Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kroem

by kroem

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:48 am
I have a raw UD carbon GR039 frame on order from Miraclebike.

First looked to buy it from Seraph (tantan) or some other manufacturer, but then it would be ready in the end of April or sometime in May... Okay, Miracle has not sent i it even though I ordered it a couple of weeks ago :P After weeks of trying to find one just before and in the middle of this corona crisis, Miracle was the only one to say they had one in stock, size 54.

Also wanted it in 3K matte finish, but then everyone said I need to order 25 or 50 frames minimum LOL. So will just have to go with UD and have it custom painted.

To make it a 6kg build or something like that, I also bought a custom 1040 gram (need to weigh it) wheelset from Timetec on aliexpress. Very helpful guy! Asked for custom turquoise nipples which he didn't have, so he outsourced for me and found the right one :) 250gram rims with DT swiss 180 EXP hubs and CX ray spokes.

Gonna be one exciting build :D I have a full SRAM AXS red Etap groupset to go with it, or a mullet build, because I am going with the AXS XX1 derailleur and cassette.
Nice! Sounds like one hell of a build. Looking forward to some pics!

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

eucalyptus wrote:
..., I also bought a custom 1040 gram (need to weigh it) wheelset from Timetec on aliexpress. Very helpful guy! Asked for custom turquoise nipples which he didn't have, so he outsourced for me and found the right one :) 250gram rims with DT swiss 180 EXP hubs and CX ray spokes.
1040gr !! Interest by this. Do you have a link ?

Thanks

by Weenie

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

1sanglier wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:02 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
..., I also bought a custom 1040 gram (need to weigh it) wheelset from Timetec on aliexpress. Very helpful guy! Asked for custom turquoise nipples which he didn't have, so he outsourced for me and found the right one :) 250gram rims with DT swiss 180 EXP hubs and CX ray spokes.

Thanks

There is no link for a complete wheelset as it is assembled/customized to my request :)

But here are two links to the rims.
Carbonfan also makes these rims, not sure if they make them or if they just buy and re-sell them to a higher price, because AFAIK they re-sell carbon frames. When I asked about the GR039, it turns out they buy them from Seraph (tantancycling). Although, REALLY good customer support from Arthur!
https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubeless ... -33mm-35mm

From timetech which I bought mine
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000326 ... 6a98PxpfNM

They are rated for 4 bar/60 psi, which is quite low as I am going for more of a road bike than pure gravel, not gonna run 40mm+ tires, for that I have my XC mtb...
On a side note, they offered to make a custom rim adding an extra 30 gram for each rim to be able to run higher pressure. Which I did not go for as I wanted to have the lightest wheelset possible :)

You could run these rims and hubs with BERD spokes, which would save you around 100 gram, the total weight would be just above 900g I think. But that would cost me an extra 900 bucks approximately, so not worth it imo. I also spoke to Pi-Ropes, which offered to take the rims and build a custom wheelset for me with their spokes and Newmen hubs. Although, they doubt the rims would be durable enough to drill enough large holes to fit the screws/nuts and pinpointed several risks. *Newmen hubs does not seem to be very light either...

I am gonna match these wheels with Barberi protection foam inserts and a pair of Vittoria terreno zero 35mm, that according to their website weigh 435g each.
https://www.vittoria.com/eu/terreno-zer ... ravel.html

emotive

by emotive

eucalyptus wrote:
I am gonna match these wheels with Barberi protection foam inserts and a pair of Vittoria terreno zero 35mm, that according to their website weigh 435g each.
If you are going for ultra light wheels wouldn’t you want to match them with ultra light tyres?

Rene Herse Extra Light 35mm are only 298g

137g x 2 tyres = 274g less. How much extra have you paid to save 274g on the wheels?

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

emotive wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:22 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
If you are going for ultra light wheels wouldn’t you want to match them with ultra light tyres?

Rene Herse Extra Light 35mm are only 298g

137g x 2 tyres = 274g less. How much extra have you paid to save 274g on the wheels?

You are most certainly right! I am still quite new to the bike industry and not much thought went into the choice of tires. Just knew that I didn't want go mainstream with the Schwalbe G-one :P :beerchug:

Vittoria have been really appealing to me to try since I saw the video of GCN visiting their factory. And I got a veeeery good price, paid like 60 euro for a pair :P

The Rene Herse is very appealing!!! Searching for a minute, they seem rather difficult to find in Europe with shipping to Sweden, not as common as the big brands.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

eucalyptus wrote:
1sanglier wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:02 pm
eucalyptus wrote:

Thanks

There is no link for a complete wheelset as it is assembled/customized to my request :)

But here are two links to the rims.
Carbonfan also makes these rims, not sure if they make them or if they just buy and re-sell them to a higher price, because AFAIK they re-sell carbon frames. When I asked about the GR039, it turns out they buy them from Seraph (tantancycling). Although, REALLY good customer support from Arthur!
https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubeless ... -33mm-35mm

