Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Velojonathan

by Velojonathan

I was also put off by the delay on the gr039 and + the high bb and went with the gr040. I also had Tantan paint a flared integrated drop bar I purchased from Yishun (https://www.yishunbike.com/new-carbon-r ... _p118.html) and had it sent directly to Tantan for painting.

The frame set and bar was sent out from China on June 11th and arrived to me on July 13th in California. I was not expecting it to come this quickly and don't even have all the parts for it yet.

If you check out Tantan on Instagram they have some photos of completed gr039's being sent out. They look really awesome, and am glad they lowered the bb but it's still too high for my needs.

Will post a full build of my GR 040 in the coming months. Doing an xtr, dura ace, grx di2 build with Easton Carbon 29er wheels and Easton Tubular Aero Wheels.

Targeting 17lbs 🤞and less than $2500 for the complete build with both wheel sets. May get closer to 3k tho.

by Weenie

Mimmo89

by Mimmo89

I narrowed my next bike down to GR039 and CFR505.

I was tempted to go with the first one, as it has a threaded BB (BSA), fully integrated cables and a lighter frame, but delays/no real life pictures and high bottom bracket put me off as well.

OTOH the CFR505 has a better geometry for me, a 3rd bottle cage mount and it seems like a proven frame.
So I contacted Carbonda, but they say they are out of stock except for size 60s and new stock "won't be available for at least this year", "because the factory's focus of work is temporarily not on this CFR505".
I was ok waiting, but next year is a bit too long.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a frame similar to these two?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Velojonathan

by Velojonathan

Thesis https://thesis.bike/ is using those same frames. Perhaps they have another factory they are getting them from.

If Tantan has the gr039 in stock they can probably get it to you pretty quick. They got me my gr040 in about 5 weeks start to finish including paint.

The Carbonda 505 and the gr039 are the two coolest looking open mold gravel bikes out there with round seatposts. So unless you want to go with a proprietary post or a less Gucci looking frame you have to pick between the two.

jever98

by jever98

The ICAN GRA02 looks quite nice, I find, but has slightly longer seat stays than the 505 (430 vs 420).
----
No longer in the industry

Mimmo89

by Mimmo89

Velojonathan wrote: So unless you want to go with a proprietary post or a less Gucci looking frame you have to pick between the two.
Did you have anything in your mind? Wouldn't mind a proprietary seatpost..

jever98 wrote:The ICAN GRA02 looks quite nice, I find, but has slightly longer seat stays than the 505 (430 vs 420).
I'll check the GRA02 out, thanks.

Chonker

by Chonker

Does anyone know what tyre width in 650b the GR040 will take?

happysoul

by happysoul

Hello fellow riders,

Very interesting topic. Thanks for all the information given.

I'm also looking at buying a frame from Tan Tan. Was mostly looking at the GR029 that is not that expensive on Aliexpress (I live in SEA so Aliexpress is a good buying platform for me taxe wise).

Has anyone here some real life experience with that frame sold by Tan Tan or Seraph stores ?

Second question, where do you get your frames from ? Is it Tan Tan website (tantancycling.com) or Aliexpress Seraph official store or Seraph factory store or elswhere ?

Thanks in advance for your answers, cheers !

Mimmo89

by Mimmo89

So, I finally decided to "risk" it and buy a GR039 frame size 52 from TanTan, to be kitted with a GRX800 2x and some Light Bicycle wheelsets, one 700c and one 650b.

Frame + fork + headset + handlebar + seatpost + spare derailleur hanger + DPD shipping to UK + PayPal fees + 2 colours custom paintjob came at 929 USD (or 730 GBP).

Estimated delivery is end of October.

English is obviously not my mother tongue and Vivian from TanTan really tried hard and was very helpful, but, man, was it a struggle at times to communicate. It took some 60 emails back and forth to get it done.

