Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ancker

by ancker

Ordered my CFR505 about two weeks ago.
Still waiting on paint samples and shipping estimates...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Thanks for all this info Metaluna. I also intend on installing di2 but I didn't know that I needed to specify the correct grommet. Aargh I hope they don't send it via slow shipping. And thank you for the info on the fenders. I was going to order some VeloOrange fenders but I wasn't sure what width to order. Like you, I went 650b with 47mm tires. WTB Byways to be exact. Looking forward to seeing your completed build!
Metaluna wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:13 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:20 pm
Metaluna wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:26 pm
I've got a query into Workswell to see if they sell replacements, in which case I'll just drill one of them and then keep a few spares in case I screw up
I am curious to read the response as I had asked if there would be any issues using Di2 with the frameset, but really did not get an answer. I would think it would be like my Scott Solace road disc frame which has two different inserts for the cable port, one for mechanical and a separate one for Di2.
Okay, it turns out they do have Di2-specific versions of the head tube grommet, so make sure you ask for them while ordering (I assume this applies to Carbonda as well).

It looks like the Di2 version is just a fully-drilled-out copy of the mechanical one, so once I confirm that they've shipped some spares (I don't know the price yet) I will probably just proceed with modifying the one I have rather than wait.

Also, they said the grommet for the FD cable is supposed to be removable as well. I'm trying to confirm if they have replacements for that too, since I'll probably break the one I have trying to get it out. I can get it to wiggle around, but it's in there *really* tight and, because of its location, I can't really get my fingers into the BB shell to get a good grip on the release tab. There really isn't a nice, straight path to it from the outside either, so getting needlenose pliers in there is tricky as well. I'll have to experiment a bit with various tools.

Also, I did a test fit of my 650b x 47mm wheel, and the clearance on the rear triangle is generous. At least an inch from the seatstays, seat tube, and seatstay bridge, and maybe 1/2" or more to the chainstays. IIRC, the front fork clearance was pretty good too, and there should be plenty of room for fenders with these tires. I think Workswell under-spec'ed the tire clearance. I went ahead and ordered some Planet Bike Cascadia ALX 650b x 60mm fenders. The Portland Design Works 650 Beasts are supposed to fit too, though they spec a max tire size of 46mm. They cost twice as much as the Planet Bikes but look much nicer, IMHO.

The good news so far is, even though I've been having a few glitches, I've been getting all the "right" answers from Workswell. Everything is removable and replaceable, plenty of tire clearance, the fork does have a fender mount on the fork crown, etc.

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Metaluna, what length bolts did you need to bolt your rear caliper to the frame?

Metaluna

by Metaluna

fasdflkjweorinjs wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:56 am
Metaluna, what length bolts did you need to bolt your rear caliper to the frame?
I forget the number off the top of my head, but the ones that came with the calipers in the Shimano Di2 ST-R8070 retail kit turned out to be the correct length for the WCB-R-146 (I think they were the ones for either 20 or 25mm chainstay width).

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Metaluna wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:36 pm
fasdflkjweorinjs wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:56 am
I forget the number off the top of my head, but the ones that came with the calipers in the Shimano Di2 ST-R8070 retail kit turned out to be the correct length for the WCB-R-146 (I think they were the ones for either 20 or 25mm chainstay width).
Cool. I checked my retail box and sure enough the screws fit as well!

I got an email from Coco from Workswell last night telling me they were out of the di2 grommet and were manufacturing more. Bah.

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

This is some *f##k* bullshit. The rear axle width is 12x142 however the actual axle required is longer than the shimano ax720 qr axle I have in my posession. WTF bike industry. *f##k* your *f##k* 'standards'.

Metaluna

by Metaluna

fasdflkjweorinjs wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:05 pm
Thanks for all this info Metaluna. I also intend on installing di2 but I didn't know that I needed to specify the correct grommet. Aargh I hope they don't send it via slow shipping. And thank you for the info on the fenders. I was going to order some VeloOrange fenders but I wasn't sure what width to order. Like you, I went 650b with 47mm tires. WTB Byways to be exact. Looking forward to seeing your completed build!

I've tweaked it a bit more since this photo was taken, but this is more or less the completed bike:

The front fender is a PB Cascadia ALX 650b. The pic shows a 700x35 Bontrager NCS on the rear because the Cascadia wasn't mountable at that time. The V-stays the PB ships with were way too short, so I had to order 375mm replacements (https://www.planetbike.com/store/produc ... ay-29.html). Notice how the fender mounting boss is high up on the seatstay instead of down around the dropout. This means a really long reach to the aft mounting tab on the fender (and a really short reach to the forward mounting tab, requring the stay to be cut down)

I also think the front fender might be rattling a bit over bumps, but I haven't confirmed it yet.

