Colnago Prestige build - question about the supplied parts

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pezeke

by Pezeke

Fellow Colnago crossers,

I'm in the process of putting together a Prestige 2017. It will certainly be a sweet build. However, I'm not quite able to get my head around some of the parts supplied with the frame. See the picture.

1) The first came with the rest of the headset. It's a slightly conical ring. I'm not able to fit it with the rest of the headset, which seems fine without it (see picture). Is this ring for the headset at all?
2) The second is a thin metal shim that came attached to a velcro strap inside the bottom bracket. Is this one meant for the cranks? That doesn't make much sense to me.
3) The anti-slip paste. My assumption is that this is meant for the seatpost - correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Emailing Colnago directly was to no avail, unfortunately.

ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

Hi,
the metal ring is the crown race that would go on the fork steerer for the bottom bearing race to sit on, i'm not familiar with the forks and on some this bearing seat for the bottom bearing is built into the carbon layup.
Does the bottom bearing sit on a similar conical feature on the forks ?
if not fit this crown race to the fork steerer.

Your right about the carbon paste, its also useful for the stem to steerer clamp and stem clamp if you are using carbon bars.

The shim might be for the cranks but it will depend on the crank-set you run i guess. someone else can hopefully give you some more info.

Pezeke

by Pezeke

Many thanks for your reply, motorapido :beerchug:

I've played around a bit with the part in question, but it still doesn't seem to fit anywhere - nor on the fork steerer, as crown race. However, the bottom bearing can sit on it, but the part does not fit on the fork steerer. Here's my new take on it: Colnago supplies this part in case the fork is replaced, and the new fork does not accommodate direct bearing seating. Does this sound plausible? Is this common Colnago practise?

Here are some pictures - with and without the ring. I think it goes without saying that it is out of place on the picture with it.

ImageImage

motorapido

by motorapido

Well you definitely don't need it with those forks, its probable that Colnago have a generic headset kit for all there frames and parts are needed or not dependent on the frameset, certainly a lot easier than a bespoke head set kit for each frame type.

Pezeke

by Pezeke

Generic headset kit for different framesets - that would also make sense. Even for more costly brands like Colnago, I suppose.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Caveat upfront here is that I've never built a Prestige before, so I'm kind of guessing here but is the conical shaped piece the compression ring that would fit in the top bearing? Your headset cover looks very close to the top headset cup flange, so I'm wondering if you've got the compression ring in there.

The spacer that was attached via Velcro to the BB has me stumped. Did you buy this frame new with all supplied parts from Colnago. Since it was attached to the BB I'm wondering if it is some sort of spacer to move the crank out a bit to accommodate for altered chainline caused by the wider rear dropout spacing. Again, I'm just wondering but not sure.

I suppose you might be right about that being a spare baseplate for a fork that does not have the built in crown race, but I've never heard of them supplying something like that. So I'd say no, it's not common practice. And the bearing does not seem to be sitting on the built in crown race very well.

You know what I think "may" have happened.... is that they sent you the wrong headset... instead of the one for the fork with the built in crown race, they sent you the one for a fork that does not have the built in crown race. Not sure, but the more I look at it, and see the seemingly very "high" fit of that lower bearing on the built in crown race, that's what I think might have happened.

Could we see a couple more pics... one of what I think might be the compression ring turned sideways and on top, and one of the lower headtube/fork area with the bottom bearing in place and the fork inserted?

In fact, I just went back and had a closer look at your picture with the bearing on top of the piece in question. Do you see the little bevel on the bottom of it. That is definitely a base plate for a fork without a built in crown race so I'm thinking that the most probable thing here is that you have the wrong headset for that frame. The bevel is so that the "jaws" of a crown race puller can get under it and grap it when pulling it off. Not your fault... have them send you the correct one. Show them this thread.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Pezeke

by Pezeke

Thanks for trying to help out, Calnago. The frameset was bought directly from a Colnago dealer in Italy. It came factory fresh and unopened in its box. I'm thinking that the headset can't be that wrong when the rest of the parts seem to fit. I mean, if it was for, say, an aluminium fork, it wouldn't have come with the carbon steerer tube expander? Or do many carbon forks not have the built in crown race such as here?

As for the metal shim, I've assembled the cranks without it and everything seems fine.

The headset assembled without the mystery part. The bottom bearing goes nicely into the frame. It doesn't fit very snugly on the fork steerer in itself, but it seems like a solid fit once pushed into the frame.

Also without the part. The upper bearing, compression ring and upper cup. And again a nice fit when put together.

Finally some more pics of the ring in question. Hope they show its features better.

ImageImageImage

motorapido

by motorapido

well that mystery ring is definitely a fork crown race,
if the rest of the headset seems to fit properly and the forks are free to rotate without any rubbing, and there is no rock with the front brake on then it must be correct.

jcrr

by jcrr

+2

that's a crown race, no question.
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

kgbianchi

by kgbianchi

What is this Prestige being built with?

Pezeke

by Pezeke

The bike is built with a Campagnolo Potenza groupset, Tune TSR 27 Cross wheels and Juin F1 disc brakes. I'll post a pic when it's ready to roll!

Faapaa

by Faapaa

The crown race on a c60 is molded/integrated in the fork, looks similar on this prestige. Its also normal with a little gap between the lower bearing and fork crown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Seems like everything is fine, but the inclusion of that crown race and the mysterious extra spacer still has me wanting to know why it came with your frame. I managed to get access to a new Prestige the other day and briefly dropped the fork to see how it was set up. Here's a couple pics...

So, I was most interested in seeing where the bearing sat on the fork's built in crown race, to determine whether it sat lower than in the picture you showed of yours, which could indicate that while your bearing fits, it still may not be the correct one and that the correct one might sit lower, and minimizing the gap between the fork and the headtube. But it's hard for me to really say that there's any difference looking at the two. You decide. Still, in the meantime I would be interested to know why exactly the other crown race was included with your frame since it is clearly not even an option with the fork supplied, and what the heck that spacer is for. Looking at your pics of the crown race, it looks like there's a recess on the side that would sit hidden on top of the fork. Does the spacer fit into that recess? If so, maybe it is there to provide a bit more gap in the event that it is too close on some installs, sort of a use it if you need to and lose it if you don't, kind of thing. Similar to shimming the top above the compression ring if the headset cover rubs on the top of the headtube maybe. Still, it would only be applicable to a fork without a molded in crown race. If you find out anything further, please post what you find up here. I'll do the same.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

stormur

by stormur

BMC comes also ( frameset ) with crown race ... but there's steepless fork ( bearing seats on fork crown directly ). May be the case Colnago ( like BMC ) just put to box complete 3rd party headset (?) .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anicell

by anicell

Hi Sorry I know its unrelated to your question abut the parts for the build, but I am struggling to find info about real life tyre clearance on this frame.

Because of where I live and the terrain I'd like to be capable of putting 38-40mm tyres in it but unsure if these would fit.

Hope it has turned out well for you.

Thanks