And now the wait begins.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Just got the On One Free Ranger a.k.a Carbonda GR696 and it is amazing, in my limited experience of gravel it certainly feels fast and responsive on both road and gravel

Link in Signature for build

jever98

by jever98

Sanfou wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:53 pm

Is this the 505 model? If so, have you finished your build with this frame? I'd love to hear your review on this frame.
I finished the build and have been riding it a fair bit. The frame is not mega compliant vertically compared to my Cannondale SuperX 2018, but handles very nicely and is fun to ride. A good value for money purchase, I would say.

Sorry for the pictures from the NDS...

Image Image Image Image
----
No longer in the industry

Frisco

by Frisco

Here’s the gr040 that replaced my GR039. GR040 is the same geometry as CFR696 from what I could tell, except the BB is BB86. It has a longer wheel base and chainstay, with significantly more tire clearance. I have 700x38 now and will try 43. It took 6 weeks to get due to the increased shipping time.

The only difficulty that I had during the build was routing the Di2 wire through the chainstay. The connector end kept getting stuck at the narrow point of the chainstay, and I ended up cutting and resoldering the wire to get it built. I used an old mech wire with electrical tape or shrink wrap, but perhaps that increases the diameter too much. The vendor claimed it will go through with a magnet guide tool that snaps into the connector end, and I ordered one of the jagwire guide tools to try again so I can use a non soldered wire. If anyone else has routed the Di2 wire successfully through the chainstay please comment.

Also I forgot to weigh the bike, but It weighs a ton. The GR039 build came in right at 8kg, so I expect this will weigh in somewhere up around 8.5kg.

Mimmo89

by Mimmo89

Frisco wrote:Here’s the gr040 that replaced my GR039. GR040 is the same geometry as CFR696 from what I could tell, except the BB is BB86. It has a longer wheel base and chainstay, with significantly more tire clearance. I have 700x38 now and will try 43. It took 6 weeks to get due to the increased shipping time.

The only difficulty that I had during the build was routing the Di2 wire through the chainstay. The connector end kept getting stuck at the narrow point of the chainstay, and I ended up cutting and resoldering the wire to get it built. I used an old mech wire with electrical tape or shrink wrap, but perhaps that increases the diameter too much. The vendor claimed it will go through with a magnet guide tool that snaps into the connector end, and I ordered one of the jagwire guide tools to try again so I can use a non soldered wire. If anyone else has routed the Di2 wire successfully through the chainstay please comment.

Also I forgot to weigh the bike, but It weighs a ton. The GR039 build came in right at 8kg, so I expect this will weigh in somewhere up around 8.5kg.

Why did you replace your GR039, if I may ask?

wgmcg

by wgmcg

Hi Everbody,

I'm looking at both the tantan (seraph) Gr040 and the Carbonda cfr696. I like the stack/reach of the carbonda better, but I haven't gotten any response from them via email or the "inquiry" button on their website. Tantan however has replied promptly. Anybody have any luck getting hold of Carbonda recently? Thx.

Frisco

by Frisco

Mimmo89 wrote:
Why did you replace your GR039, if I may ask?

I think I posted about it - I never installed a chain catcher and damaged the BB. Di2 had been flawless, but I finally dropped the chain and it immediately got wedged between the chainrings and Bottom bracket. A chunk of carbon came out. It might have been rideable but I didn’t want to risk it. I might try to diy repair it, but I wanted to get back on the trail and ordered the new frame.

by Weenie

Frisco

by Frisco

wgmcg wrote:Hi Everbody,

I'm looking at both the tantan (seraph) Gr040 and the Carbonda cfr696. I like the stack/reach of the carbonda better, but I haven't gotten any response from them via email or the "inquiry" button on their website. Tantan however has replied promptly. Anybody have any luck getting hold of Carbonda recently? Thx.
The Carbonda guy was really slow to reply to me. They were also more for the price of the frame, paint, and shipping. I have good experience dealing with Tantan. The only issue is that they don’t want to ship via DHL now so you need to wait to ship by cargo boat.