Campagnolo 1x11 Question

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

For a new project I'm looking at running it 1x11 with a SR group set I have lying around. I'll be running 38t on the front, but the rear is where I'm confused.

The bike will be a go anywhere ride, so would like to run the widest possible cassette. Thinking Shimano 11-40/42. There shouldn't be too much trouble setting it up, but I'm going to need a fairly long chain to take up the slack.

I've seen the Potenza medium cage swap done to run a 2x11 11-32 go guessing this will work, or am I right in thinking an Athena triple RD will do the same trick?

Also as a follow up, what would be the largest cassette range I could run on a standard SR RD?

Marin

by Marin

No way will any Campy RD shift a 42t cassette.

38 / 11-32 is actually a decent 1x setup, but probably too hard for longer climbs where you want lower than 1:1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm going to throw this out there - I don't like the 1x setup on my gravel bike. I wish it was 2x and if I was rebuilding it with Campagnolo I'd try a 50/34 with the Potenza rear derailleur and the 32 cassette. That still might be enough gear for steep off-road climbs. It obviously would depend on your local geography.

duende

by duende

I run a 2X 50/34 with an 11-32 cassette on Chorus. SR could probably do the same. Also was considering a 1x set-up initially. But my road bike legs are just too accustomed to smaller incremental gearing shifts, so I chickened out and passed. Still want to try it someday.

I read somewhere on another forum, that a member replaced the cage on his rear derailluer with the potenza long cage... and that seemed to work well for him. Don't know the max gear he can have though.

AJS914

by AJS914

Another option may be a Roadlink extender:

http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Running 1x11, 38 front, 11-32 Rear. No issues at all. If there are any changes, I'd probably go for a wolf tooth road link.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

grover

by grover

What about Jtek Shiftmate 7
http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/shiftmate-7/

This will make your Campagnolo SR 11 Speed shifters shift a Shimano 10 Speed MTB derailleur perfectly across any 11 speed cassette. That derailleur also has a clutch which will improve chain retention.

There is no solution that mates Campagnolo 11 speed shifters to a SRAM or Shimano 11 speed mountain bike derailleur.

The 10 speed derailleur is meant to only shift up to a 36 tooth cog. But plenty of people got them working with a 40 or 42 tooth cassette. I'd stick to 40 to be safe. Combined with a 38 or 40 ring that sounds great.

Personally, I'd probably just run the groupset as a double with 34/46 rings and an 11-29 cassette.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Hmmm, some good thoughts, figured it would be a stretch to go above a 32. There isn't much I encounter that I can't go up in 39/28, so 38/32 should be more than enough.

Currently wanting to stick with 1x as I'm using a MTB srm for the bike with 120 and 80 bcd, so double rings are a bit unnecessary.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

glam2deaf wrote:Hmmm, some good thoughts, figured it would be a stretch to go above a 32. There isn't much I encounter that I can't go up in 39/28, so 38/32 should be more than enough.

Currently wanting to stick with 1x as I'm using a MTB srm for the bike with 120 and 80 bcd, so double rings are a bit unnecessary.

If you are running a SR with a 32 (and you might get away with it 1x on along hanger) you are outside the design spec for largest rear sprocket but then by running 1 x on a 38 in some ways you are a bit off-reservation anyway!

You may lose a bit of accuracy in the middle of the cassette. If it's 2015+ rather than pre 2015, the accuracy loss will be much less as the Embrace system will bring to top jockey up and forward a bit as you shift towards the middle and smaller sprockets & you have more freedom to play with chain length to optimise that, too, in a 1 x system. 2015+ RDs also give you more options & range as far as B-Screw / H-Screw adjsutments are concerned, to optimise top jockey vs cassette position.

J-Tek x Shimano / 10s - it's an option but depends what is meant by "shifts perfectly" - I'd say "shifts acceptably". All the J-Tek devices to is apply a linear modification to cable recovery vs mech movement. The problem is that Shimano cassettes and Campagnolo cassettes have two different approaches to sprocket spacing and that messes with really accurate shifting when RD & lever are intermixed. Some users notice, some don't.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

graeme_f_k wrote:

Perfect thank you, this is the sort of answer I was hoping for. Might give it a go, however XT Di2 seems like it's going to suit my original plan.

robertbb

by robertbb

I know this is an old thread, but think it's worth resurrecting because I'm looking at converting my Campy 11 alloy road bike (which really only gets used on the trainer nowadays) into a gravel bike. I already have a Potenza 11-32 cassette and my derailleur is a medium cage. A 1x11 setup intrigues me (and will work very well on my Elite Turbo Muin trainer, too... it's heavy resistance wise so I spend most of my time in the little chainring anyway) but I have zero experience with building this combo up.

The BB is BB86.

What crankset should I be looking at? Hoping for something cheap and non-descript so as not to ruin the Campy aesthetic. Cheers!

sqber

by sqber

Keep your crankset and ditch the small ring? Replace the front mech with a chain catcher or guide.

Miller

by Miller

I don't think 11-32 is wide enough for a one-by tranmission for a gravel bike. Honestly, you'd be better retaining a double chainset to get a wider range of gears. The main thing you need to go off-road is wider tyres - what can you fit into this alloy road bike?

robertbb

by robertbb

It'll handle 28's for sure. The rear *may* handle a 30 too... I have a single pivot brake that opens really wide and chainstays look generous enough.

Sexyh

by Sexyh

I have just assembled my so call gravel bike with SR 11 speed shifters, a mid cage SR rear derailluer, sram 11 speed 11-36 cassette, sram eagle 38t single chain ring ( together with a Paul component chain guide)

Of course i used a Wolf tooth roadlink and finally with Sram 12 speed chain...all worked well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com