a pair of Rambler 40 (120TPI) for testing soon. I will write about them here as well...

PocketGroove

by PocketGroove

Hey.

Any news on your Terra?

What size did you go with? It seems like that run a bit larger, as they have me fitted for a Small and I'm 176.5cm with a 77.5cm inseam.

I just ordered one after doing some research it seems like it has everything I'm wanting...and looks sweet to boot.
My short list of bikes included the Terra, the Vault Pivot, and Devinci Hatchet Carbon, and the Ridly X-trail Carbon. Ended up going for the Terra M21-D since I'm not a road racer and where I live in really flat. Seems like the best combination of wheels/sram groupset for my needs...also, that green paint is dope. haha.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

It's been 600 kilometres on my Terra.

About the sizes, you are right. Their M size is almost the same as another brands' 56cm road bikes. So you need to be really careful about it before the order.

On the road, I really enjoy the bike. It is not a road bike of course but with 27mm road tires it gives everything you need. I got many PR's and top 10's on Strava with this bike, I have no complaints.
On gravel, bike is fun! Has a really stable geometry, perfect on slow speeds but still fast enough on corners. But since that is my first gravel bike, I can't compare it with anything so for that, I recommend you Gravel Cyclist website. Jayson there took his Terra to the Dirty Kanza this year and I guess his review about the bike will be the most accurate one.

PocketGroove

by PocketGroove

Hey Toff!
Thanks for the reply and it's good to hear a response from someone who's riding one in the real world.
I had my bike shop order a small and a medium for me. The Spanish geometry is straight up retarded on this bike and there are numerous errors on their website that make it even more frustrating. There is nothing I can compare it too, so I'll just wait and ride both. Jayson is 5'11" and riding a small with an extended stem. Seems like riding a medium would be just fine for him! Ciao!

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Hot damn that Orbea looks nice!

The tyres look huge , are you getting along with the single ring for touring?
Ride it like you stole it

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

PocketGroove wrote:Hey Toff!
Thanks for the reply and it's good to hear a response from someone who's riding one in the real world.
I had my bike shop order a small and a medium for me. The Spanish geometry is straight up retarded on this bike and there are numerous errors on their website that make it even more frustrating. There is nothing I can compare it too, so I'll just wait and ride both. Jayson is 5'11" and riding a small with an extended stem. Seems like riding a medium would be just fine for him! Ciao!

:beerchug:

Actually geometry is good, problem is with the letters. I'm guessing that, they weren't able to design the bike smaller, so the smallest they have got the XS, which had to be an S.

Jayson and I are at the same height. He is riding an S and I went for size Medium. I normally like smaller frames but here I got the bigger option because I will use the bike for bikepacking this summer and wanted to use a frame-bag plus two bottles at the same time. With higher toptube of size Medium it was possible.

Tomstr wrote:Hot damn that Orbea looks nice!

The tyres look huge , are you getting along with the single ring for touring?

Thanks!
Single ring is, simple. On bad paved roads, I don't have to bother with front ring and chain tension. Chain never hits the chainstays and short up-downs during the ride doesn't make any problems. But for road riding, 11-36 cassette is a bit too wide and I am missing some gears at certain speeds.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

What about overlappng toe, do You have any of frame M size?

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Shmitt wrote:What about overlappng toe, do You have any of frame M size?

I didn't realize that during my rides. But even if there is, it never became a problem for me.
I will check it for you tomorrow morning during my ride :)

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Size 45 shoes and no, no toe overlap.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

ToffieBoi wrote:

Size 45 shoes and no, no toe overlap.

I have 44 in sidi, so it is good news for me .
Thank you.

Shmitt

by Shmitt

I did not see orbea terra in flesh, but what I can see at the pictures bike has eyelets for mounting mudguards.
Can You suggest what mudguards will be perfect with Terra and tyres 32cc?

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Shmitt wrote:I did not see orbea terra in flesh, but what I can see at the pictures bike has eyelets for mounting mudguards.
Can You suggest what mudguards will be perfect with Terra and tyres 32cc?

With 30-32mm tires, there is enough place for mudguards. That must fit without any problems.

LewisQC

by LewisQC

PocketGroove wrote:Hey.

Any news on your Terra?

What size did you go with? It seems like that run a bit larger, as they have me fitted for a Small and I'm 176.5cm with a 77.5cm inseam.

I just ordered one after doing some research it seems like it has everything I'm wanting...and looks sweet to boot.
My short list of bikes included the Terra, the Vault Pivot, and Devinci Hatchet Carbon, and the Ridly X-trail Carbon. Ended up going for the Terra M21-D since I'm not a road racer and where I live in really flat. Seems like the best combination of wheels/sram groupset for my needs...also, that green paint is dope. haha.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Your shopping list was almost identical to mine, just replace Pivot by Salsa Warbird... Have you ridden other bikes before ordering an Orbea? I'm leaning toward Devinci because it's a local cie but I have yet to try one (or any other bike on my list!). I will use the bike mainly for road duties but want a go-anywhere (or almost) bike and like bigger tires (I'm a mtbiker and fat biker).

Since it's weightweenies forum, I wonder if someone has a weight for a complete build...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PocketGroove

by PocketGroove

LewisQC wrote:Your shopping list was almost identical to mine, just replace Pivot by Salsa Warbird... Have you ridden other bikes before ordering an Orbea? I'm leaning toward Devinci because it's a local cie but I have yet to try one (or any other bike on my list!). I will use the bike mainly for road duties but want a go-anywhere (or almost) bike and like bigger tires (I'm a mtbiker and fat biker).

Since it's weightweenies forum, I wonder if someone has a weight for a complete build...

Hey Lewis,

In the end, I canceled my Terra order since the bike shop I ordered it from first said it was in stock...then it was a 1 month wait...then it became an indefinite wait. Also, the shop was out of state so I wasn't going to get any continued support on the purchase. At the same time, a bike i liked which was out of my price range, the 2017 Trek Domane SL 6 Disc, got a 1000 dollar price drop, because the 2018s were just released, and I have a Trek store here in town. So, I managed to score a highly reviewed $4500 bike with full ultegra, carbon wheels, and the front and rear iso-speed decouplers for $3500.

The more I shopped around and waited, the more I realized I would be using the bike for mainly road use, with the occasional unpaved trail ride, so the Domane was spot on for that use, and it can take up to 38mm-40mm tires, if I ever want to run something big and nobby.

Good luck on your search!