How do the pro mechanics deal with centerlock rotor spacing issues?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ms6073

by ms6073

I have a flat mount disc brake bike and two tubeless disc brake road wheelsets built on DT Swiss 240s center-lock, straight pull road disc brake hubs with IceTech RT-99 140mm center-lock rotors. I used wheelset A to align calipers and when swapping wheels between bikes, the rear brake rotor spacing is dead on, but the front rotor sits more inboard and contacts the brake pads.

With 6-bolt ISO style hubs, I would use dosc brake rotor shims to adjust the spacing, but there does not seem to be similar available for center-lock hubs. I had a thought to use a .5 mm cassette shim, but the inner diameter is insufficient to clear the center-lock splines. So seeing as many pros at the CX world championships were running thru-axle equipped bikes with center-lock rotors, how are these pro's mechanics dealing with such inconsistencies?
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

by Weenie

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Use some cutters to cut the spacer at one point and the you can get it past the splines. Thats what i did on mine.

AJS914

by AJS914

I recently read a Leonnard Zinn column on Velonews where he was talking about bending the rotor to shape using this park tool:

http://www.parktool.com/product/rotor-truing-fork-dt-2

http://www.velonews.com/2016/11/bikes-a ... nce_424791

mattr

by mattr

I *think* problem solvers have centre lock shims listed. Or at least, they used to.

mattr

by mattr

Don't seem to have them listed. :/

Suppose you could cut a coke can up?

joejack951

by joejack951

Diameter over the centerlock splines is 35.5mm and the rotor to hub mating surface is right around 40mm on my Icetech rotors. If you get it over the splines, a 40mm OD by 34mm ID shim would stay nice and concentric based on my hubs' dimensions

Since you are in the US, check out www.mcmaster.com, they sell a 45mm OD x 35mm ID shim which ought to work. They have 0.1mm to 1mm thick options.

ms6073

by ms6073

joejack951 wrote:check out http://www.mcmaster.com, they sell a 45mm OD x 35mm ID shim which ought to work. They have 0.1mm to 1mm thick options.

Thanks everyone. I think the option above offers the best solution for dealing with cl rotor spacing issues for multiple wheelsets.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Of all the non-standards in this industry, you'd think disc hub manufacturers could all agree on setting the rotor a specific precise distance (12mm or whatever it usually is) from the hub axle contact edge (= frame dropout surface).

Understand that this can't take into account every rotor's thickness, but this would go a long way toward being able to insert your other disc wheel without having to re-bolt the caliper every dang time.

by Weenie