Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

So I've been reading through this thread and looking at the seemingly infinite iterations of open mold frames, trying to compare geometries and I think I'm not more confused about sizing and geometry than before starting. I can't seem to find a good frame geometry, and even more lost when picking a size. I'm looking for a cyclocross frame. Currently, I'm riding a 58 Specialized Tarmac and a 61 Trek Checkpoint. The Tarmac feels good, though the Checkpoint feels big at times. I also rode a Trek Domane 60 in the past. I'm 190cm tall with a 90cm inseam. Going off my Tarmac, a 58 Crux seems to have a geometry I'm looking for. What frame and size would fit this description? I've looked at the Miracle CX535, ICAN AC388, Carbonda CFR505, and Yishun 010-D.

Everytime I think I have a size picked, one measurement jumps out to me as being way off. I may be overthinking this.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

motorapido wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:59 pm
Finally got mine up and running, Hadelei Tideace CX039 TA 3T Exploro Clone,

Road setup,
ImageIMG_5364 by Paul Townsend, on Flickr
OffRoad setup,
ImageIMG_5370 by Paul Townsend, on Flickr

Drivetrain is FSAcranks Shimano Di2 mechs and shift levers customised to fit SRAM HydroR brakes,
Curious how this has been working out for you. Thinking of getting one, but I've seen on other foums where people have been having issues with the frame cracking at the seat tube.

On a side note, was looking at your Flickr, some of that stuff is absolutely brilliant. I especially liked the clutched 6770 rear derailleur. Did you have to 3D print a part to make the Di2 levers work in the SRAM body? Obviously had to cut the lever, but looked like there was something else there.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

stevesbike

by stevesbike

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 pm
So I've been reading through this thread and looking at the seemingly infinite iterations of open mold frames, trying to compare geometries and I think I'm not more confused about sizing and geometry than before starting. I can't seem to find a good frame geometry, and even more lost when picking a size. I'm looking for a cyclocross frame. Currently, I'm riding a 58 Specialized Tarmac and a 61 Trek Checkpoint. The Tarmac feels good, though the Checkpoint feels big at times. I also rode a Trek Domane 60 in the past. I'm 190cm tall with a 90cm inseam. Going off my Tarmac, a 58 Crux seems to have a geometry I'm looking for. What frame and size would fit this description? I've looked at the Miracle CX535, ICAN AC388, Carbonda CFR505, and Yishun 010-D.

Everytime I think I have a size picked, one measurement jumps out to me as being way off. I may be overthinking this.
depends on what ride characteristics you want - e.g., the Carbonda in XL looks similar to a 58 aspero in terms of wheelbase and reach - part of Cervelo's design goals was to stretch out wheebase for stability and pair the longer reach with a shorter stem. both have 1046 wheelbase. The L Carbonda is pretty short in terms of wheelbase so even if you could make up for reach in terms of stems, it's likely to feel less stable on technical stuff if you are doing that. The Yishin XL looks pretty close to the Crux in terms of wheelbase but 5mm shorter in terms of stack which could be made up for with stem length (unless you want less reach on a cx bike).

motorapido

by motorapido

Hi IrrelevantD, no issues with it so far other than not getting much time to ride it. No issues with the seat tube, i think plenty of carbon paste and a grease on the faces of the clamp, along with a calibrated torque wrench should see no issues. That cam seatpost clamp can transfer a lot of force so just tigthening it to try to fix a slipping seatpost should be treated with caution.

As for the flickR stuff, thanks for your comments, and yes both the clutched mech and the Di2 lever mod required RP parts to be made. I use a UK based company called Digits2widgits ( they have now changed there name i believe). They uses a sintered nylon material, you get a decent finish that can be sanded too smooth it out fully. But i tend to give a coat of auto high build primer to sand back to a decent finish without loosing size on the parts. They are the cheapest place i have found and give a quik turnaround.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

motorapido wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:26 pm
Hi IrrelevantD, no issues with it so far other than not getting much time to ride it. No issues with the seat tube, i think plenty of carbon paste and a grease on the faces of the clamp, along with a calibrated torque wrench should see no issues. That cam seatpost clamp can transfer a lot of force so just tigthening it to try to fix a slipping seatpost should be treated with caution.
So, would you suspect the instances of people reporting the seat tube splitting in the back at the top might be due to overtightening and not using carbon paste as opposed to an actual issue with the frame design or build quality? I haven't seen them, but on the Riding Gravel forums, people have reported the same issue on genuine 3Ts as well. I would think if the cam is similar design, and people are over torquing it, it might explain this.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

motorapido

by motorapido

Its not the best design i've seen as the load of the rider and the load from the clamp are concentrated in the same area of the frame, but you would of thought that that was factored in and the layup altered in that area to take the load. The constant tension applied by the clamp acting on the seatpost, and then the additonal shocks of the rider on rough ground could overstress that area. From what i can work out the cam clamp is the same design.