From timetech which I bought mine
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000326 ... 6a98PxpfNM

They are rated for 4 bar/60 psi, which is quite low as I am going for more of a road bike than pure gravel, not gonna run 40mm+ tires, for that I have my XC mtb...
On a side note, they offered to make a custom rim adding an extra 30 gram for each rim to be able to run higher pressure. Which I did not go for as I wanted to have the lightest wheelset possible :)

You could run these rims and hubs with BERD spokes, which would save you around 100 gram, the total weight would be just above 900g I think. But that would cost me an extra 900 bucks approximately, so not worth it imo. I also spoke to Pi-Ropes, which offered to take the rims and build a custom wheelset for me with their spokes and Newmen hubs. Although, they doubt the rims would be durable enough to drill enough large holes to fit the screws/nuts and pinpointed several risks. *Newmen hubs does not seem to be very light either...

Tubolight are significantly lighter than the Barbieri inserts, FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerben321

by Gerben321

Gerben321 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:55 am
Hi guys, I'm looking for a carbon fiber frame to replace my Trek Crossrip frame. Could you suggest me one? I've added some background information to my needs in a topic here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160858&sid=87405362 ... 4af9eced10

Thanks in advance!
Anyone here that would be kind enough to advice me?

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Its been about 5 weeks now and Miraclebike shop still hasn't sent the frame I ordered :(

They say they tried 3 times with Hongkong EMS and that they always received it back.

So I am stuck. TantanCycle (Seraph) still do not have any frames ready and say they will be finished 15th of May. Last time they mid-end of April, so they are pushing the date all the time. They use DPD shipping instead. This sucks :(

I have everything except the frame. My new wheelset arrived without problems except for a 1-2 week delay. Instead of 1040 gram they came in at 999g haha :D

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Wow !!!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Ican cycling said this is the worst time to order big item from China to USA.
Ems in their area don't accept new big item to USA anymore. So the $80 shipping is out.
Then DHL normally cost $180 to ship (much faster than Ems but not worth it) also charge extra for this emergency situation and shipping become $230 to ship a frame.

They recommend to wait until airlines resume their schedule and shipping system become normal again to save $150 shipping cost.

3phase

by 3phase

Ruben58 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:44 pm
SOoooooooo, I orderdered a GR039. Current situation in China (corona), means it'll probably take a bit longer to get to the Netherlands tho...
Did you manage to receive your frame? Any updates on your build? interested in getting one :D

Ruben58

by Ruben58

3phase wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 am
Ruben58 wrote:
SOoooooooo, I orderdered a GR039. Current situation in China (corona), means it'll probably take a bit longer to get to the Netherlands tho...
Did you manage to receive your frame? Any updates on your build? interested in getting one :D
Ended up not feeling to happy about the suppliers communication so changed my order to Tantan (who I believe actually make the frame). Will hopefully receive it somewhere in may. Got all the parts ready: far sports 45x28mm 3k twill wheels. Dura ace shifters brakes and front mech and grx rear mech. Looking forward to seeing some builds pop up on here. I'm probably painting the frame myself so might take A while for it to be finished :D.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Ruben58 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:23 pm
3phase wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 am
Ruben58 wrote:
Ended up not feeling to happy about the suppliers communication so changed my order to Tantan (who I believe actually make the frame). Will hopefully receive it somewhere in may. Got all the parts ready: far sports 45x28mm 3k twill wheels. Dura ace shifters brakes and front mech and grx rear mech. Looking forward to seeing some builds pop up on here. I'm probably painting the frame myself so might take A while for it to be finished :D.

I am changing my order to Tantancycling (seraph) too. Miraclebikes communication is a lot better in terms of English, but they just cannot get it out of the country.
Tantan says they are starting to send the new frames out on 15th May and forward.

And Tantan has also updated the mold to BSA Bottom bracket instead of the previous PF30. Neither matter in my case because I will use BBinfinite bb :thumbup:

3phase

by 3phase

Yeah, Tantan did reply me quite fast. Still making up my mind though. Looking forward to all your builds

Twowheeler

by Twowheeler

Frisco wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 am
My GR030 is partially together - ultegra Di2, Far 700x30 40mm with 38mm GK SK, RX derailleur, 11-42T XT, 3T superghiaia bars, pro vibe stem, mandible clone cages. 6.5kg so far. Waiting on EC90 46/30 crank with cinch meter.

Hey Frisco - Your bike appears to be the same mold as my Angle Cycle AG338/Workswell WCB-R-125. I bought mine in 2018 too. Does your have a proprietary "D" shaped seat post? Who sold you the frame?

The bolts on the seat clamp have gone right through the carbon seatpost. I'm trying to find a replacement, and even a better solution to the seat clamp system.

by Weenie