Anyway, if I were to do it over, I might give the VO Zeppelins a try, or some brand of 26" x 2.1" fenders, which are supposed to end up being just right for 47/48mm 650b's. Anything where the stays attach to the fender with a "hinge" (like the Bontrager, VO, and PDW 650 Beast) rather than two tabs like PB and SKS do.

Funny story: I was riding a (road) century on the Workswell a couple of weeks ago, and a guy pulls alongside me and asks if that's an electric. I'm like "well yeah, the shifting is electronic" Turns out he saw the fat tires and overall "chunkiness" of the frame (big square down tube, etc.) and thought I was on an e-bike! I said "Nope, I'm pushing those with my legs!"

ooo

by ooo

SC-CX35D - new model on speeder website
flat mount + 15x100 axle + fork with bad internal routing
routing is bad, because top exit is on the rear, not front

http://www.speedercycling.com/Carbon-Cy ... _p107.html

'

fa63

by fa63

Subscribing, as I intend to build an Open UP like bike, but I am too cheap to buy the real thing :)

kzy090

by kzy090

I wanted the Open U.P. but couldn't afford it.
Got a Edge-design Gravel frameset.
Cheap painting and screws, the rear tire clearance(2.1inch) is a little tight, but no other problem.
It's good from road rides to light single track!
Takes me to all kinds of places.
Love my bike!!

Relientk1202

by Relientk1202

Anyone with the Workswell 125 frame able to confirm the lower headset bearing specs? Mine froze up and I don't want to wait on one from China.

squirrelgripper

by squirrelgripper

I just bought the Velobuild version . It arrived within 6 business days of ordering to the USA. I have a quick question - where can I find a front axle? I tried a Fox mountain bike axle - the threads were correct (14 x 1.5mm) but it was too long, unfortunately. I need a 15 x 100mm front axle with road spacing, but have not been able to find one using Google.

UPDATE! I emailed Chris from Velobuild - he is going to mail out a front axle. He stated that it should have been included with the bike. Mistakes happen, I'm happy that he was helpful.

Really excited about this one!

MattD

by MattD

Looking at building up a Workswell WCB-R-146 as a commuting bike to replace my Soma Double Cross Disc. The workswell looks like it has mounts on the seatstays and could fit a rear rack, doubling up the dropout eyelets with the rear fender stays though I am a bit apprehensive on loading a carbon frame up with too much weight. I do however only commute with one pannier bag less than 10kg. Has anyone else run a rear rack on one of these frames?

The other option I was considering was running a full frame bag in the front triangle instead.

Workswell have this bike on their website but not their ali-express, those who have purchased, did you just email workswell directly? How did you make the payment? Paypal?

Metaluna

by Metaluna

MattD wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 pm
Looking at building up a Workswell WCB-R-146 as a commuting bike to replace my Soma Double Cross Disc. The workswell looks like it has mounts on the seatstays and could fit a rear rack, doubling up the dropout eyelets with the rear fender stays though I am a bit apprehensive on loading a carbon frame up with too much weight. I do however only commute with one pannier bag less than 10kg. Has anyone else run a rear rack on one of these frames?

The other option I was considering was running a full frame bag in the front triangle instead.
I've only run fenders on mine, but yes, all the mounts are there for a rear rack if you wanted to run one. You could ask Workswell what their max load rating is for the rack, but I suspect they'll quote a very generous number, and you'll then have to decide on your own how much to trust it anyway. For example, when i asked if they had a spec for maximum rider weight, I was quoted 200kg(!). Granted this seems like a pretty beefy frame, but I'm not sure I'd trust it with a 440lb rider on it!

Personally I think I'd feel comfortable riding with 10kg back there though, especially if you're only loading it up like that for commuting on paved roads and not banging down a rough trail.

When I bought mine they also offered me the option to drill the fork for a front rack, which I declined (didn't want to weaken it).

Workswell have this bike on their website but not their ali-express, those who have purchased, did you just email workswell directly? How did you make the payment? Paypal?
I just e-mailed directly using the contact link on their web page and one of their salespeople got back to me fairly quickly. I believe they had Paypal and one other payment option (something she called T/T but I forget what that was, maybe wire transfer). I used Paypal.

thprice

by thprice

Hi,
Has anyone built and put some rides into a Carbonda CFR696?
Interested to get some feedback on it.
Is it really 50 mm tire clearance for 700c wheels?
Frame build quality
Ride quality
etc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com