Its a 3 piece design a similar to many other integrated seatpost clamps. the top clamp houses the bolt head, the bottom portion the thread and then the wedge in between is squeeezed up against the seatpost. The top and bottom pieces reacting against the frame.
Greasing the bolt thread and the sliding surfaces of the clamp on clamp and then carbon paste on the seatpost and inside the frame should give the best chance of it holding at a relatively low bolt torque.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

stevesbike wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:25 am
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 pm

depends on what ride characteristics you want - e.g., the Carbonda in XL looks similar to a 58 aspero in terms of wheelbase and reach - part of Cervelo's design goals was to stretch out wheebase for stability and pair the longer reach with a shorter stem. both have 1046 wheelbase. The L Carbonda is pretty short in terms of wheelbase so even if you could make up for reach in terms of stems, it's likely to feel less stable on technical stuff if you are doing that. The Yishin XL looks pretty close to the Crux in terms of wheelbase but 5mm shorter in terms of stack which could be made up for with stem length (unless you want less reach on a cx bike).
I'm definitely looking for a more CX specific frame. I don't really want a super long wheelbase, so I think the Yishun would be a better fit.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

So I did a test ride on a Cervelo Aspero today and the fit is just about perfect for what I'm wanting. I've been looking at the Exploro/CX039, but the Aspero just hits the sweet spot. I'm looking at getting rid of my road and CX bikes and going with one bike for both (2-3 wheels). I don't race, and don't do CX, but I want something that's fast enough on road to make me not miss my road bike (80% of use) but not completely out of place with big tires on gravel or light single track. Seems like these are the two that tick the boxes.

I'm currently looking at the CX039 as a backup plan in case I can't convince my wife to let me drop a chunk of my bonus on a 3T or Aspero; but does anyone know of anything open mold that's even remotely close to the Aspero's geometry that can pull off 700x40~42c or 650bx47c~27.5x2.1?

emotive

by emotive

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 pm
So I did a test ride on a Cervelo Aspero today and the fit is just about perfect for what I'm wanting. I've been looking at the Exploro/CX039, but the Aspero just hits the sweet spot. I'm looking at getting rid of my road and CX bikes and going with one bike for both (2-3 wheels). I don't race, and don't do CX, but I want something that's fast enough on road to make me not miss my road bike (80% of use) but not completely out of place with big tires on gravel or light single track. Seems like these are the two that tick the boxes.

I'm currently looking at the CX039 as a backup plan in case I can't convince my wife to let me drop a chunk of my bonus on a 3T or Aspero; but does anyone know of anything open mold that's even remotely close to the Aspero's geometry that can pull off 700x40~42c or 650bx47c~27.5x2.1?
Yishun G010-D. https://www.yishunbike.com/disc-brake-c ... d_p46.html
Clearance for 700x45. Should clear 650c x 47
Stack (Medium) 549 vs Aspero 555
Reach (Medium) 382 vs Aspero 388
Full geo comparison https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/cerv ... -d-2019-m/

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

emotive wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:10 pm

Yishun G010-D. https://www.yishunbike.com/disc-brake-c ... d_p46.html
Clearance for 700x45. Should clear 650c x 47
Stack (Medium) 549 vs Aspero 555
Reach (Medium) 382 vs Aspero 388
Full geo comparison https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/cerv ... -d-2019-m/
Thanks for that, I think it might be a little smaller than I want to go. I'm right on the border between sizes for most brands and the Aspero is a near perfect match to my current Allez Sprint, which is the best fitting bike I can remember having. I've convinced my wife, I just have to sell my Sprint before I can get it.

Discodan

by Discodan

That looks very nice, it ticks a lot of boxes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk