Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

by7

by by7

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:46 pm
Nice but you might want to remove the orange decal from the front derailleur cage befre you go ride.
ooppsss... well spotted.
As I said, because of the lockdown, I am going to wrap the bike in PE film and put to store until next season, it is going to be a long winter on indoor trainer... :cry: :cry:

NLC86

by NLC86

by Weenie

by7

by by7

NLC86 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:07 am
Another Carbonda 696?
https://bombtrack.com/2021-hook-ext-c/
a sort of drop-bar MTB....
I can't refrain to smile when I think how "aspirational" are gravel bikes becoming now... it is more like buying a dream of freedom than for their actual intended usage.
Long story short: if you really need a bike for multi-day loaded trips, do you really care about "carbon fiber" and all those sort of techie details...
My longest bike-packing trip was 35 days (on a MTB converted to drop bars, friction shifters) and I realized that #1 need was to have something bomb-proof and easy to be repaired in any given small shop along the route (broken spokes, tyres, even a craked frame once, etc)... 27.5" tyres/spokes are not easy to find, Sram stuff much more difficult than Shimano...

manusvelox

by manusvelox

I have been looking at various Shenzhen frames for my next gravel bike.

What do people think of the tantan gr040? The geo looks pretty solid, and Vivian has been responsive to my inquiry. Is there any reason to consider another frame for a gravel bike that is raced enough to use on the road?

by7

by by7

manusvelox wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 pm
I have been looking at various Shenzhen frames for my next gravel bike.

What do people think of the tantan gr040? The geo looks pretty solid, and Vivian has been responsive to my inquiry. Is there any reason to consider another frame for a gravel bike that is raced enough to use on the road?
Also from their shop on Taobao and sales record (for local china market), they look pretty solid company... my frame was definetely ok and aligned with expectations. Just pay attention to the paint that you ask for because my matt black is a dirt-magnet...Next time I would go for a glossy varnish.
What I love of "chinese frames" is that you can have all very standard specs (BSA86 BB, seatpost, headset, Shimano throuh axle), so it is then quite easy to have the built with whatever spec of components you like

Point

by Point

Has anyone found they can't reach Carbonda's website? It's been down for a few days, curious if it's technical difficulties or something else.
Burls Custom Ti
Rove ST Bikepacker
Instagram

emotive

by emotive

Point wrote:Has anyone found they can't reach Carbonda's website? It's been down for a few days, curious if it's technical difficulties or something else.
Yes. Some web hosting issue. I don’t imagine it is anything more serious, they have a lot of OEM customers so I imagine their business is quite healthy.

Point

by Point

emotive wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:50 pm
Point wrote:Has anyone found they can't reach Carbonda's website? It's been down for a few days, curious if it's technical difficulties or something else.
Yes. Some web hosting issue. I don’t imagine it is anything more serious, they have a lot of OEM customers so I imagine their business is quite healthy.
I'm inclined to agree, but the thought had crossed my mind that someone may have bought them. It's getting a bit silly how many brands are now selling the CFR696 as their own, and not only that, consumers seem to be catching on more too.
Burls Custom Ti
Rove ST Bikepacker
Instagram

Marin

by Marin

Can anyone suggest gravel forks that can take wide tires?

395mm axle to crown and around 70mm of space between the fork legs, not tapering too much towards the top? I want to be able to run 45mm, and 60mm for 27.5".

Found this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012744202.html

But ideally I'd prefer one from a proper Chinese brand - any ideas?

emotive

by emotive

Carbonda CFO606 fork is close. http://www.carbonda.com/accessory/fork-cx/90.html

One owner of the CFR696 Frameset (which includes this fork) has squeezed in a 650b Schwalbe G-One Speed 60mm on a 26mm ID 27.5 rim into this fork. See https://www.ridinggravel.com/forum/?p=p ... 1311842706

I run the Schwalbe Thunderburt 2.1 on a 28mm ID rim and it measures 55mm, and I would not choose to go wider in this fork.

Point

by Point

I've almost gone through with buying a Carbonda CFR696. Is there anything I should know before making the jump, anything I should request or look out for?

How does the paint seem? I've seen a few reports that it's quite delicate.
How easy are the axles to get hold of? Standard thread/thread pitch?
How easy are the mech hangers to get hold of?
Burls Custom Ti
Rove ST Bikepacker
Instagram

by7

by by7

1. Ask them a spare for everything. They will charge you but then you have peace of mind...
2. Ditto for the through axles...better buy from them
3. As any shipment from China, transit time is a key point and you better make 100% sure which carrier they are using. EMS is cheapest but slowest and least reliable plus you will get bogged into customs clearance fees, etc... I will definitely select their DDP option, it's definitely worthy the extra cost

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

olll

by olll

I'm looking for replacing my old steel CX for something lighter. I would like to have BB30 or PF30 so that I have the option to run singlespeed with a EBB adapter. Problem is that most (all?) open mold manufactors is building with BSA or BB386. Anyone know about options with PF30 or BB30?

(off topic, but also interested in suggestions that isn't open-mold nor carbon, but cheep :) )

Marin

by Marin

emotive wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:50 pm
Carbonda CFO606 fork is close. http://www.carbonda.com/accessory/fork-cx/90.html
Thanks that's extremely helpful! :thumbup:

by Weenie

by7

by by7

olll wrote:I'm looking for replacing my old steel CX for something lighter. I would like to have BB30 or PF30 so that I have the option to run singlespeed with a EBB adapter. Problem is that most (all?) open mold manufactors is building with BSA or BB386. Anyone know about options with PF30 or BB30?

(off topic, but also interested in suggestions that isn't open-mold nor carbon, but cheep :) )
Tantan gives you the option of PF30

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk